Author Topic: From Maine, USA  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Marty Feldman

• Owl's Head, Maine, USA
From Maine, USA
« on: February 19, 2017, 03:11:34 AM »
Steamer has reminded me, for which I thank him, that I haven't posted a new-member intro.

I'm in Owl's Head, Maine, quite near the fine collection of old airplanes and cars at The Transportation Museum.  A visit there on a nice summer's weekend day when they are flying or having one of their specialty shows (motorcycles, old trucks, etc.) is a pleasant activity that I think most of the members on MEM would enjoy.  I and my wife are retired and have been Mainers, first as part-timers then as full-timers, for 30 years, after joint career in academics and medical research.

I first began on this site as a lurker after selling a Myford Super-7 to a member here, and have had a special interest in following Jo's excellent account of her construction of a Boulton & Watt 1802 bellcrank engine, as I am building a model of the same engine using a set of Anthony Mount's Polly castings.  In addition to such models I have been interested and active in model marine steam, welding, and blacksmithing, and have done a bit of fullsize boatbuilding.  I enjoy toolmaking.  Outside of shop work, I target shoot (air pistol and .45) and row (single sculling in a Van Dusen racing single).

I have a Clausing 5936 lathe and a Rockwell mill plus other common home workshop machines, including wheel and belt grinders, belt sander, scrollsaw, table saw, horizontal saw, Walker-Turner 16" vertical bandsaw, HS Hammer sensitive DP, and others, and the usual assortment of tooling to go with them.  I don't have room for two additional machines I'd like to own, a surface grinder and a planer.    I am a longtime member of the New England Model Engineering Society, based at the Museum of Industry, in Waltham, Massachusetts.

-Marty-

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: From Maine, USA
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:22:50 AM »
Thanks for the intro. Marty. Seems retirement keeps you busy, but hope you will continue to stop by here and tell us what you are up to in the shop.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25:01 AM »
Welcome Marty!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:44:02 AM »
Hi Marty and welcome to the group.

Vince

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »
Hi Marty,
Welcome to MEM!
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
Welcome to MEM, Marty.  :hi:

I Google mapped Owls Head, Maine. Nice area.........I can see why you've done a bit of full-size boat building. It seems like "Wooden Boat" magazine got it's start up there someplace.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
 :hi: Marty,

Yes must finish off those fasteners for the B&W   :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:04 PM »
Hi Marty
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal