Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113409 times)

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #345 on: March 19, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
I agree with Crueby.
I have my lathe so stock can go through the head stock and stick out some. I can have it stick out about 6 feet although I doubt I ever would because you would need to build in some kind of support so it doesn't whip around.
I have my mill stuck into a corner and I can have parts stick off the ends of the table, right through a doorway on one end.  It also allows me to have tools mounted on the walls on each side within arms reach.  Saves a lot of steps back and forth and with a couple of bad wheels it's a big help.

As for lighting, I highly recommend it!

John

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #346 on: March 19, 2017, 06:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the reminder about bar stock sticking out of the lathe.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #347 on: March 19, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
If the lathe sits to the right of the mill then stock sticking out the back of the lathe spindle can be supported by a (incrementally repositionable) support mounted on the mill table.

On a more general note...

It's impossible to a priori design a shop layout because you will only learn what layout features are important to you by working in the shop and discovering what features don't work.  On top of that, as your interests change and you age, your requirements for the shop will change and what was once a perfect design must be re-worked to fit the new situation.

Sure, there are a few "always true" requirements like good lighting and an easily cleaned floor but the nuances like storage placement and organization, machine placement, etc. have to be determined evolutionarily.  I hate to use sports references but "build it and the design will come" obtains here.  Just be sure to include plenty of reorganization freedom in the original design.  You've done that - nothing is more flexible than an empty room. 

Consider obtaining some rolling tool cabinets and a heavy duty rolling table.  Being able to partially reorganize the shop layout on a short term basis is a real plus.  Short rolling drawer cabinets that can roll under a bench give you excellent, accessible drawers and can be rolled where needed.  I have one parked sideways under my work bench and it's a blessing.  I can pull the whole cabinet out (like the file drawer on a desk), open a drawer and select a tool and roll the whole thing back out of sight and do all this with one hand.

IMO, the best storage system in shops like ours is lots of shallow drawers that can carry a lot of weight and still roll easily.  It's no accident that mechanic and machinist rolling tool cabinets are designed the way they are.  Wood is pretty (I have a walnut Gerstner) but metal is thinner and stronger which means more available volume.

Just some things to think about while you're fantasizing.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #348 on: March 19, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Good points Marv and exactly what I was getting at. I won't know how to set up until I get in there and even then things will change.

I do have a couple of rolling cabinets with several drawers. The thing I can't stand about them is the top area is pretty worthless. You have to have the lid open to allow the lower drawers to open...so the lid is always open and that area becomes a messy catch all.

My intent is to disable that mechanism that locks the lower draws, keep the lid closed, and put one of my smaller cabinets on top to increase the number of drawers.
That's the intent anyway.

You did give me another thought. I have two of those wood working benches from HF. I'm thinking of putting heavy duty wheels on one for the shop. Adds height buy I'm tall anyway. The other bench will go into the garage.
"To work. To work."

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #349 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
Zee,
I am an example of making due with the space I have. We added an 8 X 20 foot extension on the back of the garage. Seeing that the old shop was 8 X 12 the extra room was a godsend. But I wish I had more. The size and shape dictates where the machines are placed as well as the bench, which I put behind the lathe. If I have long stock it sticks out into the center of the room, in front of the door. Not perfect but into the wall is worse. I inherited a rolling toolbox from my dad and among other things on it I have a cast iron surface plate. With the height gauge on top all I have to do is turn around and type the tool height into the tool offset on the mill. As it is I don't have room for much else machine wise, I do have a saw I want to get set up to cut metal instead of the brown stuff and that will probably go in front of the window. I have two florescent fixtures length wise down the center of the room. One in front of the lathe the other the mill. My boss told me of a led light sale and I bought one 3 foot fixture and stuck it over the end of the other so they are at a T. Wow what a difference. I do have the two halves of the room each on their own switch, the led has a cord so I could turn it off. I'm thinkin that when the light or fixture go bad on the florescent, I will replace them with led. I'm just stating the obvious here but dont put the lathe in front of the window, just in case you throw something. :mischief:
Art

"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #350 on: March 20, 2017, 12:04:21 AM »
Good points Marv and exactly what I was getting at. I won't know how to set up until I get in there and even then things will change.

I do have a couple of rolling cabinets with several drawers. The thing I can't stand about them is the top area is pretty worthless. You have to have the lid open to allow the lower drawers to open...so the lid is always open and that area becomes a messy catch all.

My intent is to disable that mechanism that locks the lower draws, keep the lid closed, and put one of my smaller cabinets on top to increase the number of drawers.

You did give me another thought. I have two of those wood working benches from HF. I'm thinking of putting heavy duty wheels on one for the shop. Adds height buy I'm tall anyway. The other bench will go into the garage.

You need to get this type...

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-Drawer-Glossy-Red-Industrial-Roller-Cabinet-68784.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTI5OTc4MjgiLCJza3UiOiI2ODc4NCIsImlzIjoiMzM5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijg1MDYifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

of rolling cabinet.  Then put tool boxes (Gerstner, Kennedy, surface plate, etc.) on top of that.  Don't put the boxes flat on the top.  Lay some offcuts of 2 x 4 with the 4" side vertical on the roller cabinet top and stand the boxes on that.  This creates small spaces into which you can slide "stuff" that doesn't fit well elsewhere - envelopes of sandpaper, gasket material, your cookbook and diary, naughty pictures, whatever.  The boxes should be near the front of the rolling cabinet so their drawers can't be obstructed by the inevitable trash you'll lay there while searching for something in the drawers.  This will create another narrow space in the back where you can store other, odd-shaped, seldom-used stuff - squares, height gauges, thread detectives.

BTW, don't dismiss the HF rolling cabinets without looking them over first.  I've inspected them and they look pretty damn good for prices close to what I think they should cost as opposed to the silly prices for the name brands.  If Garaj Mahal had the room, I'd buy some myself.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #351 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
Here's the chests I use that came from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-9-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-Black-7440946R/206839475  I have 2 that are 46" and 3 that are 27". I also have what is basically as wooden roll around that I built a number of years ago.

As Marv said.......the Harbor Freight chests are worth a look as well.

It's great that you're able to start thinking about this stuff!  :whoohoo:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2017, 12:17:22 AM »
@Art...thanks. I like the idea of a pull-cord on a light when needed. I also don't want the lathe or mill near the window. Not just because of parts flying but also oil.

@Marv...I have one of these from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-in-8-drawer-black-roller-cabinet-2-pc-combo-63026.html

Also a shorter one that I don't see in their inventory any more.

Got them on sale. I'd prefer the one you showed because of the issue with the top I'd mentioned.
But thanks for the idea of making a little space underneath the tool chest I'll put on top.

I imagine by 'naughty pictures' you mean 'engines' right?

Now...what do we mean by 'engines' eh?
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2017, 12:22:08 AM »
Thanks Jim. I've been happy with HF chests and wood working benches.

Actually, I've been pretty happy with most everything I've gotten at HF. That's where I got my mill.
I knew going in that the mill would need tweaking and mods.

Just have to be careful about what you get. Things that don't get used much are okay. If you want to use something everyday...that's another story.

Just bought a couple of hardwood dollys so I can move the machines in once I get them.
I probably won't need them anymore after that so will re-purpose some of the wheels.
$15 for the dolly. Can you buy 4 heavy duty wheels for that?
"To work. To work."

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #354 on: March 20, 2017, 02:00:13 AM »

Actually, I've been pretty happy with most everything I've gotten at HF. That's where I got my mill.

Just have to be careful about what you get. Things that don't get used much are okay. If you want to use something everyday...that's another story.

Just bought a couple of hardwood dollys so I can move the machines in once I get them.
I probably won't need them anymore after that so will re-purpose some of the wheels.

Zee, you might be surprised at how much you'll use those dollys through the years. I know I have.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2017, 02:20:04 AM »

Zee, you might be surprised at how much you'll use those dollys through the years. I know I have.

Jim
Don't the wheels on your plane work? Gotta land on the dollys?   :Lol:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2017, 02:27:04 AM »

Jim

The one I'm building doesn't have wheels yet. Come to think of it it doesn't even have landing gear yet!  :shrug:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2017, 03:00:53 AM »

Jim

The one I'm building doesn't have wheels yet. Come to think of it it doesn't even have landing gear yet!  :shrug:

Jim

You can't even call it a plane yet. Couple pieces here...couple there. It's like saying I've got flour, eggs, milk...so I must have a cake.  ;D
Finish it.  ;D

I've got 3 of those dollys. I'm thinking I can sacrifice one.
"To work. To work."

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:05 AM »

Jim

Jim

You can't even call it a plane yet. Couple pieces here...couple there. It's like saying I've got flour, eggs, milk...so I must have a cake.  ;D
Finish it.  ;D

I've got 3 of those dollys. I'm thinking I can sacrifice one.

I'd like to refute that................but unfortunately............. you have it exactly right!  :shrug: They aren't an airplane until they leave the ground the first time.  :whoohoo: Same for a boat............ until it's launched.

I've got 3 dollys too...............2 from Harbor Freight and one that cooked us a really nice fried oyster dinner tonight.  :LickLips:  I wonder if I got such a nice dinner because I tore myself away from doing yard work and took Ann up flying for a couple of hours this afternoon?  :naughty: It's ok........I like to do what I can to help out.  ;)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »

You need to get this type...

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-Drawer-Glossy-Red-Industrial-Roller-Cabinet-68784.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTI5OTc4MjgiLCJza3UiOiI2ODc4NCIsImlzIjoiMzM5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijg1MDYifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

of rolling cabinet.  Then put tool boxes (Gerstner, Kennedy, surface plate, etc.) on top of that.  Don't put the boxes flat on the top.  Lay some offcuts of 2 x 4 with the 4" side vertical on the roller cabinet top and stand the boxes on that.  This creates small spaces into which you can slide "stuff" that doesn't fit well elsewhere - envelopes of sandpaper, gasket material, your cookbook and diary, naughty pictures, whatever.  The boxes should be near the front of the rolling cabinet so their drawers can't be obstructed by the inevitable trash you'll lay there while searching for something in the drawers.  This will create another narrow space in the back where you can store other, odd-shaped, seldom-used stuff - squares, height gauges, thread detectives.

BTW, don't dismiss the HF rolling cabinets without looking them over first.  I've inspected them and they look pretty damn good for prices close to what I think they should cost as opposed to the silly prices for the name brands.  If Garaj Mahal had the room, I'd buy some myself.

I have a Craftsman roll around very similar to this.    It's my mobile bench between machines.   I keep my hand tools in it as well.   It kinda works, but organize it well to maximize the space .
I put a plywood top on it that fits in the well.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal