Author Topic: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.  (Read 83537 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.
« Reply #420 on: November 21, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »
Jo,

Thanks :-) I kinda wasn't familiar with the older Stuart engines that aren't on their current website.

That Swan is going to be a monster can't wait to see it running - any idea what it weighs ?

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #421 on: November 21, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
Jo,

That Swan is going to be a monster can't wait to see it running - any idea what it weighs ?

From what I've seen, it weighs a lot ... and then a bit more ... :)

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #422 on: November 21, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »
Thanks Peter,

The 5A is the single cylinder, the Swan is the double version of the 5A shown in that video. I am building one of each  ;).

That video shows all of the condenser stuff on the end of the engine but as it never really worked I won't be fitting it :disappointed:

Jo

I thought the Swan was the twin version of the Cygnet, both being for marine use whereas the 5A uses many of the same parts but is for land use as it comes with a spoked flywheel and none of the condensing gear or water/oil pumps

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #423 on: November 21, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
A young Swan

If you imagined the engine in that video with the left hand side lopped of so it was just one cylinder/A frame etc and the pumpos then that would be a Cygnet

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #424 on: November 21, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »
Ah ok thanks, aside from flywheel size and ancillaries like pumps etc it there any significant differences between and engine designed for land or marine use ?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #425 on: November 21, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »
No not much at all.

I think the Non Condensing Cygnet and the 5A were basically the same except the Cygnet did not come with the sub base as it was expected to be mounted in a hull and came with the disc flywheel as standard.

The 5A was available with the disc wheel in place of teh spoked one if required.

Weight of the Swan as Jo is building it is 23.5kg (52lbs). 32.5kg if it had all the pumps etc

If you ask Jo nicely she may show you a photo of her suppliers Commander which IS big

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #426 on: November 21, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »
No not much at all.

I think the Non Condensing Cygnet and the 5A were basically the same except the Cygnet did not come with the sub base as it was expected to be mounted in a hull and came with the disc flywheel as standard.

The 5A was available with the disc wheel in place of teh spoked one if required.

Weight of the Swan as Jo is building it is 23.5kg (52lbs). 32.5kg if it had all the pumps etc

If you ask Jo nicely she may show you a photo of her suppliers Commander which IS big

Thanks, I'm asking Jo nicely if she reads this.

I just thought the may have been minor differences in valve profile / size etc, presumably marine engines run slow but need high torque (or is the propshaft geared ?)

What would be a realistic RPM for something like a Swan at full throttle powering a real boat ?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #427 on: November 21, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »
For the Swan Stuarts state

Design speed upto 1000rpm
Pressure upto 100psi
Max power 3HP at 800rpm

Cygnet

5A
They just say that at 60psi 0.74kw has been attained

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #428 on: November 21, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
Peter: The 5A, Cygnet and Swan use the same drawings for the engine components and reversing gear.

The 5A has a box to sit on, basic flanges for Inlet and exhaust and choice of flywheels - plain or spoked. Reversing gear is extra as is the boiler feed pump ::)

Cygnet/Swan have different inlet/exhaust castings for oil feed etc. Reversing gear is standard, Swan has a double bed casting. No pumps unless you buy the entire condensing version.

:o Wheel valves were optional for the condensing arrangement... Back to the taper ones with the bendy bit  :facepalm:

jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #429 on: November 21, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
Cheers  :)

The 1000rpm suprises me, it seems a lot for an engine that size, it must be incredibly steam thirsty.

Here's a rather nice steam launch using a 5a :-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE873Rjy-8k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE873Rjy-8k</a>

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #430 on: November 29, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
following their day out at the traction engine meeting last Saturday I have been reviewing the status of both engines and at first look there seems little further to do  :) there is the pinning of the reversing gear, piston rings, some oil pot covers, the blowdowns  :facepalm2: and for the Swan the inlet/exhaust pipes plus oil clack. I am not sure if these will get done before Xmas as I am short of the copper pipes for the Swan  :facepalm:

In the meantime I think it is time to look at the next engine and start fondling the set of castings  :naughty:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #431 on: November 29, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
And the next engine would be???  :noidea:

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #432 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:30 AM »

Sitting on the dining room table  :naughty: I have been trying not to show them too much interest, they have only been out to the workshop a couple of times :embarassed:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #433 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
Such a tease...but you did hint that it would be an IC engine as i recall  :headscratch:

Bill

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »

Sitting on the dining room table  :naughty:
Jo

Well, that's narrowed the candidates down to about ten ....  :Lol:

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal