Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113345 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #615 on: August 26, 2017, 01:25:36 AM »
Congratulations Carl. Looks like a fine machine. Now looking forward to seeing the shop all put together and ready to make something. Have you decided on that first project yet?

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2017, 02:39:49 AM »
Congrats Zee, now it is real.
I moved from a Taig lathe to a King 10x22, more or less similar to your machine. FYI my wife and I got it down the outside stairs and onto the workbench so it is not too too heavy :-) Just think before moving.

Enjoy the touchy feely, it doesn't wear off too soon :-)

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #617 on: August 26, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
Looks really nice Zee. Congratulations.  :cheers: Looking forward to seeing it sitting in place.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #618 on: August 26, 2017, 06:44:56 AM »
It's about time Carl - we've been waiting for ages.

It's great getting new toys ( :facepalm: I mean tools)

You should have seen my wife's face when my 460kg (920lb) lathe arrived. Almost as priceless as when we brought the 1000kg (2000lb) Bridgeport home  :rant:

Can't wait to see them all installed and the Monitor engine finished.

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #619 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:37 PM »
Thanks everyone.

1st pic shows the lathe installed in the shop. Not so hard with the engine hoist but very nerve wracking.
I was happy to see that everything seems to fit.
You can see there's a lot of wall space. I figure on putting up some plywood to hold tools. Maybe a shelf or two.

2nd pic (a different version of one before) shows the goodies that came with the lathe.
@Kim...I still don't know what the pin spanner is for. I should ask Matt about that.

I had some surprises...
Even thought the lathe came with a QC, the original standard 4 tool post was included.
One of the QC tool holders is a knurler.
There's a stop so the tailstock doesn't slide off the end.
The tailstock has a locking lever so no need for a wrench.
(That was a nice surprise. I'd tried to install a lever on my mini but failed.)
Came with blue and white touch up paint. (Which is needed as there are a couple of dings.)

The only bummer was no live center but that's not a biggie.

So a couple of questions (for now)...

1) There's an oil sight glass that looks red. Normal? Is Mobilgear 627 red?
2) Other than lithium grease for gears and leadscrews, maintenance calls out 20W oil for everything else including the ways.
a) Any 20W oil? What are your recommendations?
b) Same for the mill and its table?
3) Any suggestions on what to look for or do in getting these machines ready?
4) I have a combo square with a level in it. Is this sufficient to check lathe twist? I suspect not. (I'm not even sure how to go about that...but that's for another time.)

No running of machines until I get comfortable with the controls, get the oil, clean everything, and see what adjustments are needed.

@Bill. I had some ideas for a first project but now I'm not so sure. We'll see.

Thanks again!

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #620 on: August 26, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »
Nice looking lathe zee ... I have a spanner like that with the ER32 collet holder. Does the lathe need running in at certain speeds/time? No instructions with it?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #621 on: August 26, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »
You can see there's a lot of wall space. I figure on putting up some plywood to hold tools. Maybe a shelf or two.

Be sure that storage doesn't hold any tools you might be tempted to use while the lathe is running.  Reaching across an operating lathe is a good way to get wound up in your work - literally.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #622 on: August 26, 2017, 11:14:48 PM »
BZ Zee!!

Regards Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #623 on: August 26, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »
That is one upscale shop space Zee. Looks great though and I know you will enjoy it for years to come.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2017, 12:02:29 AM »
Thanks all.

@Tom. I don't recall running in instructions. But I plan on doing some research. I know of a great video on getting the mill up and calibrated. I suspect I'll find things on the lathe too.

@Marv. Yes. I recall your warnings in an earlier day. Usable tools will be to the far right.

@Bob. Yes. And loads more to do. I need to set up an area to store parts cabinets and hand tools. I also need to get a cart made for the horizontal saw, something made to hold raw material (my biggest problem as I'm not sure where), and maybe an air compressor system.

@Bill. Yep. That's the whole idea. If things go according to plan, I retire next year and we stay here until they come take us away. Having said that, there may be an opportunity that may put off retirement for a bit. But most likely I'll just put in a few more weeks to have a bit more toy money.

oh boy oh boy oh boy!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
Do we get some pictures of the rest of your shop as it is now? Hint hint! It's going to be fun to see your shop progress.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2017, 12:40:23 AM »
Do we get some pictures of the rest of your shop as it is now? Hint hint! It's going to be fun to see your shop progress.

Jim
Yeah, and which cabinet has the chocolate chip cookies for the shop elves?

Offline wdeputy

« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2017, 12:54:33 AM »
Does that spanner happen to fit the lock nuts on the outboard end of the spindle?
Walt

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2017, 02:52:26 AM »
@Tom. I don't recall running in instructions. But I plan on doing some research. I know of a great video on getting the mill up and calibrated. I suspect I'll find things on the lathe too.

My Grizzly lathe came with a set of "Test Run" instructions, to check all functions, like the automatic feed, direction, thread feed, emergency stop, etc.  After you went through that, it had instructions for a "Spindle Break In" which involved running the spindle in each direction for 10 minutes, for each speed in the gear box.   The instructions say its important to do the break-in before you put any real load on the spindle.  You can find every Grizzly lathe manual on line, so you could look at those and see what the say. But I would expect your lathe would have similar instructions.  Unless Matt did that for you before he shipped it?

Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
That looks useful  :naughty:

So Zee where are you going to put your tool holders when you are using the lathe? What's the plans with that vast hole between the legs of the lathe, are you going to add some shelves or drawers?  Have you thought about pulling out one of those drawers to the left of the lathe and putting a piece of wood on it to provide a bit of tool/odds and ends hoarding space while doing a job... Lathe oil: I use 30 grade Hydraulic oil, sounds like yours wants something a little heavier.

Why is the emergency stop button on the back of the lathe  :noidea:. Don't you love chuck guards, they all come with them (and interlocks to make sure we use them ::) ) My only machine that still has its guard on it is Big C but if anything came flying off that I can't see the guard making a lot of difference.

You are going to enjoy learning how to play with your new toy  :popcorn:

We also need to see the casting sets for the engines you are going to make on it  ;D

Jo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:31:46 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal