Author Topic: I can name this build in ( how many posts)  (Read 8754 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: I can name this build in ( how many posts)
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
The way I heard it on the aluminum foil, was that the shiny vs matte side just has to do with the rollers used to squish it out thin from the larger block, and that it does not matter which side is which when cooking. Though that could be wrong too...

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
The way I heard it on the aluminum foil, was that the shiny vs matte side just has to do with the rollers used to squish it out thin from the larger block, and that it does not matter which side is which when cooking. Though that could be wrong too...

The matt side is caused by the other side pressing against another piece of aluminium foil on the way through the roller (they squash two layers at the same time  ;) )

The shiny side can have a little lubricant left on it, but I am sure we all have swallowed kerosene residual every now and then  ::)

Jo
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:14:48 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
When do we get to see more swarf Cletus??  :stickpoke: Maybe you need to move the BBQ pit closer to the shop :)

Prof.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »
Well guys, Jo gets the prize on this one. For some reason they can't press roll foil to it's final thickness, so, they squash two together resulting in one matte and one shiny side. It then goes on a biwinder and is put  on gigantic rolls and shipped to the facility for packaging. However, when we went into startup, Alcoa was experimenting with a lazer slitter, remember, this was 1982. One of their main conserns was the consumer still had one matte and one shiny side. The jury is still out on the actual cooking aspects of "in or out " She's also correct on the kerosene. All of the roll presses were lubricated with kerosene. I was one of three heavy wall qualified welders that welded the pressure piping to the presses and we were told it's not a matter of if you are going to have a fire, but, when. All of the literally miles of piping was in  submarine like tunnels under the presses. We were drilled regularly on ScottAir Pak maneuvers and air quality was monitored closely. Did y'all know if you hold a Bic type lighter, unlit, next to an O2 sensor, it sets off all kinds of alarms and all personnel have to be evacuated for the safety patrol to come in and check it out  :shrug: :mischief: :LittleDevil:. Ahhhhh youth. Since Zee and I are the only two that treat or threads like this, let me share a bit of me day. For once in God knows how long, I was overstaffed today and Lou said: "Go to your shop and watch the gate, I'm sending you something " Folks, she either loves me or is testing me; here's what she sent:

Two of the staff. They walk in and said: "Miss Betty said get this damn place cleaned up" Life is good today  :cheers:. See, this thread is like a Forrest Gump box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get  :lolb:. Wear your safety glasses  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
If you are going to have shop gnomes, you could do a lot worse.
Showing my age I guess but I looked at the picture and thought "nice surface grinder!"

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 12:30:23 AM »
Hope you gave them a good tip Cletus  :LittleDevil: And I agree with John...helluva nice grinder....and now clean too!!!

Bill

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »
You lucky dog!

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 02:40:15 AM »
Cletus,
Nice surface grinder? Oh yeah, nice surface grinder. I have to admit liking the springer as well. I can tell I'm gonna have to take some pictures of my bike. Gotta admit a Daytona Orange R90 S has a little flash value. :lolb:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »

Here's my favorite

Decided to just order a bar of aluminum what for cutting the cases from

Cletus

Who cares what you're building!  :mischief: What I want to know is how many rolls of tin foil is in that aluminum bar!  :shrug:  :lolb:

Nice bikes. I had an Ultra Classic myself.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
Thanks guys. Bill, I think you and I were posting at the same time, more serious swarf coming this weekend I hope and they were on the clock: tip enough  :mischief: John, I know what you mean; all I was thinking is that I won't have to clean the chip pans  :lols. It really is a pretty nice table top grinder. Art, though I am a tattooed, pierced, Harley head, as long as it has two wheels, I'm digging it. Otto, what does Bill say? Someday you're the bug and someday you're the windshield. Oh BTW Otto, had a nice red ale on tap to sip whilst they cleaned  8). Jim, there ain't no telling how many potatoes you could wrap with the foil from that sucker.  :lolb: The old springer and I have seen a lot together: I'm glad it can't talk and I ain't telling  :mischief: :mischief:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal