Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113193 times)

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »
Those are some really major modifications! Seems like almost everything changed to some extent. You probably could have built another entire house for the same amount of effort. Of course zoning restrictions might not allow that. It does seem a shame to have all that unusable space under the roof of the garage. I can understand the joists not being strong enough for living space or heavy storage, but maybe it could be used for a model train layout?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2017, 11:17:18 PM »
I can understand the joists not being strong enough for living space or heavy storage, but maybe it could be used for a model train layout?

It would be cool. But the knees wouldn't like it.

But speaking of a model train layout...hee hee hee.

Let's remember I'm moving out of the basement. Who knows what I'll do with that.  ;D

:( Probably nothing. Darn knees.

But I am wondering about a corner of the shop.

Eggs and bacon tonight. I was hoping for hot dogs. Today called for some soul food.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2017, 11:26:15 PM »
That looks good Zee.

The only thing I would do, if it was my place, which it isn't, would be to put a double door from the garage into the workshop. That would accomplish two things. It would make it easy to move equipment and materials from the garage into the workshop and it would give you the option to open the doors and use the garage as extra workspace, if needed, for some project. The wall space is still useable, if you have things there that are easily moved, when you want to open the doors. I've done that for two different shops now and it really comes in handy.

Good spot for the air compressor. I'd run a dedicated 220V circuit for it if possible. Then I'd also run a dedicated 220V circuit to a box somewhere in the shop. From there I'd just pull power, if needed sometime, and run it in conduit along the outside of the wall. Again that's what I did in my shop. I don't know what your power situation is, but a lot of time a large breaker installed in the main box can supply power to a smaller box that can then supply the needed circuits.

Anyway, thanks for posting the floor plan.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2017, 11:44:48 PM »
The only thing I would do, if it was my place, which it isn't, would be to put a double door from the garage into the workshop.

Originally I wanted a 36" door from the workshop into the garage. Didn't need double door as I can't imagine anything so big needing to get through. But I ran into zoning issues. Not that it couldn't be done really...but I didn't need the extra costs and hassles.

But the garage, utility room, and workshop are all on the same level. And all entries are 36" wide minimum. So moving things into the shop (or out) is not that difficult.

Something I didn't mention with the pics of layout...

There's a deck to the right of the sun porch going across the kitchen to the dining room.
I'll be able to walk straight out to a grill.

Unfortunately this means many steps to pool. But from utility room I can build a ramp to get to the pool when taking steps for ourselves or parents becomes too hard.

I also forgot to mention...the dining room will not be a dining room. It will be T's office and the dining room is moving to the old living room. We hardly use the living room. And by giving T her own office/workshop/studio...well you get my drift...it reduces the issue of my being the only one with a sanctuary.

Did I mention...my philosophy is about removing any/all support for a complaint. 41 years of excellent marriage is testament to my success.

So far.  ;D

And I know I'm fooling myself. If she saw this post...it would start with "Are you kidding? Really?".

Yeah. It sounds like I'm the one managing things. But it ain't so.
"To work. To work."

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2017, 12:28:49 AM »
The only thing I would do, if it was my place, which it isn't, would be to put a double door from the garage into the workshop.

Originally I wanted a 36" door from the workshop into the garage. Didn't need double door as I can't imagine anything so big needing to get through. But I ran into zoning issues. Not that it couldn't be done really...but I didn't need the extra costs and hassles.

But the garage, utility room, and workshop are all on the same level. And all entries are 36" wide minimum. So moving things into the shop (or out) is not that difficult.

Something I didn't mention with the pics of layout...

There's a deck to the right of the sun porch going across the kitchen to the dining room.
I'll be able to walk straight out to a grill.

Unfortunately this means many steps to pool. But from utility room I can build a ramp to get to the pool when taking steps for ourselves or parents becomes too hard.

I also forgot to mention...the dining room will not be a dining room. It will be T's office and the dining room is moving to the old living room. We hardly use the living room. And by giving T her own office/workshop/studio...well you get my drift...it reduces the issue of my being the only one with a sanctuary.

Did I mention...my philosophy is about removing any/all support for a complaint. 41 years of excellent marriage is testament to my success.

So far.  ;D

And I know I'm fooling myself. If she saw this post...it would start with "Are you kidding? Really?".

Yeah. It sounds like I'm the one managing things. But it ain't so.

Grill................deck..............pool...............wife's a good cook..............you may have some of us members living there, before your parents get the chance!  :lolb:

Your last line reminds me of what Woody Allem wrote one time: "I'm the boss in our house..........my wife just the decision maker"!  :ROFL:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:00 AM »
Thanks Zee, that clarifies things a lot!!  That looks like a great floorplan and a lot of good livable space in addition to the new shop. Perfect for the upcoming retirement years.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2017, 01:36:08 AM »
Thanks all.

We've worked hard to get here. Got a little story....

After we were married we moved to Illinois. I was going to go to photography school and we needed to get residency to afford tuition.
T always knew I should be an engineer.
At one point she said, why don't you apply for school aid and see what happens.
So I did.
Then she said, seems like you would enjoy engineering. Why not check it out.
So I did.

Just as well. I'm a lousy photographer.

That year we found $80 I'd tucked away into a glove during the move.
Up till then we had a bed on some metal frame and a couple of bean bags to sit on.
With that 80 bucks, I built a headboard for our bed, shelves, couch (using a cushion from some old RV), chair, coffee table, and ottoman.
Our first furniture.
Don't ask me why an ottoman. No idea.

Didn't do it all on my own. I was fortunate that T had her own career ideas.

So working and saving got us here.

Still have the coffee table. The kids are squabbling over who gets it when we're gone. They understand the meaning behind it.

@Jim. No. None of you will live here. Visits are fine...for a few of you.  :lolb:
Entrance fee may be a deterrent though.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
Looks comfortable, Zee.

Have you thought about where you will place the air compressor?  The fact that you're considering a 220V unit suggests that it will be a big one and they can be very noisy.  Lots of folks exile them to a shed on the outside of the shop.

The other important use for 220 is a welder.  Not required for model engines, of course, but home repairs and shop structures, e.g., stock racks, presses, benders, etc..?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »
And, if not mistaken, anything using 220v is cheaper on the meter than 110v :thinking: :shrug:

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2017, 11:00:18 PM »
Have you thought about where you will place the air compressor?  The fact that you're considering a 220V unit suggests that it will be a big one and they can be very noisy.  Lots of folks exile them to a shed on the outside of the shop.

The other important use for 220 is a welder.  Not required for model engines, of course, but home repairs and shop structures, e.g., stock racks, presses, benders, etc..?

So far the thought is on the other side of the wall between the workshop and garage. i.e. in the garage. Outside wouldn't be bad but I think it would bother my near neighbor. I may enclose with move-able sound deadening walls.

I may have asked before...I don't need some monster air compressor. Something big enough for the blast cabinet should do.
Any suggestions as to size?

I don't see a welder in my future. Gotta have interest and there's nary any. But you never know when some bug bites.

@Cletus...makes sense for the dryer. Other usage would seem to small to make a significant difference. And so far...just the air comressor, if even that.

:ThumbsUp: Roof tiles are up.
 :ThumbsUp: Back steel beam to hold the rear upper floor is in.
 :cussing: Got termites.

No structural damage but needs treating. That'll cost me another couple of weeks delay until retirement so I can pay it off.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2017, 11:22:48 PM »
Termites?!

Thats what you get for living so far south in the hot zone. Well, at least farther south than me...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2017, 01:13:23 AM »
Termites?!
Thats what you get for living so far south in the hot zone. Well, at least farther south than me...

Termites vs shop elves. Tough decision?

I can kill termites with no compunction. How do you humanely get rid of shop elves?
Right. You're not trying. You keep feeding the elves. Because they do all the work.

All you do is make cookies.  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2017, 01:18:40 AM »
Termites?!

I can kill termites with no compunction. How do you humanely get rid of shop elves?
Right. You're not trying. You keep feeding the elves. Because they do all the work.

Yeah.

So?

Your point?

:shrug:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
Termites?!

Yeah.
So?
Your point?
 :shrug:

Well I was unfair and I'm glad you didn't point it out.  ;D
At least you're making cookies. I haven't made a thing in a year.  :'(
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »
You made a mess in the yard  :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal