Author Topic: Lombard sled  (Read 1758 times)

Offline rspringer

Lombard sled
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »
I thought I would start a new thread.  The progress on the Lombard sleds is coming along very well
  Although a little slow.  They are almost finished.  Pictures to follow.

Offline rspringer

Re: Lombard sled
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:26:30 PM »
 This is a picture I got off the internet.. A group of students recreated one using old castings and new timbers.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
I changed some things, I used this picture and the original paten drawings.  I used a little artistic license and combined the two.  It is after all my shop and railroad.  We use what we have and like.  Be aware that the Railroad is just about broke and doesn't have a lot of fancy machinery.  Also the shop foreman/crew has some limitations/libations at times..  NOTICE here at the RR we are firm believers in angle grinder engineering.  Why use a machine or machinist when a grinder is at hand.  Interchangeable parts is a concept that is unheard of out here in the back woods.  All of the parts started out as raw stock.  Nuts, bolts, lumber.  I did buy some chain and clips at the end of the chain.  I tried making the chain but it was not going to happen.  I don't have any shop elves that will help.  I only have Leroy, he is the one dressed in brown.  But he stays on the bottle most of the time.  That would explain some of the not so straight lines and the heads of the hand forged bolts and nuts not being the same.  He is on the payroll whether we have legit work or not.  He was responsible for the hundreds of bolts and nuts.  We have a well stocked junk yard.       

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 07:48:58 PM »
Coming together well!

I see on the Maine museum page that they have been doing some tests with the gas Lombard and their sleds, loading up just a couple of logs and dragging them through the snow to figure things out before they try a full load of logs.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 09:06:24 PM »
Two more all most finished  the table is 4 feet long.  Leroy was in the army (GI Joe) in another life.  Some of the fasteners are not finished and details are yet to be added. I have not figured out how I want the hold the logs on the bunk yet.  I am also looking for a couple of horses about 12 inches high to pull it around at the logging meets.  That is it for a while, putting it on back burner for a while.  Going to play trains for a while and I have a Shay that need some attention.  Hope to have it running by the end of March.  It is logging time here in the early spring before it gets too hot.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:33:23 AM by rspringer »

Offline rspringer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 09:14:46 PM »
Chris it turned out a little bigger than yours. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 09:21:48 PM »
Looks terrific!  Love to see some shots of your Shay too...

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 09:43:56 PM »

Speaking of "bigger", I can recommend some good photo resizing software.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal