Author Topic: Another Tiny IC Engine  (Read 66020 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Another Tiny IC Engine
« Reply #390 on: April 28, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
I am learning a ton too Kim, including how much I need to get my eyes examined  :lolb:. Seriously its been a fun project so far and more fun to be doing it along with Bob and Dave and with George's help along the way too!!

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #391 on: April 29, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
After a few morning errands, I wanted to get the spark plug finished up so I cam move on to the cylinder head. Once of the things that remained was to crimp the insulator into the metal body. The crimping collar has and OD of .180" and an ID of .160". Now a #2 center drill has a body diameter of around .186" so I center drilled the end of a piece of drill rod almost up to the full body diameter of the center drill then counter drilled it so the top of the insulator would slide completely up inside it (photo 1). Then holding the plug base in the 3 jaw, I slid the makeshift crimping tool over it (photo 2) and a few whacks with a tiny hammer and we have a nice crimp as shown in photo 3. Then finishing up the bottom to make everything flush as George said and polishing up the flats on the hex part and the plug is now finished as shown in the final photo.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
Nice looking plug Bill. Not to say that all the parts look great, excellent work buddy. Looks like your getting close to a runner.

Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
Son of a diddly: looks like a proper firing pin to me :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #394 on: April 29, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
Thanks Don, it shouldn't be too much longer before I can give it a try. Cletus, thanks for looking in also.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #395 on: April 29, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »
A bit more done this afternoon so far. I hadn't yet drilled and tapped the cylinder to hold the head so since I was setting up the RT I went ahead and did that, three 2-56 holes spaced 120 degrees apart (photos 1 & 2). Then I put the clearance holes in the head (photo 3) and a trial fit shoed that things line up just fine (photo 4). I opted to put the flat on the bottom of the head, so to insure that the flat would be parallel to the engine base I put two #43 clearance hole drills through the drilled holes and let the part rest on those in the vise, then milled off the flat (photo 5). The last photo shows the head back on the cylinder with the flat along the bottom where it will be at assembly. Will try to get a bit more done this afternoon, but the granddaughter's ballet program is doing Alice in Wonderland tonight so must go to that and looking forward to it!!

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #396 on: April 29, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »
A little more done this afternoon on the head. The ports for the valves and the first hole for the spark plug were drilled (photos 1 & 2) and the valve guides were installed (photo 3). That's all I will get done today. The ports for the muffler, carb and angled hole(s) for the spark plug I hope to  get done tomorrow.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #397 on: April 29, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
Nice work Professor. Must be to wet to mow : if what left here came your way

Cletus

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #398 on: April 29, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »
Wow, you on fire Bill.  Nicely done.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #399 on: April 29, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
Very nice!!

:popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2017, 12:47:13 AM »
Great work on the head. You re really moving on here Bill!
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2017, 02:57:59 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, hope there will be more tomorrow.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2017, 05:51:31 PM »
First up this morning was the port for the carb on the bottom of the head (photo 1). Then the same thing on the side of the head for the muffler attachment (photo 2). With these two things done photo 3 shows where things were then. Its starting to look like something now  :pinkelephant:. Then it was on to the angled hole for the spark plug. Photo 4 shows the overall setup using both the angle plate and the RT. Headroom was small but enough fortunately. Though I didn't take sequential pictures, I first milled a flat so that the drilling could be done from a flat plane. The large counterbore calls for .220" diameter but not having a 7/32" end mill, I milled to the required depth with a 3/16" end mill and then used the boring head to enlarge it to the .220' dimension (photo 5). The final result is shown in photo 6.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2017, 05:59:48 PM »
We have talked on recent pages on both this thread and Bob's about threading to a shoulder. I got as close as I could with the die, but had planned all along on using a washer to make up the space between the shoulder and the thread. The only copper I had was some 3/8" square stock so I mounted that in the 4 jaw, turned the OD, drilled the ID, and parted off a small washer, then cleaned it up on the surface plate with some fine grit paper (photo 1). Photos 2&3 show the washer next to and installed on the bottom of the spark plug, photo 4 shows the plug screwed into the head, and lastly, photo 5 is a semi-family shot of the head end of the engine, less the muffler and carb. The head still needs the tapped hole for mounting the standard for the rocker arm. More to come....

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #404 on: April 30, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »
Still following along and enjoying/learning  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: I do like the spark plug  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal