Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113247 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2017, 01:03:18 AM »
Thanks guys.

@Kerrin...I'd thought about putting in a wider door on the north wall to the garage. But yes...zoning requirements made it too expensive to be worthwhile.
But the size mill/lathe I'm looking at easily passes a 36" door.
So roll through 36" garage door to house, make a left through wide entry, and another left into 36" door of workshop.
Should be good.

And...while the shop is a nice sized shop...every inch counts and more door takes away too much.

Frankly, I'm starting to have the same problem you all do. Once the shop is in play...what to do first?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2017, 01:15:20 AM »
You HAVE checked that it will make the corners?!  Seen too many cabinets that would fit the door but not the turn from th the hallway combined with the door... And one fridge stuck solid in the turnaround at the landing.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2017, 01:36:45 AM »
Thanks for the Shop update Zee, its looking really good and starting to get close to being done!

So how did all your cat herding at work go this week?  Did you get them all to agree on a single coding standard?  :lolb:

Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #273 on: March 12, 2017, 03:48:02 AM »
Hi Zee,
 Yep down this end of the world, as long as the council is happy no problem. Oh the doors open out of the shop into the garage space so no problem there....well except for the junk....errr precious items against the triple door, both sides that have to be moved to use them!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #274 on: March 12, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »
Oh the doors open out of the shop into the garage space so no problem there....well except for the junk....errr precious items against the triple door, both sides that have to be moved to use them!

I keep the big double doors between my garage and the workshop camouflaged ;) in the same way in case some low life tries getting in there and stealing my boys  >:(

Speaking of which... Zee what thoughts have you had for security?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #275 on: March 12, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »
You HAVE checked that it will make the corners?!

::) Well I make it through.

@Kim, re: cat herding. Overall it went well. Due to illness I had to leave early Wednesday and didn't make it Thursday.
You all know what happens when you miss a meeting. You get actioned.  :cussing:
The entire lead team was sick so I was in good company.

@Kerrin and Jo: Here the garage doors have to be steel. And if I recall correctly would have had to open into shop. That would have severely hampered space in shop.

@Jo: re Security. I've been thinking just cameras up to now. And an intercom out to front porch so I can answer door without leaving shop.
5 outside porch lights so corners are lit up. Area is fenced (not that that means a whole lot but helps).
I expect to have some fun with electronics too  ;D
I'll be looking into security services but doubt I'll do anything at least for a while.

Thanks all!
"To work. To work."

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #276 on: March 12, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »
I spent all of my working years in cities- first Detroit, then the Boston area. When I retired I moved to the coast of Maine. There is one traffic light within about a 15 mile radius. Almost no street  light- on a good nigh I can see the milky way and stars beyond belief. I have no outside lights- well, a porch light we can turn on at the front door, but its never left on.  Our town has no police department.

I rarely lock the door to my shop which is also a direct entrance to the house. The weekly newspaper has a column by the Police department of the next town and they usually have 2 or 3 arrests, usually for DUI, but sometimes domestic assault.

I like our quiet, rural town security.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #277 on: March 12, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
Although our town is pretty crime free (no stolen cars in about a 12 year stretch), I put a couple of Nest cams in my shop. Easy to set up and they send an alert to my phone if there is an interruption.
I do get an occasional big old daddy long leg spider (grand kids call them Fred and Ed) come by, peek into the camera and set them off.

Shop is coming along nicely.  You will enjoy getting lost in there.

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #278 on: March 12, 2017, 04:52:07 PM »
I spent all of my working years in cities- first Detroit, then the Boston area. When I retired I moved to the coast of Maine. There is one traffic light within about a 15 mile radius. Almost no street  light- on a good nigh I can see the milky way and stars beyond belief. I have no outside lights- well, a porch light we can turn on at the front door, but its never left on.  Our town has no police department.

I rarely lock the door to my shop which is also a direct entrance to the house. The weekly newspaper has a column by the Police department of the next town and they usually have 2 or 3 arrests, usually for DUI, but sometimes domestic assault.

I like our quiet, rural town security.
Wow - very different than here! Unless there is a blackout of the county on a clear night (never that lucky), the only way I've been able to see the milky way was on trips up to Maine!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #279 on: March 12, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
Yeah. Sad times. Although sometimes I think it's always been that way but now we get concerned because of all the media.
Back when you had nothing but 3 TV channels (sometimes 4) things seemed better.

The area I'm in is pretty low crime and the neighborhood is great.

Unfortunately it just takes one idiot.

A few years ago my daughters were home alone and some woman came to the door, pounding, yelling, screaming, and trying to get in.
Scared the crap out of them.
The woman had the wrong house.

And...it's not always a "criminal". Sometimes it's just an idiot kid thinking fun. Who, given the chance, would realize it was stupid.
But today...we have zero tolerance. I'm not a fan of that.

I do miss the stars. We live too close to the town.

To see the Milky Way is an awesome sight.

Anyway...I'm happy enough just to see what's going on around the house. I hope to set something up to watch the night animals.
We have quite a few around here.
"To work. To work."

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2017, 01:58:52 AM »
Zee,
By night animals you mean raccoons right. :mischief:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline plataman

« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2017, 03:04:50 AM »
Hey Zee, Just had a thought.....How about that floor framing, will it hold the lathe and mill etc.?  It would certainly ruin your day if your mill fell into the basement. Are the floor joists up to the task? Texas Terry

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
By night animals you mean raccoons right. :mischief:

Haven't seen any around here. We've got foxes, ground hogs, squirrels, mice, voles, skunks, rabbits, deer, and birds.

@Terry...The floor is concrete and there's no basement under that part of the house. Originally was going to be framed. I had expressed my concern to the builder about the ability for framing to hold the weight and my desire for minimal vibration but he was thinking concrete would be more expensive. In the end he went with concrete. I think because it was easier since he had to pour for the garage and/or the cost was a wash. (It didn't hurt the builder's father knew what I was talking about regarding having heavy machines. Not that they're that heavy.)

"To work. To work."

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
Frankly, I'm starting to have the same problem you all do. Once the shop is in play...what to do first?
I keep a note stuck near each machine with a list of parts/items/tools/additions as a reminder of things to be done when the mood strikes. If I find myself waffling I just pick one and get it done.

One thing you haven't mentioned is storage for stock. I recently bought 700lbs of steel, al and stainless stock at a bargain price. Now when I need/want to make something I can just get on with it, no more 'wonder what MetalSupermarkets will charge for that'. Still have to sort out storage for it though, that is on one of my lists :-)

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »
Hi Gerrit. Yes...I've not mentioned stock storage. My plan, such as it is, is to get the big stuff in place. Mill, lathe, lab benches, desk, drafting table and then see what I have.
Lots of stuff to consider. Paper towel holder, mirror, tools, etc. Luckily, just on the other side of the workshop, in the garage is extra space. Because of how the house was done, I have an extra 4' by 16' of space in the garage So one idea is to use that to store seldom used things. Stock is a candidate. (However I was thinking of putting some small wood working equipment out there. I don't want wood dust in the main shop but I'm interested in making picture frames, small boxes, display bases, etc. Not furniture.)

I like the idea of using some PVC piping as storage as well as bins and some shelves. We'll see. Key is to have things labelled. So far I use one kind of aluminum and brass. But the steels are another matter.

The workshop was painted today...much to my surprise. I love my wife for her suggestion. I'm going to like this. The other 3 walls are some kind of off-white. I forget the name. Reminds me of a very light praline.

It's cloudy right now. Blizzard due in a few hours. But during the day, with no clouds...man that room is lit.

I can hardly contain myself. But must. Can't get too excited. Certainly not more than her excitement. She must win.  :naughty:

"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal