Author Topic: Elmers Beam Engine x 3  (Read 6771 times)

Offline mnay

Elmers Beam Engine x 3
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:12:54 PM »
After I modified my old Bridgeport type machine to CNC control I wanted a project that I could test it on.  I have built several engines, but have always been fascinated by a beam engine.  Elmer designed such simple elegant engines and his design seemed to be just what I wanted.  Of course I can not leave well enough alone, so I am scaling it up x 3 and will make a few changes to match my material and ideas.   
My first part to make was the flywheel

Offline mnay

Re: Elmers Beam Engine x 3
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »
Oops, how did that beam get in there.  I am working from memory and a stack of photos.  I guess it was the beam first, but I will get back to that.  I should have started the thread when I started the engine last year.
After cutting the flywheel shape out, I turned it in the lathe to true it up and shrunk  a brass ring on the OD  for appearance and weight.

Offline mnay

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
I then machined the eccentric blank on the lathe and then cut the eccentric on the cnc mill.  In the last post you can see it installed in the flywheel

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
Nice starts Mike. Based on my 1x scale one, your flywheel should be about 7.5" dia. That will b quite a good sized engine. The CNC sure did well on the flywheel spokes.   Keep it coming :)

Bill

Offline mnay

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
thanks Bill.
I don't have a lot of time for hobby, still working full time and wife, kids and grandkids, church etc,  but I feel like a lurker and that I need to contribute something to the forum.
I look at the forum every day during my lunchtime at work and learn so much from the group.  You have built some real neat machines.
Well, coffee break is over, better get back to work.
More to come.
Mike

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »
Mike, your contribution is very much appreciated and I am glad you enjoy the forum even if only checking in as you can through the day. I suspect many will be following along as you post this build.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
I don't have a lot of time for hobby, still working full time and wife, kids and grandkids, church etc,  but I feel like a lurker and that I need to contribute something to the forum.

Others may disagree...  ::) ...but I have no problem with a bit of lurking.

And everyone has something to contribute. It's just difficult for the contributor to know that.
Simply seeing someone enter the hobby, or show a pic or two...is contributing. It supports the hobby.

So... :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mnay

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
I did a thread on my cnc conversion on the HMEM forum.  My goal was to be able to switch from cnc to manual in a matter of minutes, and super accuracy wasn't required for my needs.  I just wanted to be able cut out the basic shapes of  parts when typically they are not critical to the thousandth and it worked out just fine.  I also had to do very little to modify the machine.  I have attached a  photo of how I mounted the steppers.  Both axis are similar.  I did not do the z axis yet.  I can remove 2 bolts, remove the belt and swing the motors out of the way in about 10 minutes, or i can just unplug the motors and turn the cranks will a little resistance from the motor magnets.  It has been fun
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:55:45 PM by mnay »

Offline mnay

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:19:33 PM »
Next parts up are the beam, base and standards.   Pretty straight forward mill and lathe work.  I just winged the design on the tall beam post.  The cylinder I made from 416 ss one of my favorite metals to work with.  I made the cylinder  head rod bore  taller than the plan and hope not to have to use the rod support that comes out of the side of the tall post.

Offline mnay

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
Base, cylinder, head, valve, piston rod

Offline mnay

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:59:03 PM »
The cranks. 
The method I like to use with this type of part is to cut the shape to depth in a thicker piece of material, go back with the DRO and put the holes where they go and then flip the part over and mill it off until it falls out.
I have made con rods and other parts using this method.  It isn't the way to make every part like this but for some it works well.  With some hand finishing and deburring you have a nice finished part.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
Good stuff Mike, and nice pictures to go with it too!!

Bill

Offline mnay

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »
I have a few more parts to check off the list
The valve and piston rod were basic turning jobs and I cut the shape of the eccentric follower on the mill.   The cylinder was made from 416 stainless, my favorite model making material.  I extended the fit for the rod on the cylinder head, hoping that i would not need another support for the rod.  May have to add it later.
Here is also the family shot so far.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »
Looks very substantial already.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline mnay

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »
After many months of work on the house and family activities I am ready to finish this project
more to come soon.

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »
Impressed, I made a x2 a couple of years ago and thats a bit of a beast so a x3 will be a handful.

I added a parallel linkage and a watts governor which both enhance the engine, the parallel linkage adds quite a bit of interest at the top end which looks a bit sparse to my eye 

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
Hello mnay,

Beautiful work and really like the Flywheel and the Supports.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline mnay

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2022, 05:29:14 AM »
It has been a while since I was able to work on this engine or any other hobby project.  We moved and I retired, and it took me couple of years to get settled.  After many months of working on the house, yard and new shop, I was able to finally get the shop set up the way I wanted. 

This was the first project to unpack and get back to.  With a couple of weeks of work in my spare time I was able to finish the rest of the parts and put it together.  I took me awhile to get the timing set, but it fired right up with just a few pounds of compressed air.

That will wrap this one up.  I can move on to the next project on my bucket list.

Mike

Offline mnay

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2022, 05:43:49 AM »
Here is a very short video link of the engine running.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KvAjRs5RJ4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KvAjRs5RJ4</a>

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2022, 04:21:42 PM »
Looks like a great runner, Mike!   :ThumbsUp:

And congratulations on retirement and on your new shop! Glad you're finally able to get some time to go and use it! :)

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2022, 10:06:29 PM »
I fully agree with Kim  :ThumbsUp:

You are set up for the rest of your life + a great finish to this project  :cheers:

Per

Offline mnay

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 04:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  It is good to get back to some hobby work again.
Mike

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 07:08:13 PM »
Nice work Mike!  I think the larger scale motor helps it run slower and adds to the elegance of it.  Love the brass flywheel rim too. :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal