Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113354 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #630 on: August 27, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
It's probably too inelegant for your gentleman's shop but it might be useful until you can find and fund a welder to make a Heppelwhite reproduction roller stand for your horizontal saw...

When I bought mine I discovered that the thin folded sheet metal legs were adequate for holding the saw off the floor but totally unsuited to support it for wheeling about.  These saws need to be movable for a lot of reasons so what I did was to use a Sawzall to cut a pallet in half, attached four hardware store casters to the pallet half and set the saw, minus its crappy as-supplied wheels,  on the pallet.

My arrangement was only meant to be a stopgap until I could devise something better but today, some quarter century or so later, it's still out there in Garaj Mahal doing its job very nicely.

A bonus is that the pallet half is wide enough that it can hold a rectangular plastic trash can under the cutoff point to catch cut off pieces and saw swarf.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #631 on: August 27, 2017, 04:05:41 PM »
@Jim. Working on pictures. Hopefully this evening.
@Walt. Re pin spanner. I'll check when I take the chuck off.
@Kim. Thanks. I'll look for more about running in.
@Jo. Tool holders probably above and towards right end of lathe. Nice thought about that space under the lathe. Maybe something that rolls out. I'm trying to avoid having anything too low. Usually not a problem now (a back issue flares up once in a while) but at some point I could really hurt myself. Also nice idea about using a drawer with a piece of wood to hold bits and pieces. Most likely though it will make that drawer useless.  :) I do have one of those hospitable roll-around tables that adjust up and down. The kind where the wheels go under the bed and the table allows the patient to eat. Very handy. I also have a roll-around lamp with magnifier. I intend to do something like Marv did to have tools handy.

Regarding the chuck guard...I do wonder if it's worth it. How does everyone else feel about them? Although easy to just leave up. I was also considering not putting the backsplash on but for now it should be okay. It was worthless and in the way on the mini.

Still wondering about an earlier question regarding the oil in the machine and the oil sight. I was surprised to see red. Are some oils red?

@Marv. No welder for me. I don't know how and would have to rent something. Buying one for a likely one-time use isn't worthwhile. My plan is to do something similar that you did. Most likely a chunk of plywood with some wheels and a way to lock the saw to it. You've also given me an idea on how to minimize the mess of saw swarf.

Thanks all.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #632 on: August 27, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »
Some pictures...
Apologies for the length of post.

1st: Machine wall. Which you've seen. I'll put some plywood above the right side of lathe to hold some tools. Probably pictures above the headstock. Shelves above the tool chest. And a bit of plywood to the left of the mill for the clamping kit and some tools. In the foreground is a HF workbench with vise. Mainly for assembly.

2nd: Southeast corner. Another HF workbench. Mainly for hand tools and parts cabinets. Above that will be some plywood to hold wrenches, drivers, etc.

3rd: Desk. I use a workstation laptop (Dell M4700) with a 2nd monitor. The other is a small TV. A LulzBot Mini 3d printer to the right. Will probably add shelves (I need some book room) and pictures on the walls.

4th: Southwest corner. You can see that hospital tray I was talking about as well as the rolling light. The eagle eye might spot a small shop vacuum next to the mill. That will go away. Tends to clog easily on curly swarf. I need to move the bigger one.

5th: Both lab benches were won at a raffle at work. Near one is general purpose. Measuring, model building, etc. To the left is an drafting table that rolls around. The air compressor will go away.

6th: Electronics bench. You can see I made some probe holders with the 3d printer. Next photo has the project.

7th: FrankenBoard. Essentially the guts of a 3d printer kit but a different electronics board. I've been having fun developing a small robotics workcell system.

8th: North wall curio cabinet. T didn't want it in the living room (now a dining room) so I grabbed it. Nice for holding memories - some of the engines I've built, the cups and saucers my grandparents in Munich used to use, some bookends we got in Hawaii, souvenirs from when we lived in France and Germany, picture of my mom's house in Dortmund where she was born, my dad's toy truck, and various gifts from the kids. I used to be a robotics engineer and developed robot controllers for a company that made table-top robots and accessories for schools and training systems. The one on top of the hutch is an early version.

"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #633 on: August 27, 2017, 05:42:25 PM »
And a few more...

1st: Just outside the shop door is my sink. I need to add towel holders and soap. I'll also be putting a fire extinguisher out there.

2nd: Looking outside of east window.

3rd: Looking outside west window.

I need to put up some bird feeders.

I moved my grinder to the garage. I rarely use it and I'd rather have the mess out there. Same for a belt sander.

I figure the horizontal saw will go behind or to the side of the middle workbench. That leaves figuring out where to put raw material.

That's it so far. Thanks for your interest.
Ideas are always welcome.
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #634 on: August 27, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »
Yeah, I know I'm late. Congratulations Zee, it looks great. The space under the lathe is a great place to put anything on wheels under, i.e. Shop vac, stool, cart, etc. However, swarf will accumulate there so it really does to be something movable. Personally, I'd delete the guard altogether. Maybe they are good for a teaching environment, but, we are at the age that most times we are going to know what will hurt us ( I said most times) . Yes, some oils are red. In regards to the breakin, I would read the manual extensively ( I know men hate to do that) or consult with the seller. My breakin was just like Kim's and I believe we even had to change the oil after the run in. I'm really anxious to see how the chucks change out. There are so many variations to "direct mount" . I use a heavy weight Rubbermade cart to lay my tools on as the job calls for and progresses. Then it's a simple roll back to the tool box to put them up. If I may make a suggestion: with the looks of your shop I would look for old " commercial " wooden cabinets and shelving. In your area they should be plentiful and they are usually really well built. I just think it would fit the gentalmanly decor  :cheers:. Anyhoo, that's my input and awaiting first swarf. Hey, do we get cigars  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #635 on: August 27, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
What a great setup!

For raw material storage, I'm currently using a set of shelves, with lips on front end, up one wall on the back of what was a closet. Works, but tough to see small rod and pick out pieces. I was thinking about the flat file drawer units they use for artwork, plans, etc. But, the ready made ones cost a fortune, may find some heavy duty full extension slides and make my own.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #636 on: August 27, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »
Great pictures and write-up Zee. You're going to love spending time out there.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #637 on: August 27, 2017, 08:22:18 PM »
 :'(

No go. Lathe won't turn on.
I checked both fuses and the socket.
Cover's interlock switch seems physically fine.

Manual says 220V but the plug is for 110V and that's what I'd ordered.

Don't know what I could be missing.

If anyone has suggestions...bring them on.
I'll contact Matt tomorrow.

:'( :'( :'(

Too early to be  :cussing:
"To work. To work."

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #638 on: August 27, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »
My solution for shorter pieces. Built from 2 7' long 16" wide shelves as uprights, a top, bottom and middle piece screwed in with 1/8 Masonite for the back. Basically a typical kitchen cabinet style box. Made shelves out of sam material with standard kitchen drawer slides. Didn't bother with sides or backs on the slides, it all seems to work fine with gravity holding the metal bits in place. I got the inspiration from someone on another forum.

Drill rod I store vertically in some guides, with tubes at bottom. As seen to right of drawer cabinet.

For the longer pieces that you can see cluttering the wall in behind there will be a dolly with 2 grids, one above the other, to hold things more or less upright. Might do something different for the really long stuff, over 4'.

I bought all this material from an estate, it is enabling to have stock on hand, you just look for the most suitable piece for your part.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #639 on: August 27, 2017, 08:26:43 PM »
:'(

No go. Lathe won't turn on.
I checked both fuses and the socket.
Cover's interlock switch seems physically fine.

Manual says 220V but the plug is for 110V and that's what I'd ordered.

Don't know what I could be missing.

If anyone has suggestions...bring them on.
I'll contact Matt tomorrow.

:'( :'( :'(

Too early to be  :cussing:

Is the emergency panic switch pulled out? Did you press the rh button to enable the contactor (not sure if your lathe has that button or not.)
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #640 on: August 27, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »
Hi Gerrit,

Yep. Emergency panic switch is pulled out. (I actually tried both ways as insane as that is.)
I did notice it was a bit loose and had tightened that up.

Oh! And yes...it's plugged in.  ;D

Reminds me of poor dad. He called because he couldn't get his printer to work. It was plugged in and he kept telling me it was connected to the computer.
After about an hour on the phone I asked for the 10th time if he was sure it was plugged into the computer and he said 'yes. here, I'll disconnect it. It's got about 15 pins."

15 pins? Should be USB dad. Did you not notice your monitor turn off? No he said. He was behind the thing.
Printer wasn't connected.

I'd also noticed the fuses were a bit loose. Makes me think something inside may be loose. I don't want go inside just yet though. I'd put a call into Matt before I do that.

P.S. I like your storage idea. I'll give that some thought.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #641 on: August 27, 2017, 08:39:17 PM »
I know it seems obvious but does the 110V outlet have power? (Circuit Breaker)

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #642 on: August 27, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
I know it seems obvious but does the 110V outlet have power? (Circuit Breaker)

Yes. Tested by plugging something in. Tried both receptacles.

Wondering if it's worthwhile to take the interlock off the cover and just plug it in. Just to make sure it's getting inserted correctly.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #643 on: August 27, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »
Is it possible that the motor has a dedicated circuit breaker of its own with a reset button?  I only ask because I have a tool that has that feature.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #644 on: August 27, 2017, 09:02:27 PM »
Is it possible that the motor has a dedicated circuit breaker of its own with a reset button?  I only ask because I have a tool that has that feature.

Not that I can see. One fuse in back (line fuse). One fuse in front (motor fuse). The interlock under the cover. The switches.

Granted, the manual is not accurate (as it calls out 220 for a 110 system) but I doubt the schematic would be very different.

If the motor had its own system (other than the fuse), the rest of the system should still light up.
But there's absolutely nothing.

Thanks.

There's not a lot to these systems. I think my next step is to contact the vendor tomorrow.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal