Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113256 times)

Offline jclouden

• Front Royal, VA USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
Zee,

I have followed this forum for the last 18 months but have not posted much because I felt that I have not had much to contribute.  I have however designed and built our retirement home and my retirement shop and went though many of the same issues that have been covered in this thread so I thought that I would chip in with some thoughts.

Electrical:
I was fortunate to be in no hurry so I did all of my own electrical work.  I installed a 230V, 60A subpanel for the shop and garage fed from my main panel.  All outlets in the shop are at 48" above the floor for easy access and are about 48" apart.  The outlets are fed from 3 separate breakers.  I installed 4ea. 220V outlets in the shop for a dust collector, jointer, planer and table saw and 1ea. 220V outlet in the garage for an air compressor.  You may not be planning on using any 220V equipment but having a small subpanel in the shop at least allows for future expansion.

Facilities:
I have a 36" door into the shop and it is big enough for all of the equipment that I have installed.  If you might possibly be considering some big equipment (Bridgeport mill?) in the future you might need more access.  Regarding an air compressor, I installed mine in the garage to cut down on the noise and ran piping into the shop to 3 outlets.  Rather than buy a crane I reinforced a mount in the ceiling beams that I hang a chain hoist from whenever I need to pick up equipment.  I have used it to set 600lb equipment on stands with no problem and I don't have to store a crane.

Equipment:
When I was looking at lathes I asked my retired machinist brother-in-law for his advice.  Among other things, he said not to buy a machine without power crossfeed.  All of my woodworking machines are Grizzly and I was assuming that I would stay with them for machine tools but they have no small lathes with power crossfeed.  Also, I like to pick up my machinery and Grizzly was closing down their east coast store (Muncy, PA).  My research led me to Precision Matthews in Pittsburg and their PM1022/1030.  I ended up with the PM1030V and I have been very satisfied with it.  I later bought their PM727M mill with power X feed and DRO and I really like it also.  While both of them are larger machines then I typically see on the forum, they handle all size work very well.  A bonus from my point of view is working with Matt and his willingness to  arrange for pick up in Pittsburg at my convenience.

I like to weld so I made stands for the lathe and mill with casters and levelers.  I hang the chain hoist from the ceiling mount, pick up the equipment, roll the stand under and lower the machine.  I roll the machine to its final location then lower the levelers to elevate the casters.  This has worked very well and all the equipment has been very stable.  I can always adjust the levelers up and move the equipment if necessary.

I currently use a 33 gal. 120V air compressor and it works OK for me.  I do not have a sand blaster however.

By the way, I noticed that you are from West Chester.  About 7 years ago I spent a great deal of time there designing and installing electronic systems in an estate being refurbished and added onto.  That is a very nice area.  I have since sold my business and retired.  Best of luck getting your home and shop finished.

Jon

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »
Jon, thanks very much for chipping in.

Very timely too. We're planning the electrical now and the idea of having the outlets 48" above floor is an excellent idea. Thanks!

I had thought about using the ceiling for hoist help but it isn't to be. Somehow got communication mixed and the ceiling joists are not designed to take weight.
But that's okay. I can deal with it.

Very glad to hear your thoughts on the PM machines. Of everything I was looking at, leaning towards, I've been leaning the most to them.

I do like this area. A lot. We seem to be in a pocket (south of 30 and east of 202) that seems to have its own environment. You can get quite a bit of snow north of 30 or west of 202 and we don't get it. People complain of the cold, heat, humidity here but I remember living in Illinois and southern Missouri...and this is nothing. Most importantly though, I like the people, diversity, and access to all sorts of things.

BTW People always have more to contribute here than they think.

Thanks again!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2017, 11:07:40 PM »
+1 on the 48" outlets; remember the knees when squatting and dizzy spells while bending over  :stir:. Another vote for the 220v sub panel; hey, this many people can't be steering you wrong. What's for Super Bowl food?

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
+1 on the 48" outlets; remember the knees when squatting and dizzy spells while bending over  :stir:. Another vote for the 220v sub panel; hey, this many people can't be steering you wrong. What's for Super Bowl food?

T's chili. I hate it. Not the food. The denial of having a 3rd or 4th serving.  ;D

Yeah, I know she's trying to keep me around. I should ask her if she's sure about that.

BTW It's not the number of people that counts. It's the quality of people.  ;D

What are you all doing for Super Bowl?
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »
Some covers or guards for those plugs are a good idea for any right near the lathe or mill, I was just using the fly cutter (no, not slicing flies) and noticing how far the swarf was flying, could go right into outlets that high.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2017, 12:18:39 AM »
Some covers or guards for those plugs are a good idea for any right near the lathe or mill, I was just using the fly cutter (no, not slicing flies) and noticing how far the swarf was flying, could go right into outlets that high.

Chris, as I was sitting here reading your post, I looked over at my lathe and mill. Guess what's right in the line of "flying swarf" from my fly cutter.  :facepalm:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline jclouden

• Front Royal, VA USA
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »
I went down to the shop and looked and even with 4 outlets behind the lathe and mill, between mill, lathe, lights and dro all the outlets are filled!

Jon

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »
I went down to the shop and looked and even with 4 outlets behind the lathe and mill, between mill, lathe, lights and dro all the outlets are filled!

Jon

The nearby outlets in my shop (converted ground floor bsck bedroom) are all filled too, even the extra circuit I added that doubled the number. If you do have an open slot in a bad place, there are cheap outlet cover plugs sold for cutting drafts that you can use to cover them, essentially a plastic piece with prongs that slip into the outlet.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:09:32 AM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2017, 01:43:41 AM »
Well. Then I'm glad this came up. If it helps anyone prevent a disaster...that is great!

I will keep that in mind for sockets near flying debris.

(Not a problem until I get to the point of making debris. And I'm not talking parts.)
"To work. To work."

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2017, 02:37:55 AM »
Well. Then I'm glad this came up. If it helps anyone prevent a disaster...that is great!

I will keep that in mind for sockets near flying debris.

(Not a problem until I get to the point of making debris. And I'm not talking parts.)

I'm guessing that you have a lot of debris making going on around there right now! As they say: "I've been there and done that".........not planning on doing it again (remodeling)!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2017, 03:39:15 AM »
I'm guessing that you have a lot of debris making going on around there right now! As they say: "I've been there and done that".........not planning on doing it again (remodeling)!

Yeah. Mud all around the house. Nails and pieces of 2x4s everywhere. Dust on everything. Electrical cables hanging everywhere. And it's cold.

If it weren't for some semblance of a kitchen in the upstairs bedroom I think she would have killed me by now.

But that would negate the insurance.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2017, 04:17:23 AM »
Zee,
I've been lurking, things seem to be moving along. I did an addition on the back on the back of my garage a few years back. Had my niece's significant other do the electrical. All the interruptible outlets became a problem with my garage door. The city inspector said, I can't tell you, that you should run an extra outlet with a normal plug for the opener, after I leave. Something about the age of our opener didn't agree with the circut. I now have 20 X 8 rather than 8 X 12 but it still seems to small. Good luck with the project.
Art
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:45:02 PM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2017, 04:27:49 AM »

Yeah. Mud all around the house. Nails and pieces of 2x4s everywhere. Dust on everything. Electrical cables hanging everywhere. And it's cold.

If it weren't for some semblance of a kitchen in the upstairs bedroom I think she would have killed me by now.

But that would negate the insurance.  ;D

I did a total remodel of the home we had, before the one we're in now. Gutted the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, living room, and two bedrooms. We basically moved into the garage with the kitchen, dining room and living room.  After, unsuccessfully, trying to make pizza in an electric frying pan, I got ahold of a built-in oven and temporally  wired it up, sitting on saw horses in the gutted out kitchen. Then we had an oven and pizza again..............life was good!  :LickLips:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
@Art - interesting issue. GFCI hasn't come up yet. Now it's on my list of questions. We have them only in the kitchen and bathrooms but that's because those rooms had been remodeled less than 12 years ago.

@Jim - I pulled the microwave that also works as a convection oven out of the kitchen and put it upstairs. Stole my youngest daughter's standard microwave and put that up. T got an induction plate. Stole an adjustable table from eldest daughter. And setup 3 bookshelves with dishes, food, etc. Luckily we still have access to the fridge downstairs. I do the dishes in the hall bathroom.

More concrete today and framing should get finished. Hopefully new windows around the 20th.
"To work. To work."

Offline jclouden

• Front Royal, VA USA
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »
Zee,
RE GFCI:  code requires GFCI on any outlet in an unfinished or wet area.  I put outlets at each garage door opener location and they kept tripping the GFCI. This was 11 years ago.  I had to rewire the opener ceiling outlets to a non-GFCI circuit.  I would have the opener outlet(s) put on a dedicated circuit from the panel to allow easy change if needed.
Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal