Author Topic: Cart Me Off  (Read 25364 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Cart Me Off
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
I may have mentioned that I have a pair of Root and Vandervoort hit and miss engines to finish off but if I did not them I have the 5/16th scale Vertical and the 1/2 scale horizontal. As these had been 75% completed by a previous owner I won't do a build thread but thought I would post the build of the carts for them.

Starting off with the horizontal I was given a couple of photos of the desired type of cart, possibly a bit large for this engine which mostly just came on skids or occasionally a two wheeled barrow type cart at best.  So something was drawn up to suit wheels that could be made from available tube sizes and allow a decent amount of steering lock before the front wheels hit the rails. I also had to incorporate the fuel tank which is housed in the wooden frame.

This pic shows the rear axle brackets on the full size cart.

Not being the type to waste time fondling castings a couple of bits of bar that had been cut out of a crankshaft and a piece of angle iron were cut roughly to length.

The bar was milled down to a rectangular section then held in the 4-jaw to drill through 3/8" and turn a taper along part of it's length. The angle had one leg reduced to 3/4" internal and a recess milled to locate the bar. Also a small web was cut and filed up from some 1/8" offcuts and shallow locating grooves milled for that too.

After silver soldering the bits together they were cleaned up and the corners eased to make them look like cast items.

This is the front bolster that needed to be copied

It was made mostly from 1/8" flat bar with locating grooves as before which kept everything square while it was soldered. The pivot fork was turned and milled from some 2" bar, there is a matching 2" disc under the bolster for this to bear against.

I'm affraid I did not take many photos of the axle being made but it is basically a 9/16" rod reduced to 3/8" at each end for the wheels, a short section then reduced to 1/2" which the lobe shaped brackets fit to and a milled and turned central block that was slid along the axle before it was all soldered together. The pivot hole was then drilled through both parts.

The handle was just bent up from 2ft of 3/16" steel bar.

The front end assmbled

Wheels next time, J

Offline Marty Feldman

• Owl's Head, Maine, USA
Re: Cart Me Off
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
Very well executed assembly.
Unclear, though, concerning your method's saving time over the fondling route.  Is it the fettling time that produces the saving?  I think I have generally thought of castings as time savers.

-Marty-

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
Nice Fab work Jason!

Are these Randy Rockwell castings?

Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
Very nice fabrication work as usual, Jason. Thanks for sharing.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
Marty, that was a bit of a Joke aimed at Jo who seems to spend a lot of time handling her castings. But on a serious not for a one off job fabrication is often quicker that having to make patterns, get them cast and then machine the patterns. There would be almost as much work in making the pattern as fabricating the part. Had castings been available then yes very much faster.

Dave, Yes they are Randy Roclwell castings, they look to be good castings though I did not get to machine any on the horizontal as all that was left were the small fiddly bits, there are some to do on the vertical.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:00:03 PM »
Jason, I like the way your fabricated parts look like castings and now that I have a modest soldering set up I'd like to try fabricating small parts - do you apply anything like Milliput, JB Weld etc after soldering to round off the sharp corners ?

Peter.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
Yes, Usually use Milliput to add internal fillets, still to be done on these parts as I do it just before painting but here are a couple of others items that show the fillets added.

J

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »
Thanks, the parts are impressive  :)

At the moment I've only soldered brass and copper but hoping to try with a few small steel parts this week.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
I had based the design of the cart on stock sizes of ERW steel tube that I already had so first job on the wheels was to saw off a couple of rings of each diameter. These were then faced off to 3/4" wide and the wall thickness reduced to 3/32". I would have liked to have gone down  to 2mm thickness but without a 6-jaw chuck the rings would have distorted with the pressure from the jaws.

To save a bit of time and effort I drew out the basic shapes of the spoke discs and e-mailed the files to Lasermasters who sent me back these in 6mm steel which fitted the rims nicely.

First job was to machine some 2mm deep locating recesses and some hub halves to go into them which had a slight taper to represent the draft angle of a cast hub. The centre holes were left undersize at this stage.

It was then just a case of mounting the embrio spoke disc on the rotary table and milling down each side of the spokes to form the "+" section and then thinning down the remaining outer web.

With a bolt through the hub and some packing to raise the rim to half way it was just a case of silver soldering it all together.

After a quick soak in the acid pickle to clean things up the wheels were held in the 3 jaw chuck and the bore opened out to 3/8" which ensures they will run true even if anything moved during soldering.

I also made a few "D" pins to keep the wheels in place, some square nuts and modified the stock heads of some M6 coach bolts to look a bit more scale plus a couple of square headed sets to lock the rear axle and fork retaining collar in place.

Tank and woodwork next.

J

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
Very nice fabrication on the wheels there Jason.  I have so much more appreciation for the fab work you do now!  Its always been impressive, but now that I've tried my hand at a few small pieces, I understand the skill involved so much better (skill I don't yet have!).
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »
Indeed. I always love seeing your fab. work Jason.

Bill

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
A neat way to make the wheels.

mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »
One feature of the R&V is that it has the fuel tank housed within the timber frame of the sled/cart. Unfortunately the previous builder had use a larger diameter tube than specified and also of very thick wall which not only would weaken the sled but also weighed a ton.

Not wanting to waste the old tank I cut off the ends, you can see one to the left and then made new ones you can see the new end in the middle and the spare metal to the right.

I also cut off the two bosses and turned away the remaining bits of tank, these bosses were then resoldered into a new length of thin wall brass tube that had the chrome plate sanded off. The knurling on the existing caps is not 100% but it will all be painted to look like it is galvanized so should be OK.

A few bit sof oak were planed up and assembled into a frame and the hardware tried for size.

And a couple of shots with the engine stood in place

There is also a small wooden box to go on the front to house the battery and LT coil.

Time for some paint me thinks!

J

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 03:41:38 AM »
Looks great, Jason!  Love the box joints on the wooden box. They look very sharp!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal