Author Topic: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.  (Read 83573 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: A simple Vertical Steam Engine.
« Reply #405 on: November 08, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
Those are probably the replacement hand pieces Chris. The one I was talking about is angled on the end and uses the latch type burrs that were also available from Foredom. It looks much more like the handpieces that dentists use. If I remember I will take a picture of it tonight.

Bill
Gotcha - those are available from other makers, but they start at close to $600.  :insane:    Cheaper to buy a Turbocarver instead.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #406 on: November 08, 2017, 03:55:50 PM »
You don't think they will get any cheaper  :lolb:

It would cost us in the UK almost what they are charging for each of the handsets to post one in country. How is any trader in the UK supposed to compete :Director: In the end there won't be any local traders  :disappointed: like most don't bother coming to the shows either :stickpoke:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #407 on: November 17, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
Looking at the drawings there is no drawing for the cladding  :headscratch: The Parts list mention a bit of Ali plate so I decided ok go for that. Some nice man had donated a couple of 1mm sheets of Ali to my stores so they were dusted off for use.

Having measured the cylinder height it was then a case of cutting the Ali to height plus a smidgen, before draw filing the top and bottom surfaces. To get the length I use a piece of paper as a template and then cut and draw filed the two ends. Having identified the locations of the two flat bits the Ali could be rolled to shape.

with the thickness of the cladding known it was time to reduce the width of the valve port face and to drill and tap for the exhaust. The cladding rapped round the cylinder and screwed into place allowed for the holes for the drain cocks to be drilled while on the cylinder.  :thinking: The cladding is going to leave a nasty gap around the exhaust flange  :thinking: the swan has a spacer  :thinking: I think I will be making three spacers..... Which of course are a really sensible thickness of 7.15mm so time to use some of my special (no expense incurred  :naughty: ) brown protected BMS and to take it to thickness.

Jo
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:46:40 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #408 on: November 17, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »
Did you not use that nice new (to you) bandsaw to cut up the sheet? Sun was out today so you would not have had to pay for the lecky ;)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #409 on: November 17, 2017, 06:27:12 PM »
At 10mm per stroke of the hacksaw it was not worth the time to go and change the skip blade to a metal cutting one.

The free lecky was keeping the workshop at a healthy 20 deg C.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #410 on: November 18, 2017, 04:09:52 PM »
One exhaust packing piece done and  :thinking: it does sort out that nasty gap you normally get with the cladding sheet around the exhaust fange.

And Spring has sprung in my garden I have my first two snowdrops out  ;D

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #411 on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:22 PM »

And Spring has sprung in my garden I have my first two snowdrops out  ;D

Jo
Wow - I knew you drove on the 'wrong' side of the road, but your seasons are backwards too!   :ROFL:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #412 on: November 19, 2017, 05:33:29 AM »
Hi Jo,

Didn't notice anything wrong with the season.  But that is a nice job of the cladding.  What size are those screws holding it in place?  And how much do they clear the corner stud holes by?

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #413 on: November 19, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »
Gil Garceau has just posted a video of a Stuart built version of the Swan with all the pumps on it, may be of interest

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173492

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »
Those are 6 BA screws MJM. Sadly the last of the brass screws I have as I gave buckets of them away and forgot to keep any for myself  :facepalm: So I will have to make some.

Thanks for the link. That engine has globe valves  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #415 on: November 19, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »

Those are 6 BA screws MJM. Sadly the last of the brass screws I have as I gave buckets of them away and forgot to keep any for myself  :facepalm: So I will have to make some.

Jo

Probably at variance with your 'inchy' lifestyle, but CPC have some fairly cheap M4 Brass Panheads.

http://cpc.farnell.com/w/search/prl/results?brand=concordia-technologies&st=brass+pan+head

Pretty gruesome as supplied but a quick swipe 'siding and facing' the heads in the lathe and they look much better.

Only M4 though ...  :(

Frozen fingers here ... back to my Bovril ....  :D

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
Frozen fingers here ... back to my Bovril ....  :D

Dave

Well if you will live in the chilly north  :lolb:

Glorious sun here glinting off some 6BA domed head screws I have just found   ;D So chromed ones or brassy ones  :thinking: One second you don't have any, next you have to choose.

Jo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:23:11 PM by Jo »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #417 on: November 19, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »
I like the brass Jo, but then again they are softer depending on what the base metal of the plated ones is.

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #418 on: November 21, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »
Jo,

I get a bit confused with all these engines you build at once and not always sure whether you are building a Swan, a 5a or a 5a twin (or all of them  ;) )

Anyway I thought this monster might be of interest to you  :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfkcGgZYKp4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfkcGgZYKp4</a>

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #419 on: November 21, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »
Thanks Peter,

The 5A is the single cylinder, the Swan is the double version of the 5A shown in that video. I am building one of each  ;).

That video shows all of the condenser stuff on the end of the engine but as it never really worked I won't be fitting it :disappointed:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal