Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113226 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »
Oh Hell yeah, the deck looks like someplace I need to bring the Traveling Cletus BBQ Crew to( maybe I could get a Television Food Network show) Stan has a Sunsetter awning, he'll give you a "no sh$t review. On the collet chuck forefront; I almost called PM today to get a clarification on "direct mount" . I understand the Dx whatever camlock, I understand the threaded spindle, i.e. 1.5"x8 tpi, but, I've never seen specs just say "direct mount" , what exactly does this mean. Back to the remodel; why should anyone have to wait that long for a standard 6'0" atrium door, cause see, I'm having to wait also on a deck restoration we're doing that requires a 6 O door . Maybe size doesn't really matter to the younger generation. Tell everybody hey and keep the nails and screws outta the driveway

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »
I almost called PM today to get a clarification on "direct mount" . I understand the Dx whatever camlock, I understand the threaded spindle, i.e. 1.5"x8 tpi, but, I've never seen specs just say "direct mount" , what exactly does this mean.

I'm thinking it's like my mini-lathe. Chuck is bolted on. When the chuck is off, you see a round plate with the spindle hole and 4 bolt holes around the perimeter.
Hold the chuck against the plate and bolt from rear through the plate.

It's a real pain. And no fun holding a chunk of metal as one's fat fingers try to get one bolt in...and then drop it.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »
And no fun holding a chunk of metal as one's fat fingers try to get one bolt in...and then drop it.

Those carefully crafted blocks of wood that hold a chuck at exactly the right height for securing aren't just things to protect the ways when some butterfingers drops it.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2017, 12:13:21 AM »
You mean these things??

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2017, 01:44:08 AM »
Well I'm glad I asked. Great ideas. Thanks.

From butterfinger phillips.

"To work. To work."

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2017, 01:56:44 AM »
Grizzly sells a plain back 5C collet chuck.  It's a bit pricey but it is a Bison and it is really really nice.  I bought one and made a back plate for it for a 10" lathe.  I am getting about .0001" run-out at the chuck and less than .0002" 8" out.

John

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2017, 02:06:10 AM »
Grizzly sells a plain back 5C collet chuck.  It's a bit pricey but it is a Bison and it is really really nice.  I bought one and made a back plate for it for a 10" lathe.  I am getting about .0001" run-out at the chuck and less than .0002" 8" out.

I'll look that up. I don't know what you mean by 'plain back'.

.0001" run-out is amazing in my world.
"To work. To work."

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:44 AM »

I'll look that up. I don't know what you mean by 'plain back'.

.0001" run-out is amazing in my world.

Plain back just has some mounting holes and you need a backing plate to mount it to the lathe.  In my case the lathe has a 1-3/4" - 8 thread on the spindle and the mounting plate screws on and the chuck is bolted to the backing plate.

John

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Drywall started today...  :whoohoo:

New master bedroom (was old garage)

Enlarged kitchen. The drain and pipes in the middle are for the island.
I'm hoping to wash a whole lot of dishes in there. Know what I mean?
Dare I say, almost as good as having the shop  :paranoia: But a guy has to eat.

New garage. The 2nd HVAC goes into that closet.

Enlarged family room looking towards new sun porch.

Sun porch looking out towards the deck.

New utility room. Washer/dryer will be to the left. More importantly, freezer and 2nd fridge on the right.
Remember what I said about eating?
T has a huge garden and cans and freezes a lot of her output.
Sshhh. I can't stand egg plant.

And the shop.
What the heck? It's not done. Time for a blanket party.  :cussing:
Sounds like they're installing the vinyl floor in about a week. But crap...they intend to use the room to store everything for the next stages (cabinets, etc.)

:whoohoo:
"To work. To work."

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:19 PM »
Hi Zee,
 Looking good!
Yep know all about the food! We built new a few years back, the kitchen, for some reason, got prioity!

I know it's maybe a bit late, but lining the man play zone with plywood is the way to go, you can screw stuff to it anywhere you wont! My USLESS builder was supposed to do mine like that, he was putting up the last sheet of gib, err drywall, when I arrived!  :censored: should of jumped up & down yelled & screamed, but I'd upset him enuff......according to R!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »
Looking good!! But as an old wallboard guy I have to point out that there should never be a vertical seam going up from the corner of an opening.... it'll always be cracking and you can't stop it. Joints must butt on the same timber...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2017, 01:01:51 AM »
I know it's maybe a bit late, but lining the man play zone with plywood is the way to go, you can screw stuff to it anywhere you wont! My USLESS builder was supposed to do mine like that, he was putting up the last sheet of gib, err drywall, when I arrived!  :censored: should of jumped up & down yelled & screamed, but I'd upset him enuff......according to R!

Thanks Kerrin. I suppose though that it's not too late to put plywood up over the drywall. Once I have the basics in and understand how I'm going to arrange storage...it's something to think about.

Looking good!! But as an old wallboard guy I have to point out that there should never be a vertical seam going up from the corner of an opening.... it'll always be cracking and you can't stop it. Joints must butt on the same timber...

Pete. Argh. Hmmm..wel if that happens...might be a good place for some plywood.  ;D

But I will raise the question to the builder.
"To work. To work."

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2017, 05:01:57 AM »
Zee,
Just wanted to say the addition looks great. Don't Know much about dry wall, they hung it in my shop & I did the mudding. Turned out ok and nothing's cracked yet. It was a PITA though, all that dust even with the mask and sanding over my head.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2017, 01:37:15 PM »
I put plywood up above benches and wherever I thought I might want to mount things to the wall. Another product I have used around machines is 1/8-in panels (like "masonite") that have factory smooth finish applied ("blank paneling," if you can find it near the printed wallboard at your lumberyard or home center) It wipes clean easily, but can be damaged by sharp objects. Better than paint and cheaper than metal. You would put it over drywall or plywood for an easy-to-clean surface.

I ripped plywood sheets into  2-ft. by 8-ft. pieces and attached them to the wall above the benches to serve as "backsplashes." They actually are hung so the bottom is below bench-top level so that benches can be pushed to wall without damaging it. My benches are movable, but heavy enough so they stay in place so that small objects do not fall between the bench-top and the wall.

For painting the shop, I used "Kilz" primer (Disclaimer, not involved with them but use the product) over wallboard and plywood alike and followed with latex paint sold as rugged and easily cleaned (Can't remember what brand now, but was a national, not a bargain brand.)

ShopShoe

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »
Thanks Art. I've done drywall and mud before. It fell into the bucket of "thing's I'll never do again".  ;D

Thanks ShopShoe. Yes. The idea is backsplashes behind the machines. Thanks for the suggestions.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal