Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113180 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
Zee
Air. I installed RapidAir system as a surface mount because my walls were closed. When my brother did his shop, he installed it before the walls were closed. Both work fine. A snap to install. I've got outlets at the mill, lathe, blast cabinet, surface grinder, CNC mill, paint/powder coat and a few other places. Some for coolant systems (Noga mini cool and Microdrop both need air). As essential as electrical outlets. Plus, no air hoses to trip over. The air outlets are mostly 48" from the floor.

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/#
Best,
Stan

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »
I have a combination of high and near-floor outlets. Some things you buy nowadays come with cords so short you can't place them on the floor and locate them where you want without "running out" of cord. Lots of extension cords is not what you want either. Since my shop is also a garage and sometimes I work outside I have multiple weather-proof outlets outside so I can work outside without running cords through doors.

Also, don't forget to put some outdoor lighting in places where you might be loading or unloading (or cleaning up that spilled whatever) when it is dark. Even if you only use it a few times a year, you will not be sorry.

My airlines are not in the wall as I worked in a place where that was done and any leaks or problems with the air system could not be easily repaired without tearing out wallboard. Besides that, I have followed the recommendation to put drains at low spots in the lines and near the outlets and it is just easier with outside lines. Plus, I have my airlines (3/4-inch piping) at tank pressure and have filter-regulators at point-of-use or where hoses connect. Most of this was installed when I restored cars and I did a lot of painting, but I believe that is the best way to do an air system.

ShopShoe

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
@Jon, Thanks. Bottom line it will be up to the electrician and whatever requirements there are. Everything is finished but the garage would be subject to wetness from the cars.

@Stan, Thanks. I'll have to look into that system at some point. I don't have any plans at this time since I don't know where all the equipment will eventually get to. I suspect I won't do fixed piping though. I haven't used air very much but I suspect that will change over time. I just don't know to what.

@ShopShoe. I'm hoping to make use of outdoors behind the shop. I couldn't put a pad down yet because there's a maximum on how much ground can be impermeable. There's a light out there as well as in front of the garage. I'm also putting in a couple of shop lights in the garage and may be able to work there with door open. The garage is ending up about 4' longer than my old one so I have extra space for benches, etc. Wow...sounds like I'm setting up like a pro...but I'm very much still a newbie.  ;D Main thing is getting space. I can decide what to do with it later. Not having space kind of limits the possibilities.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »
An update...

Some of the siding coming off. The two windows will be removed and a large one installed for the converted old garage to master bedroom.
Everything to the left of the top windows is new. Workshop is at far end of garage.

A shot from the added utility room towards a sink to the left of the new workshop. The sink is coming from the old kitchen.
It has a hot water butler...so coffee is no problem. That's right. I drink instant. Deal with it.  ;D

A shot from within the converted garage to master bedroom towards the new bathroom and closet.
We're going to put in a heated floor for the bathroom.
As most of you know, my number one goal in life is to keep her happy. Rewards are priceless.

You'll notice the floor is concrete. Originally it was to be framed but the depth and unevenness of the foundation walls was a problem.
It will be carpeted.

A shot from the family room towards the kitchen and beyond the old dining room.
You can see from the floor how much was expanded.
The dining room will become T's office. It has access to outside deck straight to her garden. Remember what I just said about happiness?
The new dining room will take up part of the old living room. We don't use the living room much.

A shot from the family room towards the new sun porch. You can also tell from the floor we bumped the family out a little.
They originally placed the windows in the sun porch wrong. They had to be lowered so we could see down into the yard when sitting in the sun porch.

Thanks for looking.
I can't understand why you would be interested in this kind of detail.
Shall I limit my posting to progress on the shop?
"To work. To work."

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
Limit?? Not just no, but h*** no!! Some of us are gleaning ideas from work such as this. And a fellow ME doing this work is even more interesting!! That's a big project, Carl. You have more balls than I do!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »
Coming along great!

You didn't say - which space is the shop elves room? Hope you didnt forget them!  :facepalm:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2017, 11:28:01 PM »
Thanks Pete.

You didn't say - which space is the shop elves room? Hope you didnt forget them!  :facepalm:

To forget them would be inviting disaster.

But no...no space. I'm putting in an anti-elf system. It's tough enough dealing with Murphy.

I can't tell you about the anti-elf system. It's proprietary and patents are in progress.
Given the abundance of elves on this forum I stand to make a fortune once the patents are granted.
A fortune!

And the patents will granted. Rest assured. You can bet those patent people deal with those troublesome gremlins too.

"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2017, 11:39:31 PM »
Thanks Pete.

To forget them would be inviting disaster.

But no...no space. I'm putting in an anti-elf system. It's tough enough dealing with Murphy.

I can't tell you about the anti-elf system. It's proprietary and patents are in progress.
Given the abundance of elves on this forum I stand to make a fortune once the patents are granted.
A fortune!

And the patents will granted. Rest assured. You can bet those patent people deal with those troublesome gremlins too.
Oh great. My shop elves saw that before I could distract them, now they are organizing a bus trip and protests in your front yard!  Using all my paint for the little signs, collecting mini tomatoes to throw...
 :facepalm:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2017, 11:44:52 PM »
That's looking great Zee! I'm amazed to see green grass and that you have pulled this off in the middle of winter.
Our snow finally melted and the grass, pretty well smashed flat and brown. Here's hoping that we are done with the with crap for this year.

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »
Oh great. My shop elves saw that before I could distract them, now they are organizing a bus trip and protests in your front yard!  Using all my paint for the little signs, collecting mini tomatoes to throw...

If you love your shop elves...as I think you do (for whatever nefarious reasons)...you might want to put a stop to that. They won't be coming back. I am prepared.  ;D

I'm amazed to see green grass and that you have pulled this off in the middle of winter.

Thanks Dave. Yeah, for the last few years it's been pretty strange. I was worried about winter work but timing and the elements have been fortunate to us. So far.

We could have started in the fall...but that would have destroyed get-to-gethers  with the family for the holidays. And if we waited for summer that would destroy get-to-gethers to enjoy the pool and grilling. Spring would destroy T's gardening...(probably the most important thing to avoid  ;D ). Her canned goods, fresh veggies, and wonderful dinners...well, I am one fortunate man.

So instead we opted for winter. A bit of freezing upstairs because the HVAC is messed up but it's working out.

We came a long way to get here.

And this forum is part of the story now.
"To work. To work."

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2017, 04:35:49 AM »
Thanks for the update, Zee. It's coming right along. Someone's doing a good job keeping the job site cleaned up.

By all means keep posting updates of the whole project.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
A general idea of the shop.

Starting with the mill.
Between it and the lathe will be a tool chest (on wheels). I may move/replace it with other storage.
Entry is at bottom right so if I'm working at the machines I'll see people come in.

Going clockwise...
drafting table
desk
file cabinet
a couple of lab benches I got from work. they have overhead lights and socket strips. one will be for electronic work and the other as general purpose.
I might only be able to place one as I think I'm missing a pole.

The shelves represent general storage area.

And a general workbench in the middle.

Just a general idea. More storage will be put in. I need to figure out a place for the horizontal saw, grinder, blasting cabinet, photo booth.
Some of which may be under a table and pulled out as needed.

The corner near the entry may be a showcase for my unfinished and never started projects.  ;D

They put windows in the shop today. I hope to provide pictures tomorrow.

And wouldn't it be cool to have some rail track somewhere?

Thanks for looking.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:04 PM »
Nice!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »
Good start Zee.

One question I have: Weren't you going to have your desk in front of one of the windows?

OK two questions: Are you going to have some kind of roll around bench to put pieces and tools on while working at the lathe and mill. I'd be lost if I didn't have a nice big workbench right behind me when I'm working at my lathe and mill. Of course you might be neater than I am!  :shrug:

Anyway, I bet you're getting excited being able to start thinking about setting up your shop.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2017, 12:51:10 AM »
Make a simple ladder frame with 4x4's....put 3" casters under it, and bolt the 4x6 bandsaw on top.   Now it rolls under the bench until needed.   Also good for cutting long stock outside.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal