Author Topic: AOG's version of the Reeves Popular single.  (Read 3469 times)

Offline AOG

AOG's version of the Reeves Popular single.
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
After being sick for the last 10 days I finally feel up to getting started on a new build. I decided I would do something simple while I figured out what my next big build will be. A trip to the closet of castings produced the castings for the Reeves Popular single that should fit the bill.

Let's get started. I pulled out the castings and the first thing that struck me is how small the engine is. It is about half the size of a PM 2a.

I started off by flattening the base using the mold lines as a reference.

Next I drilled four mounting holes into the base and tooling plate.

After bolting the standard to the tooling plate I milled the top flat and parallel to the base.

The piece was turned in the vise and milled flat. If you look at the picture you will see the hole for the PM 2A standard to help give a size reference.

Then the piece was flipped again and the other end of the crankshaft boss was milled flat.

Next I milled the pads for the intake and exhaust flat.

With the milling done it was time to drill the required holes. first the intake and exhaust were drilled and tapped.

Then the holes for the crankshaft and pivot pin were drilled and reamed.

Then it was time to drill the ports. That's where I ran into something I haven't seen before. The ports were drawn as a set of intersecting PCDs.

I didn't trust my layout skills to get them in the correct place so I drew up the ports in fusion 360 to get the linear dimensions and drilled the ports.

The last operation was to drill the oil port for the crankshaft.

That leaves me with this.

Till next time

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: AOG's version of the Reeves Popular single.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
Off to a flying start - looking great!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
Good progress Tony. That is a small engine.

I'm not clear on what "PCD" means. I see it listed on the plan a couple of times. Also, when you redrew it in fusion 360, I'm thinking that must have given you the x & y co-ordinents for the holes?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline AOG

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »
Jim PCD = circle diameter. What I did is I drew the three circles and then dimensioned the intercept points from the center of the big circle.

Tony

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »
Jim PCD = circle diameter. What I did is I drew the three circles and then dimensioned the intercept points from the center of the big circle.

Tony

Got it. Thanks.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »
Great start Tony. Should make a fine little engine and I love that it is out or bronze too!!

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:06:14 PM »
Great start Tony and it looks like you are damned near finished  :Jester:. I'll be watching the showcase  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline AOG

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:34 PM »
Time for the next update. The next part to be worked was the cylinder.   Both ends were faced and the center was bored and reamed. Then the back side was faced flat and the pivot hole drilled and reamed. Next it was over to the mill where the ports were drilled. Unfortunately the pics for those operations didn't come out. That's when I discovered a problem. When I faced the port surface in the lathe the part was left slightly oversized. I took it to dimension in the mill.

Next I centered up on the bore using my coaxial indicator.

Then I used the bolt circle function on my DRO to drill the mounting holes for the cylinder cover.

Then the cylinder was flipped and recentered. I started drilling the holes when something looked off. I recentered the DRO and I was off center. That's when I realized that I had forgotten to zero the DRO after centering the part.  After consulting with the forum on how to plug holes in Gunmetal, I decided to plug the holes with material from the chucking lug from the top cylinder cover. The cover casting was chucked in the three jaw and the lug was turned round.

Then the cover was chucked up on the lug and the locating boss and diameter were taken to size.

The part was reversed and a plug for the cylinder was turned and parted off.

The lug was cut off and the side faced to dimension.

Then the cover was taken to the mill, centered and the mounting holes were drilled using the DRO.

Then other cylinder cover was made using the same process. With the cylinder covers complete, I went back and plugged the bad holes in the cylinder and redrilled. The holes in the cylinder were tapped and the covers test fitted. I'll leave you with the following family shot.

Till next time

Tony

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:20 PM »
Good progress!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline AOG

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
Thanks Zee, time to continue. The next part was the piston. The blank was turned 4 thou undersized and grooved for an o-ring.

Then the piston was drilled, threaded and parted off.

Next up was the big end. It was supposed to be made from this little casting but it would have been very hard to hold so I made the part from bar stock. First I drilled and tapped the end to take the piston rod.

Then I turned down the outside to dimension.

Then it was over to the mill where the ends were flattened and the big end drilled.

The part was parted off and rounded over. Next I cut the piston rod and threaded both ends.

That completes the parts for the piston so I started on the flywheel. The chucking lug was tried up.

Then the part was flipped and the rim and sides were cleaned up.

The part was reversed again and the chucking lug removed and the center hole drilled and reamed.

The last step on the flywheel was to drill and tap for the setscrew.

The last assembly was the crank shaft. The crank was a casting that was cleaned up using the same process as the flywheel. Then it was drilled and tapped for the shaft.

The shaft and crank pin were cut and threaded.

The crank was mounted to the shaft and then trued up.

Then it was over to the mill where the hole for the crank pin was drilled and tapped.

Here is the assembled crankshaft.

The last thing I did was to lag the cylinder with some mahogany strips.

That completes the machining on this project. I will paint it and finish the lagging. I'll end with a final family shot. The next time you see it will be in the showcase.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »
The engine's done. It can be seen in the showcase at the following location

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=6950.msg143361#msg143361

Tony

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
 8)

You polished that one off nicely Tony: I think you deserve another set of castings  :).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal