Author Topic: Cowells Adventures  (Read 6645 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Cowells Adventures
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »
Well you didn't think I was going to  :stir: :stir: and just take off; did you? Professor, he's a pretty good looking old boy, even if he ain't a real big old boy  8). Is there a crossfeed or is it done with the compound? I love the color. That blue is darn close to the old Ford blue engine color. If that's a Warner tool holder, I now really appreciate the size. You might as well start building his muscles: brass next, then 12L, and then a little O1 for the backgear. I'm tickled for you Bill. Sure woulda thought for that money though, he'd done that "swarfless turning " :lolb: :lolb:. Tell everybody hey.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
Cletus, yes it has a crossfeed, not powered though. See the picture below, that handwheel is for the crossfeed. The longitudinal feed is via the handwheel at the tailstock end of the lathe or through the gear train for power feed or threading.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
Eric he needs go straight to some stainless or 4340 and thread it.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
A bit more exploration this morning. I wanted to see how the compound is held in/adjusted. You can see it removed in photo 1, by loosening two grub screws (one of the front and one on the rear of the crossslide. To adjust the angle is a simple matter of loosening those grub screws slightly rotating the compound and the retightening against that angled extension. Photo 2 shows the QC toolpost and yes Cletus that is a 1/4" Warner toolholder. The toolholders lock in to the dovetail on the toolpost via a SHCS which you can just barely see on the extreme roght of the photo. Not quite as convenient as a cam handle but solid none the less.

Mosey had asked about the hollow back chuck. Photo 3 shows the back side. The chuck key (not shown in this pic is more like a drill chuck key as to how it engages the back side of the scroll. Photo 4 shows the front side with the jaws out far enough to show the scroll.

While I had the chuck off, I put the collet closer on as shown in photos 5 & 6, I think I have some 1/4" 12L14 laying around so I will give that a try this afternoon. If not I know I have some 1/4" drill rod.

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
Just had a visit to the Cowells website.  Some beautiful machinery there.  I missed the original thread Bill, did you purchase from the website or buy a used machine?

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »
Phil, I ordered it from Colin at Cowells. We had emailed back and forth numerous times and he is a most helpful guy. He originally quoted delivery at around 12 weeks but it ended up being more like 9 weeks. There don't seem to be a lot if used machines on this side of the pond.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »
It looks like you are having fun with the new acquisition  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »
That looks so sweet. You are to be congratulated and envied.

By the way these machines were talked about I had been assuming that they were rare bits to be hunted down and collected. I did not realize that they could still be bought new.

So, from those who own them; with the threading are they the best machine to sit down at a small desk and enjoy a few hours making studs and linkages?

(I don't play Fantasy Football [American Game], but I have a constantly-changing fantasy workshop I think about when stuck in doctor's waiting rooms and similar places.)

ShopShoe

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
Hi, Does your lathe have Norwich cast into the base ?? if so it was made in Norwich 100 yards from where i live !!!!!!!!!The factory is now in Brightlingsea where i used to go sailing..........Small World ! But then England is quite small !!!
Willbert
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:16:12 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
I have looked at the underside but didn't take note of the markings. I will look this evening and let you know.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »
There is too much swarf on Little C for me to be willing to try looking  :paranoia:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
Bill. Jo will not be happy until you start machining casings on it.!  ;D

Nick

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
Willy, I checked and mine looks just like the one in your photo...Norwich.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
Bill I am getting concerned we haven't seen any swarf from your new lathe for over a week  :noidea:.

I can only assume that you are enjoying yourself too much to remember to take pictures for you friends so we can appreciate it as well  :stickpoke:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
No swarf yet Jo, other than just some playing around. Have been finishing up a rather large CAD project for a guy that has the castings but not the CAD skills to produce the prints to go with them. Finally got the first draft of those finished up over the weekend. The Cowells first project has been identified though, but will take mill work as well on the Sherline. That will be George's "TINY" hit and miss engine based or Arv's original drawings. IN the process of gathering up the required materials to begin it so more to follow on that soon enough. Meanwhile lots of Cowells fondling going on, certainly don't want it feeling neglected :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal