Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113283 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »

Just bought a couple of hardwood dollys so I can move the machines in once I get them.

Zee.............I grabbed this from an earlier post of yours. Have you decided for sure on what machines you're going to be getting? 

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2017, 10:44:09 PM »

Zee.............I grabbed this from an earlier post of yours. Have you decided for sure on what machines you're going to be getting? 

I'm never sure until the deed is done.  ;D

Naturally, the final decision won't be made until I write the check. But front runner (and I think winner) is the

PM-25MV Mill

and

PM1030V Lathe

At some point...one just has to make a decision...right or wrong. It's like buying a house or car.
But in this case, I'm not expecting buyer's remorse.  ;D

Sort of reminds me when I got married. It wasn't until later that I realized...YEAH! RIGHT! I DID GOOD!  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #362 on: March 21, 2017, 12:21:38 AM »
I find nothing wrong with that decision. The machine one that is. The wife one must've been good also to keep you around  :mischief:

Eric

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #363 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:05 AM »
Sort of reminds me when I got married. It wasn't until later that I realized...YEAH! RIGHT! I DID GOOD!  :lolb:

:thinking:

I find nothing wrong with that decision. The machine one that is. The wife one must've been good also to keep you around  :mischief:

Eric

Model Engineer tolerant women seem to be much more common than model engineer tolerant men  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #364 on: March 21, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »

:thinking:

Eric

Model Engineer tolerant women seem to be much more common than model engineer tolerant men  :noidea:

Jo

If you can call one common.  ;D

I was in contact with PM. No real answer on using a 5C collet chuck. Can be done but with modification.
Suggestion was to go to the 1127 (has cam lock) but that's another grand.
Unless I come into some good money I'll stick with the 1030.
Once I have more experience and nerve I can think about getting/modifying a collet chuck for the 1030.
"To work. To work."

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #365 on: March 21, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »
Zee, if you really think you need 5C then this is an option: Plain back so you buy a backing plate to mount it on the spindle. You machine the plate to fit the back of the collet chuck, removing runout in the process.

Alternatively go with ER40 chuck, same idea.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #366 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »
Thanks Gerrit!  :ThumbsUp:

It's machining that backing plate that has me worried. But that's due to my inexperience.
Still...no problem to give it a go. If I mess up, I can try again.
Hopefully the usual pattern of 3rd try is charm will hold.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline kvom

« Reply #367 on: March 21, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
have one end of a long bar sticking out the side, off the mill table, while milling or drilling at the end.

And on the lathe, space for a bar to stick back through the headstock.

My $0.02

On Sherline gear that's not very long.   ;D

Some people would argue that stock sticking out of lathe can be dangerous without a support, but I confess to doing so from time to time.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #368 on: March 21, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »

It's machining that backing plate that has me worried. But that's due to my inexperience.

It's pretty simple to screw the backing plate on, machine the shoulder and drill and tap 3 holes.

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #369 on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »
have one end of a long bar sticking out the side, off the mill table, while milling or drilling at the end.

My $0.02

Some people would argue that stock sticking out of lathe can be dangerous without a support, but I confess to doing so from time to time.
True! On a sherline lathe it can only be 3/8" diameter, but long as you like as long as you can support and control the whip. For the mill, I've had 3 or 4 foot parts out the side a number of times, the end supported on an adjustable bar.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »

My $0.02

True! On a sherline lathe it can only be 3/8" diameter, but long as you like as long as you can support and control the whip. For the mill, I've had 3 or 4 foot parts out the side a number of times, the end supported on an adjustable bar.

Or a person could always upgrade to one of these "bad boys": http://glockcnc.com/#!/New-for-Sherline-Lathe-Headstock-with-MT3-bore-&-Jaw-Chuck-Plate/p/45225617/category=8597973 That would give a person a 0.8" through bore.  ;) Also 5C collet chuck capability!

What do you mean "thread creep"!  :lolb: Well only a little bit!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »

My $0.02

Or a person could always upgrade to one of these "bad boys": http://glockcnc.com/#!/New-for-Sherline-Lathe-Headstock-with-MT3-bore-&-Jaw-Chuck-Plate/p/45225617/category=8597973 That would give a person a 0.8" through bore.  ;) Also 5C collet chuck capability!

What do you mean "thread creep"!  :lolb: Well only a little bit!

Jim
Quite a selection of headstocks!

Did you see this item on their headstock category page?
http://glockcnc.com/#!/Imperial-Star-Destroyer-Late-model-good-condition/p/52036615/category=8597973

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »

Quite a selection of headstocks!

Did you see this item on their headstock category page?
http://glockcnc.com/#!/Imperial-Star-Destroyer-Late-model-good-condition/p/52036615/category=8597973

I bet they'd drop the price with a cash offer!  ;)
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2017, 07:13:15 PM »

I did my first one a month or so ago to mount a BSA 4 jaw. There is usually lots of meat on the backplate to do makeovers. I used a very sharp pointy tool and placed the cross slide at an angle so 1 graduation moved in only .0005". Lots of fitting attempts at the end but it ended with needing to tap the chuck onto the backplate. You don't need much of a ridge to hold the chuck.

Do you know what spindle thread or other mount is on the PM, it doesn't say much on the page.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
That's what I want to know also Gerrit, what's on the spindle nose  :thinking: :shrug:
Eric

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal