Author Topic: The new hydraulic press  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
The new hydraulic press
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
Hi guys & gals,
Well I decided it was time to finally do something about a "round tuit" that's been waiting for some years!
I brought a 10 ton ram & pump sometime ago with the idea to build a hydraulic press for the shop. Not long latter I was in the right place at the right time & scored an electronics support frame built like a battle ship that looked like it would do the job as the frame.
Time passed.......
Last year progress was made one day after being inspired by somebody here on internal threading photo Photo 1...."C" nut complete, got say if you want to try internal threading then 50 odd mm dia is a great place to start!
Photo 2... this is were it's to go
Then decided that we'll if you've got one project on the go why not another, photo 3....the squares are the support for the ram, the top plate is 6mm, the bottom 16mm & threaded. The C shapes are for the hydraulic rivet closer.

Photo 4....a helping hand to shorten the up rights.
Photo 5... the repurposed frame after the first up right was cut, Jo will be pleased
Photo 6.....drilling the top support frame holes in the up rights
Photo 7.... cutting the pump support on the new bandsaw table, love it when 1 project can be used on another!
Photo 8....frame finished with the ram installed

More to come

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: The new hydraulic press
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:19:16 AM »
Ok the last few..

Photo 9.....pump mounted up, had to weld a couple of extension, well 1/2 rounds really, to one end of the pump mount.......looks like they may even stay there.. :lolb:
Photo 10..... from a different angle
The only bits not shown in these two shots is the table
Photo 11.... all painted up & ready for work!

The table has 4 spacers made from heavy wall tube with 12 mm bolts holding it together. I was chatting to my dad about the build & he suggested that I put an extra set of pins in to support the table, which allows one set to be dropped down to the next set of holes if required with out having to hold the table & try to get the pins in. I spaced the holes at 50mm interval so plenty of adjustment. The ram can be slid left & right. Oh the C nut is put on the ram under the bottom support plate & prevents the ram rotating.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
 8) I like the ability to move the position of the ram.

I have a commercial one and the pins that hold the table in place are a bit longer so that you have a hand width to get hold of them for pulling out.

The only word of warning I will say is don't try pressing down onto a commercial Vee block  :hellno: I learnt to my own cost that what I thought was a ground steel block was cast Iron  :Doh:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »
Jo, your not the first, there was an article in ME a few years back I think it was ? Crisp the then editor how tried holding a round piece in his bench vice(don't know how long the pipe extension was), on tightening there was a click, and the V block fell in half.
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal