Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113390 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #660 on: August 29, 2017, 01:28:27 AM »
Yes!  Very exciting!  :cartwheel:
Waiting to hear all the exciting news as you break in your new machine!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #661 on: August 29, 2017, 01:45:07 AM »
Glad it is sorted now Zee. A sure cure for bum- itis!!

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #662 on: August 29, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »
Zee,
Great to see you got the lathe sorted out. My mill came w/o a plug so I had to go to home depot to get the plug and install it. I also had an interlock problem where while running the vibration would set off the belt cover interlock. They had an interlock kit that changed the switch and locking latch. Not been a problem since.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #663 on: August 29, 2017, 03:17:12 AM »
Thanks all.

Very exciting. I'm hoping to clean, calibrate, and break in the machines soon.

But I just know it won't be soon.  >:(
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #664 on: August 29, 2017, 07:04:57 AM »
You know...I haven't seen it in a while. Now I wonder if some one (i.e. T) took the opportunity of the remodeling to 'get rid' of some things.
Catch you later...I haven't seen my favorite sock, t-shirt, and unmentionable in a while. Time for a confrontation.

Yes. Sock. Singular.
What can I say?

That reminds me of something that happened at work a few years ago... It was mid Winter and I was discussing something with my French colleagues when one of the other Brits walked in in his best cycling lycra  :facepalm2:. He said something about it being warm in the office and thrust his had down the front of his cycling shorts and pulled out :o a thick woolly rolled up sock. He said something about "Winter needing an extra odd sock" and my French colleague said something about "You are only trying to make it look bigger"  :headscratch:

I took my four seasons rule in the following day   :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #665 on: September 01, 2017, 12:36:15 AM »
Zee, your first lathe project might likely be wood work. You will need a plank to protect the ways from bouncing chucks etc.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #666 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
Zee, your first lathe project might likely be wood work. You will need a plank to protect the ways from bouncing chucks etc.

Funny you mention that. It's been on my mind the last few days.

My plan was to clean, oil, and set up the machines this weekend but the family seems to have other plans.

I'm thinking of taking the advice of some and changing out the lathe oil after running in.
Calls for MobileGear 627 which apparently doesn't come in small quantities and is somewhat pricey.
Equivalents seem to have the same problem.

First though is to find out the quantity needed.

Both machines came configured in low speed.
But doesn't drilling with small bits generally need high speed?
I moved the belt on the mill to high speed. Odd thing is, the belt seems a bit looser than it was at low speed.
"To work. To work."

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #667 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »
Mobilgear 627 is also known as MOBILGEAR 600 XP 100. I would contact a distributor to see if available in quarts. XP 150 is available in gallon jugs. It is essentially a synthetic ISO 100 gear oil with additives.

I think the key component of these gear lubricants (and even way oil) is the moly. Taking regular extreme pressure gear oil and adding MolySlip or Liqui-Moly would seem a relatively easy way to perhaps get similar results without buying enough for several life times.

I did buy a bottle of way oil from Grizzly and put some in a squeeze bottle. Only need a very small amount, and it sticks in place unlike regular oils so I expect a bottle to last a long time.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #668 on: September 01, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
Zee, I think I remember seeing the oils in either McMaster or MSC in one gallon jugs. I know I bought some Mobil way and Mobile spindle oil in gallons from MSC.

Cletus

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #669 on: September 01, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »

While a board to protect the ways is a good idea, you may find it advantageous to additionally build a U-shaped block that holds chucks at the correct height for mounting/demounting.  (I don't think I could get any of my eight inch screw-on chucks mounted without such a tool.)

Other woodworking projects include...

A small shallow box to go on top of the headstock.  Inevitably, you'll put tools, etc. there and the sides of the box will prevent same from being accidentally swept off to land on a hard floor or, worse, a spinning chuck.

A similar shallow box fitted with battens to sit outboard of the tailstock.  The battens on the underside keep it from being pushed off the ways.

Boxes like these serve another purpose.  When you need to access the space they occupy, you only have to pick up one item - the box - rather than futz around with a bunch of individual tools.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #670 on: September 01, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »
Thanks Eric.

Marv...yeah he said 'plank' but I was thinking of something like what you mentioned.

There's little room on top of the headstock and I don't want anything in the way of getting to the emergency stop (which, for whatever reason) is in back.

I intend to use that rolling hospital tray. At its highest setting it's just the right height. I can stick stuff on it and and roll it in or out of the way...or put boxes on top of it as well.
"To work. To work."

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #671 on: September 01, 2017, 10:23:50 PM »
Hi Zee,

If you can't find MG627 in small quantities any straight SAE 30 oil will do the job.

Regards Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #672 on: September 03, 2017, 11:11:12 PM »
Both machines came configured in low speed.
But doesn't drilling with small bits generally need high speed?
I moved the belt on the mill to high speed. Odd thing is, the belt seems a bit looser than it was at low speed.

I wanted to revisit this question. Why wouldn't I reconfigure the machines to run at high speed?

Thanks
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #673 on: September 03, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
Zee, the mill is variable speed right? What are the rpm ranges for both the low and high speed belt positions?

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #674 on: September 04, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
Mill: 100 to 1250 and 200 to 2500.
Lathe: 50 to 1000 and 100 to 2000.

I know there are times a very slow speed is desirable but I don't know if the slowest at high is sufficient.

Thanks.

"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal