Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113383 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »
Do you know what spindle thread or other mount is on the PM, it doesn't say much on the page.

That's what I want to know also Gerrit, what's on the spindle nose

? Spindle Mounting System is Direct Mount. Not sure what you all are asking.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html

Depending on what you search for...if you find a PrecisionMathews site...it may be old. The one I saw was last updated 2010.
Also, when I corresponded with Matt...he'd said something about a lathe coming that was the same as one he currently offers but would have cam lock.
I assume features may change.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2017, 02:08:27 AM »
Do you know what spindle thread or other mount is on the PM, it doesn't say much on the page.

That's what I want to know also Gerrit, what's on the spindle nose

? Spindle Mounting System is Direct Mount. Not sure what you all are asking.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html

Depending on what you search for...if you find a PrecisionMathews site...it may be old. The one I saw was last updated 2010.
Also, when I corresponded with Matt...he'd said something about a lathe coming that was the same as one he currently offers but would have cam lock.
I assume features may change.

Zee........I saw your post from earlier about the PM1127 having camloc chuck. It doesn't indicate that on the spec sheet. I'm wondering if the next batch will have it. That would be nice. The PM-1228 LB has camloc. The only drawback of the camloc chuck is that it costs an additional $749.........ouch!

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:46 AM »
Zee, if you are seriously thinking of that particular lathe then get them to provide you with a manual. The mounting style of the chuck impacts the cost of adding things such as collet chucks or even buying other chucks should the need arise.
Direct mount can mean a lot of different things.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2017, 03:56:08 AM »
I am also concerned with the spindle nose. It really impacts all the tooling variations you might want to mount there!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #379 on: March 22, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »
Zee........I saw your post from earlier about the PM1127 having camloc chuck. It doesn't indicate that on the spec sheet. I'm wondering if the next batch will have it. That would be nice. The PM-1228 LB has camloc. The only drawback of the camloc chuck is that it costs an additional $749.........ouch!

That was my understanding. The next batch of PM1127 has a camloc. (But I could be wrong). And yes, $749 = ouch.

Gerrit and Pete...what other mounting possibilities are there? camlock, threaded, direct mount (which I take to mean bolted on)?
I'll try to get confirmation from PM.

As for tooling options...(recalling I'm really a newbie at this)...all I think about is a 3-jaw, 4-jaw, 5C collet chuck, and plate. What else?

Thanks. This is very interesting.
"To work. To work."

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #380 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
Yesterday I emailed Quality Machine Tools about the spindle nose on the PM1022V. He responded this morning saying that the lathe has a three hole flange on it and that chucks, or other attachments, have three studs.

Why the heck the literature doesn't just say it's a flange mount, and maybe even give the BC and stud size, is beyond me.

So there's the answer, folks.  Very easy to find out.....

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #381 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Yesterday I emailed Quality Machine Tools about the spindle nose on the PM1022V. He responded this morning saying that the lathe has a three hole flange on it and that chucks, or other attachments, have three studs.

Why the heck the literature doesn't just say it's a flange mount, and maybe even give the BC and stud size, is beyond me.

So there's the answer, folks.  Very easy to find out.....

Pete

So would that flange then have a boss on it to locate the chuck?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #382 on: March 22, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
I would assume so, Jim. That's the usual way.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #383 on: March 22, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »
Let's talk flanges and nuts :embarassed: Zee

If the Lathe designer has been using their noddle then what you have is a chuck which has three studs in the back on which go three nuts to hold the chuck in place. The holes in the flange will be big enough for the studs with their nuts to go through without having to take off the nuts every time. This is achieved by a simple disc that goes behind the flange which has three curved slots. This allows the studs and their nuts to go through, rotate the disc and tighten the nuts  ;) Each chuck has and keeps its own nuts.

If the designer is a cheap skate/does not really know what he is doing >:( then there is no rotating disc and he expects you to get your fingers in behind the flange in that small gap to undo the nuts, remove them and position them in place back in place before doing them up again :facepalm:

Sadly most Chinese lathe manufacturers do not employ designers with any noddle  :ShakeHead: If you have big fingers you might need a camlock.

Jo
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:46:01 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #384 on: March 22, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
get the manual, if it doesn't contain this information in some detail then there is an indication of future 'fun'.

The Grizzly G0602 has an uncommon spindle thread, but there are 2 sources for backplates. I knew this before buying my used King KC1022ML by reading the manual for it and the equivalent G0602. If I only had the King manual I would be wondering about lots of things, it is not very good while the Grizzly one is excellent.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »
Pictures do tell all! Thanks Jo. Just one question about that setup: Do the nuts need to be tightened/loosened with a wrench or does the ring have enough 'cam' to it?

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »
Pictures do tell all! Thanks Jo. Just one question about that setup: Do the nuts need to be tightened/loosened with a wrench or does the ring have enough 'cam' to it?

Pete

The ring is flat: Once the ring is turned you need to nip up the nuts with a spanner. The ring is just acting as a glorified washer to spread the load ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »
Thanks Jo!  That's about a close to a Camloc as one can get without spending the big money. It looks to be much better than a screw-on for running in reverse.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
That is the same system that is on my Weiler Tool Room lathe. There is a DIN standard for it, I would have to look to see what it is though. It does have a short taper that needs to lock up at the same time it pulls up to flange. I made two back plates when I purchased my Bison 3 and 6 jaw chucks; that was a fun little exercise. Bison didn't offer back plates that would fit my lathe.

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #389 on: March 22, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »
Let's talk flanges and nuts :embarassed: Zee

If the Lathe designer has been using their noddle then what you have is a chuck which has three studs in the back on which go three nuts to hold the chuck in place. The holes in the flange will be big enough for the studs with their nuts to go through without having to take off the nuts every time. This is achieved by a simple disc that goes behind the flange which has three curved slots. This allows the studs and their nuts to go through, rotate the disc and tighten the nuts  ;) Each chuck has and keeps its own nuts.

Cool idea! I'll have to check.

If the designer is a cheap skate/does not really know what he is doing >:( then there is no rotating disc and he expects you to get your fingers in behind the flange in that small gap to undo the nuts, remove them and position them in place back in place before doing them up again :facepalm:

Sadly most Chinese lathe manufacturers do not employ designers with any noddle  :ShakeHead: If you have big fingers you might need a camlock.

You are very kind. I have fat fingers.

get the manual, if it doesn't contain this information in some detail then there is an indication of future 'fun'.

I couldn't find one on-line. Sent a message to Matt asking about the flange.

Regarding the flange...is it possible to modify the existing flange for slots? I really like Jo's idea.
That's been the worst part of working on my mini-mill. Always dropping nuts.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal