Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113464 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2017, 11:14:25 PM »
Carl, I have been staying out of this fracus but now I have to pitch in:

Go with the 5C collets. They are standard the world over and fit damn near everything of any size.

For the extra $100 you will never be sorry. Take it from a guy who's spent a lot of time in front of a lathe. If you have a 10" lathe you'll need to turn an 11" part. You'll always need a bigger lathe. You can't predict what you will want to do...

The powered cross feed is a standard feature for any lathe I would own. Wouldn't do without it.

You WILL use the slower speed!! If for nothing else, threading. Yeah I know you don't know if you will do any. But believe me, once you have the capability you will use it and then wonder how you ever lived without it.

Same for the longer bed. You WILL use it someday. It's a real enhancement for little money.

Yeah it all adds up but you'll have a machine that won't stop you.

Oh, and make sure the 10" machine has at least 1/2 hp motor.

Now I need to go and bake some mint chocolate cookies for Chris. I'll let him tell you why!

Pete

Oooh! Cookies!  I thought I owed you some more of them for helping fix that lathe chuck! Though it will be good to see how the recipe translated to the other coast...
 :cheers:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »
Carl, I have been staying out of this fracus but now I have to pitch in:

What do you mean 'have to'?  ;D What fracas? Do you mean alternative-fracas?  :lolb:

Thanks Pete. This was helpful. A number of your posts have been.

@Jim...yeah the plan is to contact PM. I've come across a lot of reading that says they're very supportive. I think they can answer many of my questions. (That way I can make sure you guys are right.  ;D )

@Marv...I always look for your Gedanken. The spindle bore will probably always be too small but my mini-lathe is .79" and I haven't had an issue yet. Probably too few projects though. Regarding threading...I've actually done some! Yes. Yes I have.

@Pete...notice what Chris said. He 'owes' you cookies. He didn't say you'll 'get' the cookies. You'll never get them.  ;D

Yeah I'm thinking the only question is how to get a 5C collet chuck onto the lateh. PM may have some answers.
It seems it's harder to find a solution for smaller lathes than larger lathes. But my desire for a 5C collet chuck doesn't justify going even bigger on the lathe.

This isn't/won't be my only hobby. Got to find a balance somewhere.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2017, 11:38:44 PM »

As you near (or pass) your nominal three score and ten, you'll learn that self-gratification is a hell of a lot more important than balance.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2017, 12:14:50 AM »
Coming along nicely Carl!    Can't wait to see some chips on the floor!...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2017, 12:22:47 AM »

As you near (or pass) your nominal three score and ten, you'll learn that self-gratification is a hell of a lot more important than balance.

Marv,

Having just turned 3 score and 10 last summer, I'm in total agreement with you!  :ThumbsUp:

Also, what you said dovetails right in with one of my favorite saying's which is "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!"

And then there's what my dad used to tell me: "If you can't afford to do big things, do small things in a big way". So instead of buying a drag racer, I buy any machine shop (and other) tooling that I want!

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:13 AM »
A good philosophy!!  I whole-heartedly agree :)

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »
Zee, Chris sent me some mint CC cookies when he sent the chuck... yummmmm!! Now I'll send him some with the chuck so he can see if I got the recipe right.... :slap:

JIm, I like what your Dad said...

I'm just doing what ever the budget and body will allow. The heck with all this fill oss oo fee!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2017, 02:03:42 AM »
Zee, Chris sent me some mint CC cookies when he sent the chuck... yummmmm!! Now I'll send him some with the chuck so he can see if I got the recipe right.... :slap:

JIm, I like what your Dad said...

I'm just doing what ever the budget and body will allow. The heck with all this fill oss oo fee!

Pete

Zee, if you missed it while you were off the grid, the recipe is back a ways in my lombard thread. Guaranteed to convert shop gnomes to shop elves!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2017, 02:41:24 AM »

Yes...and...no. How's that for balance?  ;D

Approaching 3 score and 4.

@Jim...what I remember my Dad always telling me..."If you wish in one hand and crap in the other...what do you get?"
So I always made sure to continue doing the one thing.

@Pete...I'm thinking there's more to the story. Chris was supposed to send me cookies and I never got them. So how'd you get them? What part of your soul did you sell?

I'm suffering Deja Vu. This thread seems to be like all my other threads.  :Lol: But I'm not complaining if no one else is.

Up to now I've talked about getting 'yanked out of my hole' by family. Now that I'm going to be on the same floor level...I need a new phrase. Well maybe not. I'm always in a hole. I guess it's still apropos.  :(
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2017, 03:04:06 AM »
Hard to send you cookies without you sending the address!  :facepalm:   I have a bunch in the freezer, ready to go!

And I recall you were going to stop by here on a trip going past... That next trip never apparently happened.   :'(

As for no longer being yanked out of a hole, that's good, as long as they don't call you a hole...   :o

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2017, 03:04:19 AM »

Up to now I've talked about getting 'yanked out of my hole' by family. Now that I'm going to be on the same floor level...I need a new phrase. Well maybe not. I'm always in a hole. I guess it's still apropos.  :(

You're going to be way in the "hole" (monetarily) if we all have our way!  :LittleDevil:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2017, 03:09:07 AM »
Hard to send you cookies without you sending the address!  :facepalm:   I have a bunch in the freezer, ready to go!

I just PM'd you my address Chris. You can send them to me!  :naughty:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2017, 03:10:20 AM »
Zee, please stay out of holes. Physical and, very importantly, mental. I can testify that the last can be traumatic!!   :'(

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2017, 03:11:42 AM »

I just PM'd you my address Chris. You can send them to me!  :naughty:

Jim
Zee, your picture changed, and you learned to fly!!

:stir:

Better jump in before they are all gone!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:28:11 AM by crueby »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2017, 03:13:14 AM »
Has anyone else noticed how much more entertaining threads are when Zee is here??? He seems to bring out the 'peak' of us all. I think it's a great thing to be associated with a group as good as this one.

Thanks,
Pete
Retired, finally!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal