Author Topic: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.  (Read 83451 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2017, 10:57:04 PM »
Feel the wood Jo. Feel the wood.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2017, 03:41:06 AM »

Thanks Jim,

While it may seem long winded it is only by explaining every step that we can overcome the fear of castings some people suffer from  :-\.

Jo

Believe me Jo, at least as far as I'm concerned, you're accomplishing your objective. With my P & W castings, I've had absolutely no issues, but it's nice to know how to deal with any should they rear their ugly head.

Now on a completely different, and nosey note, what make of car is that in the background of the pic of your newly acquired bandsaw?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2017, 07:08:25 AM »
Now on a completely different, and nosey note, what make of car is that in the background of the pic of your newly acquired bandsaw?

That's my little "Pug" or Peugeot 206 Station Wagon. She's well over 10 years old now and still going strong. I keep thinking I should replace her but all the new cars that I like are huge in comparison so until I am forced to replace her she is staying  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2017, 07:17:38 AM »
Feel the wood Jo. Feel the wood.  ;D

Its my age Zee,  I have some vague recollections of trying to do things with the stuff when I was younger but every time I played with it went wrong or never did what I had hoped for, however much I tried with it   :paranoia:.

Castings are so much more easier to get along with, they don't have a mind of their own  ;).

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
The Band saw is in and tested: It cuts through 6mm Ali nicely, it runs a lot slower than I was expecting.

Now I just need to find a decent blade supplier  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
I would suggest you turn it 90degrees that way you can cut long items without hitting your wall

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2017, 05:24:08 PM »
I would suggest you turn it 90degrees that way you can cut long items without hitting your wall

It is easily turned if needed. But if it was left that way round the table sticks out into the garage further ;).

I had a flying visit from my supplier this afternoon who dropped off a couple of bits of metal to make the pistons and rods out of for these engines :) and I have just realised he also took home my new Stentor for a fondle.. I remember what it was like trying to get my R&B back when he looked after it  :facepalm:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
The Steam chests and covers have been machined as matching pairs to depth, height and width. In front of them are three bits of bar destined to become crossheads  :)

In theory the piston/crosshead is a forged casting but not with these engines  :disappointed: so I am taking the opportunity to make the piston rod out of stainless steel and to use those bits of EN1A as crossheads. If you have the casting then most of the piston rod and crosshead can be turned between centres  ;)

The rod part started as 12mmm diameter Stainless, turned to length, with a shoulder to go in the crosshead and a bit for the threaded section left on the end. The top slide was set up using the gash end of the stainless bar until I got the taper required. Then it is a case of turning the taper down until it blends correctly at the correct depth with the main rod and the bit that is going to be threaded.

Before anything moves the pistons tapers need to be machined and all of them fitted on the rods. So back to the three jaw and mount up the (still over diameter) piston ready for boring the taper.

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2017, 06:43:18 PM »
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6912.0;attach=63826;image

Good thing they put that warning sign on the saw, I was about to crawl in the bottom part and watch things go round and round  :lolb:

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »

Good thing they put that warning sign on the saw, I was about to crawl in the bottom part and watch things go round and round  :lolb:

Bill

It came out of a school at some point..Not sure why there is no warning sign on the lower door which the kids would easily be able to get at :headscratch:

Of course its age means there are no interlocks fitted to prevent those doors being opened while it goes round and round  :disappointed:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2017, 04:54:39 PM »
So having cut the tapers on the rods while everything is at the right angle it is time to cut the tapers inside the pistons. First drill 8mm for clearance for the thread on the end.

Then having marked the rod for the end of the taper see how far it fits into the piston. The final fit leaves the piston rod sticking out for 8.2mm instead of the 8.7mm it says on the drawings but I am laying bet that once the nut pulls the rod in it will move in a bit more. All three pistons were fitted to their respective rods before moving on to cut the threads on the end of the piston rods.

Mr Silky set himself up for a spot of thread cutting and using one of those nice "I can't believe how cheap they are from China" tipped carbide threading tools the 22 TPI thread was cut and a die run down to clean up any sharp edges. Quick check that the piston fits on and is tightened on nicely. Two more rods to thread cut, then I will need to make some matching nice Stainless nuts  :).

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2017, 01:36:44 PM »
Having screw threaded the ends of all the rods I just checked the bored diameters to turn the pistons to fit only to find the No 5A cylinder is not only over sized but also tapered   :ShakeHead:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
The offending cylinder has been re-bored on Tgs and the top counter bore cut. Before moving anything the fit for the cover was checked, this is where remembering not to clamp the cylinder to the bed from the top face is important  ;)

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
Another unique feature  ::) What's the boring bar, HSS or one of the dubious geometry carbide tipped ones?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
Hi Roger,

That is a "german boring bar" It has an HSS tip and unlike some of the flexible carbide tipped ones it tends not to flex ::)

I am trying to stay focused on the medicine :wine1: Its so hard  :-\

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal