Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113289 times)

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #435 on: April 07, 2017, 12:03:40 AM »
The contractors "finished" our kitchen in 1993.  All I had to do was put up a few pieces of finish wood (can't remember why I didn't have the contractor do it.)  About 5 years ago I put the stain and urethane on them and stuck them back on the shelf. Next year they go up...I promise honey!

John

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #436 on: April 07, 2017, 02:27:56 AM »
The contractors "finished" our kitchen in 1993.  All I had to do was put up a few pieces of finish wood (can't remember why I didn't have the contractor do it.)  About 5 years ago I put the stain and urethane on them and stuck them back on the shelf. Next year they go up...I promise honey!

:lolb: :lolb: I've just been having a similar discussion with T.
Definitely my fault. I have to stop saying..."never mind, I'll take care of it".
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #437 on: April 07, 2017, 03:05:18 AM »
Hi Zee,
 Sounds like thing are chugging along!

On the "I do that front" just remember that everyone you decided to do is LESS WORKSHOP TIME! Been there cursed that! Oh & the builder & half the tradies!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #438 on: April 07, 2017, 03:16:43 AM »
I've always heard that the last ten percent takes forty percent of the time and that equals half of the time  :shrug:

Eric

Eric..............another way I've heard that on the airplane building sites is: 80% done and 80% left to go!  :lolb:

Zee.............great progress. I'm looking forward to hearing your final final decision on your lathe and mill.  :) It's really going to be fun to see you setting up your new shop.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #439 on: April 07, 2017, 04:08:02 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing your final final decision on your lathe and mill.

Unless something goes awry...it's the PM machines. PM1030v lathe and PM25MV mill.

Hmmm....as I was typing this, T came downstairs all pissed off about the markets. Hmmmmm.

Ah well...can't change the past. Time to see what I can do about the future.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #440 on: April 07, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing your final final decision on your lathe and mill.
Hmmm....as I was typing this, T came downstairs all pissed off about the markets. Hmmmmm.

Ah well...can't change the past. Time to see what I can do about the future.  ;D

Definitely my fault. I have to stop saying..."never mind, I'll take care of it".
We learned in 2009 that the best thing to do is look at stocks once per month, maximum. Following them daily will give you an ulcer and in the end none of it matters until you actually need to cash in.

That has been beat out of me by swmbo, I now let the contractor finish the job. I might touch things up later but it is done when they get paid. Retiring 9 years ago taught us the lesson that time is limited. If you can afford to get something done then let them do it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:22:10 PM by gerritv »
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #441 on: April 07, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »

That has been beat out of me by swmbo, I now let the contractor finish the job. I might touch things up later but it is done when they get paid. Retiring 9 years ago taught us the lesson that time is limited. If you can afford to get something done then let them do it.

Having been a "lifetime do-it-yourselfer" that's a lesson I'm still struggling to learn.  :hammerbash: When a project comes up, the conversation I have with myself usually goes like this: "I could pay someone to do it or I could pay myself to do it and take the money I save and buy some new tools". I've gotten some great tools that way and usually do a better job than the contractor does.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #442 on: April 07, 2017, 10:51:53 PM »
Yes, there comes the time when you choose between your time and your money.

I did our 1st kitchen in this house some 10 years ago. Soup to nuts. It was a great looking kitchen and T tells me it will take some time for her to get over losing it.

I suspect that's a lie given the new kitchen.   ;D

I like it when she lies to me.
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #443 on: April 07, 2017, 11:55:31 PM »
Ten years ago I still had the desire and energy; today I'd as soon pay someone and spend the time in the shop or just watching them work. Work doesn't bother me; I can watch them doing it for hours on end  :lolb:

Eric

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
Well the shop is now full.

But not with a single thing related to machining or a shop.  :cussing:

We had to move all the stuff from upstairs and the living room into the finished areas so the builder can begin base board, trim, paint, floors.

Ran out of room.

I tried. I really tried to keep the shop empty.

It is going to be weeks before I can get into the shop.  :'(
Weeks!

But on the bright side (which I always look for)...the kitchen is in working operation.
Good meals coming up!

"To work. To work."

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
Oh no.  From experience, once things get in there, they rarely go out.

Vince

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
I'm with Vince on this one.  Beware the wife who "just wants to put this here for a few days" or "it will hardly take up any room at all".  I speak from wide, and very bitter, experience.

Sometimes one must resort to well-planned "accidents" that involve smelly shop fluids and "misplacement" of very heavy objects in order to solve the problem.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #447 on: April 15, 2017, 06:14:07 PM »
No to worry. It will be gone.
For one thing, it's all stuff needed back in the other rooms once they are done.
For another, the garage is right around the corner and once that's done things may mysteriously move.

Any issues and all dish-washing stops.  ;D

An empty threat, I know, but it's all I've got.
"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #448 on: April 15, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »
Any issues and all dish-washing stops.  ;D
'Snort...

Yeah, right...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #449 on: April 16, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »

A Christmas gift from my youngest...a FrankenSwitch.

Update...spent the last 3 days emptying the upstairs so they can begin up there. Just new base, trim, painting, and door knobs.
Carpeting upstairs won't happen until the 8th so it won't be until then that I can empty the shop.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal