Author Topic: Minnie Traction Engine  (Read 4587 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Minnie Traction Engine
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
I've just completed finishing off a 1" scale traction engine its the well known Minnie by L.C.Mason , this particular engine has quite a long history, from the stamp on the Boiler it was made in the 1970 and the name on the valve chest is A.J.Stonard who for what ever only completed about 80% of it, about 10 years ago it was obtained by a Chap in Southhampton, I get into the story shortly after this:- when I was first setting up my workshop I started raising funds by making odds and ends and seling them on ebay one of the items I was making was the Minnie lubricator, this Chap bought one then over the years asked me to make other parts, eventually he said I have all the parts to complete the engine would I like to do the work, so over this last couple of months I've completed it.

Everything is done except for the steering chain the one I have doesn't have welded links and it keeps breaking, so I'm waiting on delivery of a better chain.

He're are some photos of the completed engine

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b0QZjp-K90" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b0QZjp-K90</a>

Stew

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:10:25 AM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Minnie Traction Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
Beautiful piece of machinery.
Thomas

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:03:28 AM »
Very nice Stew.
Bet you will be a little sorry to see her go, but the gent who owns her will be very happy to have her running!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 02:21:34 AM »
That looks beautiful and looks like it runs very well.  I would be tempted to tell the owner I "lost" it.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:04 AM »
Thanks for your interest and comments Guys.

That looks beautiful and looks like it runs very well.  I would be tempted to tell the owner I "lost" it.

John

Yes John I was very tempted to try and hang on to it.

At 1" scale its not really a practical engine to steam, but a lot are made solely as a decorative exhibit, I can appreciate its appeal in this respect.

Cheers
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal