Author Topic: .90 cu in, 30,000 RPM, 7.2 HP custom built nitro engine  (Read 129597 times)

Offline DRT

Re: .90 cu in, 30,000 RPM, 7.2 HP custom built nitro engine
« Reply #510 on: July 24, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »
James Allen..
There's the sine bar...  ;)I have absolutely nothing to say just continue. Every piece dowloaded and the words are recorded. You know it is going to the advanced model boating blog. It will never be lost. Im still trying to comprehend the sharpness on a wedge cut from the front to the back from 1/16th of an inch spring steel stock. You are rediculous James to only want a half inch of fin in the water at speed. :ShakeHead: Clearly you know how much reducing the drag pays back in speed. Tell Lukes US champion. I had to remind him your crapshooter also took worlds and was much faster than his electric one with ever single piece of hardware and IC motor building done by you. He spoke about Americans being behind I think he should come here and see some of the work the people are here doing. Im blown away by some of the stuff I see. It is extremely humbling for me and makes me feel small if I thought I'd actually accopmplished something.

JRBD would say your self "agrandizing" here. But we know he meant aggrandizing  LOL  :stir:

:cheers:
Hubert.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:31:00 PM by DRT »

Offline strictlybusiness1

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #511 on: July 25, 2020, 01:44:49 AM »
Hugh,

That's not a sine bar in the second photo. It's an electronic protractor, accurate to 1/10 of a degree. The thickness of any wedge shape at the leading edge was .010" of an inch. This included steel rudders, steel skid fins, & aluminum rudders. Careful rounding of the leading edge produces something that is sharp, but not sharp enough to cut your hand.

JA

Offline lohring

« Reply #512 on: August 23, 2020, 02:52:02 AM »
I was just notified that Jim died.  His service was today.

Lohring Miller

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #513 on: August 23, 2020, 10:02:22 AM »
Thank you for letting us know Lohring,

And a big thank you to Jim Allen for sharing his knowledge and experience with us in this tread for the last 6 years. We greatly benefitted from his contribution and he will be sadly missed.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #514 on: August 23, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »
I really hoped that Jim would have got more years - they did not have to be active here though ....

I know you will not check in here anymore Jim, but I still want to express my gratitude for sharing the huge amount of knowledge here    :cheers:

Thank you for letting us know Lohring.

Per

Offline nj111

« Reply #515 on: August 23, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »
So sorry to hear this news. This has been a hugely informative thread over a good few years. Jim's input here will be greatly missed.  I for one will certainly refer back to it in future.
Nick

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #516 on: August 23, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
So saddened to hear this sudden and totally unexpected announcement.

Jim's legacy on here should be long standing indeed - his exceptional workmanship and skill was (and should) be an inspiration to all.

RIP Jim, my condolences to your family

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #517 on: August 23, 2020, 01:39:26 PM »
So sad to hear. 

I am another who has appreciated and admired Jim’s work from the day I joined the forum.  He was always generous in sharing his knowledge and skill, a true gentleman in my view.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline DRT

« Reply #518 on: September 06, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »
@ Lohring
James should have been placed in the Namba and IMPBA hall of fames long ago. What steps are necessary in NAMBA and can u get that ball rolling. I nominated James about 7 years ago in IMPBA. I will do it again this year. It's way too little too late but homage needs to be paid as many already in there stayed glue to his motor threads and outstanding research and development. The truth is very few could duplicate the work sucessfully.

YT,
Hubert Hargett  IMPBA 20779S

Offline lohring

« Reply #519 on: September 09, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »
I don't know IMPBA's criteria, but Jim didn't meet NAMBA's for inclusion in the Hall ofFame.  He would need to be a long time NAMBA member who held local and national offices as well as his contributions to engine building.  There have been a few exceptions in recent nominations, but they weren't voted in.  The recent member who didn't officially meet the officer requirements had contributed more than most officers at the local and national levels for a very long time.

Lohring Miller

Offline DRT

« Reply #520 on: November 02, 2020, 07:51:45 PM »
Well then if that's the organization's take on James Allen id say both organization is full of losers  :embarassed: Holding office has zero to do with modeling accomplishments or motor building abilities. Well he's certainly in my hall of fame and that was always good enough for me. Sounds like good ole boy tactics to keep him out to me but anyway wats new. :pinkelephant: I guess the huge loss is above their heads like most of his work was.

Hubert
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:02:57 PM by DRT »

Offline DRT

« Reply #521 on: November 02, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
For the record some of JA's idea did make it to hobbyist. The toroidal head was one such item.  I know you still there JA and you are always in my heart. I wont let them deny you. I hope Les continues to develop the rod and double roller needle bearings.

http://performanceunlimitedproducts.com/racers-elite-marine.php

The Puppy...

Offline lohring

« Reply #522 on: November 03, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »
My article on my memories of Jim:
namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/October/14/#zoom=z

Lohring Miller

Offline RcTintin

« Reply #523 on: November 23, 2020, 12:40:34 AM »
I pop in here from time to time to see if there is any new pictures and posts on these amazing engines, only to just read that Jim has sadly passed away.

I did not know Jim personally, but he answered some questions of mine in private messages, and his knowledge was outstanding.

RIP Jim, and thank you for all the work you shared with us.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal