Author Topic: Mystery Monarch Lathe  (Read 4634 times)

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
Mystery Monarch Lathe
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:01:36 AM »
I ran across this Monarch lathe today and need some help figuring it out.  I am guessing a 12-13 throw and perhaps 30-36 inch bed.  Tail stock has what appears to be a small MT2? taper. Certainly is smaller than the MT3 tail stock on my Acra 1340 lathe.  Looks to be a collet chuck of some sort with a closer.  The unit is very heavy, over 4500lbs.   The actual working are between centers seems very small in relation to how massive the whole lathe seems.  It was surrounded by other stuff so getting a pic of the whole thing was not possible.  The chuck mount is somewhat unusual to me, but I am still too new to this game to know what I am looking at.  I would like to know what this would have been used for and if it could be adapted to hobby use.  I do have the means to move it and a shop to put it in.

Mike

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Mystery Monarch Lathe
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:08 AM »
I'm not a Monarch expert and the pictures are in too tight but it looks like a 10ee from what i can tell.  The spindle looks like it has protector on it for use with the  collet closer. 

If it is a 10ee, that is one of the greatest lathes ever made.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
I did a search for pics of the 10ee and that is what it looks like. 

Mike

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 07:18:42 AM »
I recommend that you get it home  then worry which model it is :naughty: What tooling does it come with. There does not seem to be much human wear on the paint it so there should not be much wear in the mechanics either .

Yes you can make models on it, both large and very small  ;D

Jo
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:24:05 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
10EE

With the speed dial

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
What does it have for Electrics?

Some of them were kinda flaky

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 03:26:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies,

Jo, I would love to get it home soon, but I have some negotiating first, be a week or so before that can happen.  No tooling comes with it, no chucks other than what is on it. It does have a DRO setup, which I forgot to take a picture of. 

Dave, I have no idea on the electrics other than it is 3 phase, but again I could not get into it too much as it was surrounded by lots of other stuff.

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Some had a proprietary Ac to DC variable speed drive that was just weird.    And complex.     Lots of people convert to vfd
Damned ijjit!

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »
Dave, I have a mill that runs on vfd so I am familiar with that process and am comfortable going that way if needed.  But that will have to wait to see if I can secure it or not.

Thanks

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »
No.  If it's the one I'm thinking of.   It's a motor/generator setthat then runs the Spindle motor through what they called a variation circuit.     Wickd bizzahh!
Damned ijjit!

Offline lohring

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
That's a Monarch 10ee square dial.  I own one from 1947.  It is one of the truly great engine lathes.  There have been many versions of the DC spindle drive system.  When it's working it gives exceptional smoothness and speed control.  The earliest versions used an AC motor driving a DC generator system.  Later versions had a tube DC voltage system.  Today you can buy a solid state DC power system.  My lathe has a modified version of the early drive.  I would be sure the spindle drive is running.  If not the Practical Machinist forum http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/ has very knowledge people who can help.  I have learned more than I wanted to know about the drive as well.  Let me know if you have questions.

Lohring Miller

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:37 AM »
Thanks Lohring, be a couple of weeks yet, but if I do end up with it, I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
Sorry I don't have the links for you. I was watching YouTube videos a few weeks ago on how these machines have been restored or modified and came across some discussion that SOME of the 10EE lathes were connected to Three-Phase power, but only needed it for coolant or some other purpose. The basic lathe operation did not require three phase. Some of the speed-control electronics used thyratron tubes, which for us old electronics guys is a walk down memory lane.

I want one, but not so strongly now that I know that getting and keeping the electronics in order could add a lot to the cost of the investment.

If the deal is good, go for it, but be prepared to do some work on it.

ShopShoe

Offline lohring

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
The motor generator drive is very rugged, but needs maintenance, especially brush replacement.  If it's been fooled with over the years there can be problems.  The AC voltage drives the AC motor section and the motor wiring needs to be 3 phase.  The motor probably can be wired for 220 or 440 volt.  Mine was.  Some people have thrown up their hands and replaced the DC drive with a 3 hp variable frequency drive.  The electrical part is easy, but you need to match the new motor output to the back gear gearbox input. 

I would stick with the motor generator system.  The tube system probably contains parts that are unavailable today.  In any case take a look at the forum I posted.  The lathe is much more capable than anything I've used.  The price I paid, $2500, is a bargain even with the problems.  Look for wear signs and be sure all the feeds and controls work.  Remember, this lathe comes from an era where people were cheap and technology was expensive.

Lohring Miller

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
Some more information

Model EE
P.E.C. No 3416-25-11-24
5-63MFG Date
Serial #41683
Hour Meter Reads 3430 Hours
Sony Magnescale LH10 Digital Readout