Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113211 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 03:15:27 AM »
Has anyone else noticed how much more entertaining threads are when Zee is here??? He seems to bring out the 'peak' of us all. I think it's a great thing to be associated with a group as good as this one.

Thanks,
Pete
Its so nice to have our mascot back! 

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
 :facepalm2:

Has anyone else noticed how much more entertaining threads are when Zee is here??? He seems to bring out the 'peak' of us all. I think it's a great thing to be associated with a group as good as this one.
Its so nice to have our mascot back! 

As they say, "If I can't make an engine...bring donuts."
I recall saying in the past...This is not my fault. You all make it happen.

"recall saying in the past"? Is there another time?

So I watched a video last night of a fellow installing a stand and same/similar lathe as the PM.
How necessary is it to bolt the stand down? Good idea no doubt...but necessary?

To get the lathe and mill installed I'm thinking of using a 1 ton HF foldable shop crane.
Any thoughts? The equipment is on the order of 300 to 450 pounds.

Thanks

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »

So I watched a video last night of a fellow installing a stand and same/similar lathe as the PM.
How necessary is it to bolt the stand down? Good idea no doubt...but necessary?

To get the lathe and mill installed I'm thinking of using a 1 ton HF foldable shop crane.
Any thoughts? The equipment is on the order of 300 to 450 pounds.

Thanks

Your first question is wrong.
The stand is not nessecary.
Every lathe improves being fixed solidly to a piece of material that does not change with temperature or humidity and has a lot of internal damping.
Wood or tinplate do not quallify.
Cast a piece of concrete 3-400 kg with prearranged bolt holes.Use the very nessecary folding crane and place concrete slab where convinient.Put lathe on and shim one of the corners to make lathe behave

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:21:33 PM by Niels Abildgaard »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »
Zee, as for capacity, the shop crane should be more than sufficient and the fact that it can fold up is very handy too as its not something you will use daily and unfolded they take up a lot of room. The one thing you may want to look at though it the width between supports of your workbench and the clearance under it.  You don't want to have to extend the arm of the crane out any farther than you have to, and if the legs happen to butt up to the bottom skirt of the workbench (as opposed to having clearance to go underneath it) then you will still have some manhandling to do.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
Zee I just hired a crane for the day from a local tool hire shop, don't have the need for one often so did not want to buy and store it. If you do hire or buy one check the lifting capacity at full extension, a lot quote the max capacity when the jib is in and you may not get enough reach.

My lathe seems to works OK on its metal stand which is similar to what would be supplied with yours. My stand is not bolted to the wooden floor, lathe just bolted to the metal stand without any shimming or additional leveling work.

J

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
@Niels. Thanks. I've not seen such a setup and it seems a bit overkill for me. I understand the improvement it would give but I doubt I'd ever notice the difference in the things I would make. It does raise another question for me. I am waffling between a pre-built stand compatible with the lathe or building a wooden bench. I'm leaning towards the stand as it wouldn't be much more cost, is easy, and may provide better storage than what I could build. Hence the question as to whether it should be bolted to the floor.

@Bill. Thanks. Regarding the supports that's in part why I'm thinking of the pedestal stand where you can get a crane leg under it.

@Jason. Thanks. Just saw your post. That helps.

Thanks all everyone. So good to be able to count on help here.

I must avoid manhandling. Knees aren't that good, back is weak, and it's not the kind of 'handling' I do.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »
While you're shopping, check out these guys. Great customer service.

http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Weiss_Mills.htm
http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Weiss_Lathes.htm

Cletus

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »
I must avoid manhandling. Knees aren't that good, back is weak, and it's not the kind of 'handling' I do.  ;D

I find it is best to avoid manhandling ::)

Jo

P.S. One of these days I might get my hands on one that is worth handling   :naughty:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
Cletus...they look just like the machines from PM.
And while looking at PM, I looked at their mills too. Their PM25V is similar in features to the Grizzly 704/759.
I'd just have to add a 2 axis DRO for X/Y.

Hm....again, just 5 hours away. I might just take a trip if they allow visitors.

PM talks about including a quill DRO. I believe that means it's not on the head. Lock the head then use the knob to micro-adjust?

So exciting.

I find it is best to avoid manhandling ::)
P.S. One of these days I might get my hands on one that is worth handling   :naughty:

Curry, wine, and then that. The temptation is so great, I may put in for a transfer to the UK.  :naughty:
"To work. To work."

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »
Son, get your mind focused, see how them women lead you astray. We're talking machines here and she's got your mind on curry, wine, and man handling, get a grip boy  :lolb: :lolb:. Zee, I suspect that 99.44% of these machines are all the same. It's the customer service, paint scheme, and goodies included in the "buy from me" initial sales pitch that makes the difference. That's another point; don't be bashful about calling a distributor and saying "so and so offers this, what's your best shot" Look and see if Jet has anything that tickles your fancy; I gots connections here in Nashville. Bison burgers with horseradish cheese and hand cut fries tonight. Going to see Pops and Ted's Montana Grill( Ted Turner, largest Bison producer in the country)  is 4 blocks away. The Bison pot roast and veggies are stupid good  :old: 8).

Cletus

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
Here's an example of a homemade pot chuck...

Hobbyists won't have occasion to use one often so making one may be more cost effective than buying one.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »
Son, get your mind focused, see how them women lead you astray. We're talking machines here and she's got your mind on curry, wine, and man handling, get a grip boy 

Let's see...machines or women...women or machines... :thinking:

I can't understand why it's one or the other.

@Neils...You added the picture later? I understand now what you were saying.

@Marv...I don't quite understand. I see a (large diameter) recess and then what looks like another (smaller diameter) recess around the part being held. Is there a reason for that?

"To work. To work."

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2017, 11:31:01 PM »
OMG, T has you whipped worse than I thought. Women or Machines, at our age, are you serious  :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
And while you're at it big boy, we need tonight's dinner menu by jiggy

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »
OMG, T has you whipped worse than I thought.

Never understood that either. Something wrong with that? You do understand the benefits right?

During remodeling it will be lots of leftovers.

Tonight it's either lamb stew or chicken Kiev. I suspect chicken Kiev. And I just heard..."dinner's ready".

So bye.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal