Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113488 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »
Good "ol Rocky Top, Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee: Yeah UT Orange

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2017, 02:16:29 AM »
Nah. The orange has nothing to do with you all.  ;D

T said I should have a bold statement. So what color to use?
I had suggested canyon red...but she says that makes people hungry. I know this to be true and I need to diet.
Blue is too depressing.
Yellow makes no sense as I have southern light coming in.
Green...well...maybe...but not my favorite. Seems like I would need to go outdoors.

When we bought our first home..it was classed as a 1 and half story house. So the upstairs bedroom had interesting features with respect to the ceiling.
It was painted a kind of peach/orange.
I loved that room. Our first house.

So it's about memories.

And making people ask questions.  ;D

We'll see how it turns out.
Eventually it will have to be repainted anyway.
No doubt things will get thrown across the room. Know what I mean?  :cussing: toss :cussing: toss :cussing: toss. oops.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
Good to see some up date on the shop buddy. I know you'll be a happy camper when it's all done. Glad for you man and you will enjoy you space for sure. Make sure you do it the way you want it since it will be you in there anyway. Looking good and waiting for more updates....... I ..........like........ :Love:

Don
 :drinking-41:

Offline plataman

« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2017, 02:40:36 PM »
Zee, I have been off line for awhile so missed the introduction of your new shop addition. What a great space, and how clever of you to sell the idea of a shop by adding to the kitchen, laundry room, ha ha! By being part of your home you also benefit from the availability of heat and a/c. Smart. Lots of good suggestions from the others, I wish I had that kind of input while building my shop in the back yard several years ago. In retrospect one thing I would change is more electrical outlets. All outlets in the shop are four feet off the floor so they never get covered up by a bench but I still use a couple of power strips due to running out of juice near the bench.
Great job, looking forward to pics of the finished product.

Terry in Texas

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »
Thanks Don and Terry. Much appreciated.

Time for an update.
Walls are primed. Cement board is down in kitchen. I think tiling begins later this week....if....if....
We're expecting a north-east'r on Tuesday. Many inches of snow expected.
Got my vinyl picked out for the shop floor.

Here's a view of the shop looking south.

A view looking somewhat east. That wall is where the mill (near window) and lathe will go.
That way I don't have my back to the door.

View looking north where said door is. 36". You see past door where the old kitchen sink will be.

A bit more work on the outside too. This shows 3 of the upper story windows replaced and siding done.
The shutters on the bay window will be gone.

Thanks for looking in.
"To work. To work."

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
That's great progress Zee!

I think you will like the vinyl tile. The shop that I work in has regular old industrial 12" square floor tile. I would like to have something like that in my shop instead of the bare concrete. Usually about once a year we move everything out that isn't tied down and they strip and re-wax it. With a good coat of wax its pretty easy to keep clean, reflects much more light and when you drop a part on it, it doesn't leave a ding like concrete does.
My shop is also the garage and shared with the cars, so the tile wouldn't work out too well for my place.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
Great progress!

Though I think the floor in the shop should be deep shag carpet (orange). You'll never have to worry about a small part rolling out of the shop. Or finding it again, for that matter....

:popcorn:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2017, 08:53:37 PM »
Thanks for the update Zee. What a difference drywall makes! You've got me thinking about vinyl tile in my shop, so I'll be watching.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
Thanks for the update Zee. What a difference drywall makes! You've got me thinking about vinyl tile in my shop, so I'll be watching.

Jim
I take it that there is vinyl tile that is tougher than the normal sheet vinyl flooring? The normal household stuff would not hold up well to chairs/table legs with swarf in between. Commercial grade?

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
We use colours from Benjamin Moore's green range often. E.g. my work room is Guillford Green HC116. I would happily paint my shop walls that as well. Earthy, not dark, easy on the eyes. Aura version eggshell is hardy, 2 coats and very cleanable. We gravitate toward earth colours in general as they are best (IMO) for your eyes and well being.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
We use colours from Benjamin Moore's green range often. E.g. my work room is Guillford Green HC116. I would happily paint my shop walls that as well. Earthy, not dark, easy on the eyes. Aura version eggshell is hardy, 2 coats and very cleanable. We gravitate toward earth colours in general as they are best (IMO) for your eyes and well being.

I looked that color up. I like it.  :ThumbsUp: It'd look great with some natural wood trim.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »
Thanks all.

Here's a pic of the vinyl. Appalachian Pine.

It's not what I really wanted. I wanted something more industrial and very smooth. It would have been ugly.
In this case I deferred to T as I often do. In part because she's better at this than I am. In part because...I need to eat.
This stuff is slightly ridgy but is pretty shallow. It will be glued down.
As for swarf...
The plan (and we all know what happens to plans) is to have the mill and lathe as far south away from the door and 'office' area as I can.
Keep a broom handy. And swap shoes as I go from one area to another.
Not perfect but should help.

"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
Things are really coming together nicely Zee. I am getting excited for you even.

Bill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
Hi Zee,
 Things moving along nicely......but always too slowly!
You are going to have a fun play pen when it's all done!
Don't know about this vinyl stuff on the floor, can just hear the elves jumping for joy at the new skating rink! They will be able to get to the dropped part & vanish again before you can move your head!

I was going to suggest a different door way awhile back but you commented that you were at max width allowed, luckily we don't have that issue here! Made my entry door double doored but not double normal width....hope that makes sense, each door is 20" so you can get thru ok but if needed can open the other giving a bit more space. I also have a a triple width fold back door, well just about a wall ....that can open up. When I get done everything on the workshop side will be on wheels. I helped an old friend get his loco into his workshop a couple of times, skinny door 4 guys & a right angle turn was a pain so had the chance to do something better & did!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »
Zee,
Just got onto this thread as I'm more of a lurker here these days.  What a great man-cave you're going to have.  I'm sure you'll get much enjoyment from it.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal