Author Topic: Wheel guards for a tool grinder help  (Read 1984 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Wheel guards for a tool grinder help
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:53:03 PM »
I bought a 1920's vintage Cincinnati Tool & Cutter grinder last year. After some major renovations it is ready for use.
The motor was mounted to the side, preventing 180 degrees of the unit from being used. Having mounted the motor above the spindle, I now need to make some wheel guards.

I have 3" wide .125 thick steel for the guard. I need some advice on bending this into a semi circle. I don't have a hydraulic press. I do have some 3" pipe and a 4 jaw 5.5" diameter chuck to size it with.

Obligatory photos:

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Wheel guards for a tool grinder help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »
directly over head is correct.   That was probably originally driven by a line shaft.

What does the business end of the spindle look like?

You will want to rotate the guard around the spindle axis for best coverage depending on set up

Oxy Acetylene torch and a hammer over a piece of pipe will work.    A stout sauce pan would do as well!     

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »
Two ways to approach a guard.
Mrpete222 here
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_voboE8-Zy8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_voboE8-Zy8</a>

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?p=142077#p142077
Best,
Stan

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 11:41:40 PM »
Thank you both for the advice. I had given up looking for the right sized pan at the usual thrift stores, seems a lot of people need them as none to be found!
While trimming the ragged end of the 3.5" heating pipe from 1910 (I love old stuff can't you tell) it dawned on me that I could cut a slice out of the periphery and open up the pipe to the diameter I needed.
So, off to the vise with a big hammer. After some selective beatings I have a segment that is 5.5" diameter. A bit of welding and trimming resulted in a back plate mounted.
A bit of hex was drilled out to 7/16 to take a rod that I saved from a 1970's ICT keypunch.

Some more welding coming up to attach mounts to the motor mount and to the guard. Then time for a test run. I should be able to do the same for the other end where I have 5" and 6" wheels.

The first photo below is in answer to Dave.
The wheels except the cup one are mounted on arbors with 3" to the foot taper. The cup wheel I will probably leave mounted all the time, it is lh thread and I don't have an arbor for that one. The spindle cartridge is not original, it would have been flat belt driven. The oiler holders are still present but no longer used. The cartridge has matched bearings so we (local rebuilder) decided not to mess with it. Price of bearings would mean this machine heads to scrap. The bearings seem ok so not too worried with the amount of use I will give it.

Gerrit

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:45:44 PM by gerritv »

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:20:02 AM »
Stan, I will be making a belt guard based on the first video, thank you.

Gerrit

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 12:53:13 AM »
The end result, a happy wheel guard.
Needs prettying up but fully functional.
Zeeprogrammer, in case you see this, single point threading was done on the mounting shaft. :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal