Author Topic: Dubious honour  (Read 13717 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: Dubious honour
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »
Good decision.  Gold stars are something for kindergarten.

Marv,
Gold stars can also be used for comic relief. I had them in my notebook when I went to sea and I have whipped them out and stuck them on other members of the black gang when the notion struck. I even bagged the chief mate one day.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
I turned Karma on at the end of the first day.

This was because, if used correctly, that is if someone does an outstanding post and you really enjoyed it, you awarded a point.

Because of complaints, it is now turned off, and will NOT be reinstated.

John
[/quote
Hi Guys
I see there have been changes since I last logged on
I would like to communicate my apologies to the community at large as my concerns were more to do with the smites then the Karma as I felt they could not help but be abused sooner or later.
I now feel responsible for removing something from the site that many members liked.
It was not my intention
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
I turned Karma on at the end of the first day.

This was because, if used correctly, that is if someone does an outstanding post and you really enjoyed it, you awarded a point.

Because of complaints, it is now turned off, and will NOT be reinstated.

John
Hi Guys
I see there have been changes since I last logged on
I would like to communicate my apologies to the community at large as my concerns were more to do with the smites then the Karma as I felt they could not help but be abused sooner or later.
I now feel responsible for removing something from the site that many members liked.
It was not my intention
Pete

Pete.

Don't feel bad.

The Admins had already pretty much decided the Karma system wasn't going to add anything to the forum. I've seen "Karma" in various guises in varius forums over the years, and not once has it added anything except grief.

So, even had this topic not existed, the karma option would have been turned off again...

I personally am tempted to look at some kind of "this post was useful to me" marker, but that will be post-based not member based, if you see what I mean.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal