Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113500 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #315 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
Be a good place for one of those antique industrial lighting fixtures, just saying. :stir:

Eric

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #316 on: March 17, 2017, 10:29:30 PM »
Looking good! Is that white stuff still outside though??  :hellno:

Oh yes. As ice now.

Garage door was installed today.
Cabinets were delivered yesterday but they can't install. It got too cold to grout the tile in the kitchen.

Pics? Go pound sand.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »
Pizza tonight? What's the wine? What's the time?

Eric

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2017, 12:37:58 AM »
Oh wow!  :pinkelephant:
Light in the workshop!
This is perfect. Just what I wanted.
It doesn't get better than this...

Reminds me of the old days.  :lolb: :lolb:

When we finished off the shop office we spent more time looking for the "right" fixtures.  I am still shaking my head over how much they cost!
In the shop it's just a whole bunch of florescent fixtures.
What are your plans for light fixtures?

John

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
@Eric - anchovie and a red.

@John - Two four foot long LED shop lights. End-to-end with a gap, parallel to the orange wall.

I've never used that type before and the builder tells me it will 'light up' the shop.
Perhaps. But the lights will be behind me when working on the machines so l expect to add some spot lighting.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »

@John - Two four foot long LED shop lights. End-to-end with a gap, parallel to the orange wall.

I've never used that type before and the builder tells me it will 'light up' the shop.
Perhaps. But the lights will be behind me when working on the machines so l expect to add some spot lighting.
I used to have the shop lights, found they lit up the room nicely but lacked brightness right on the work, then switched to a combination of track lights and gooseneck lights mounted by the machines, able to aim the light right where wanted better, still reflects around to light up the whole room.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
I have 4' led lights in the ceiling but added task lighting from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20169658/ US price is 9.95, Canadian price $14.95

A bonus is that you get 5" round cast iron weights from the bases to machine into flywheels :-)
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline kvom

« Reply #322 on: March 18, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
No paper towel dispenser for me.  I just have a couple of rolls of blue shop towel lying about in strategic locations.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #323 on: March 18, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »

Zee..........were it mine (which it isn't) I'd have a string right down the middle with 4 four foot LED fixtures, end to end, as a starting point. Then as Chris did...........task lighting. The nice thing about shop lighting............you can always add more in whatever direction you want after the shop is set up. When I finished out my hanger last winter I put in 4 strings of four foot LED fixtures, for a total of 24 fixtures. My shop room in the hanger, which is about the size of your shop room, I have 4 four foot fixtures, plus one at the end over my lathe and mill, plus one portable task light for the mill. One can never have enough light...........especially as one's eyes get older.  :Lol:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Anchovies, I love them. +1 on what Jim said. The older I get the more I wish it was lit up like a Colorado grow room

Eric

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
Originally I had 4 four foot shop lights. But the builder and a few other people waved me off saying it would too bright. Two would be sufficient.

Once they're in, I'll see what I have. I think I'll be okay with that.

I have two lab benches (not sure I can get both in) with built-in shop light.

Task lighting at the mill and lathe will be added. Although I'm thinking of a rolling stand with combined task light and magnifier. We'll see.

;D

Didn't mean to pun.
"To work. To work."

Online 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
We'll see.

;D

Didn't mean to pun.

Rriigghhhttt...... :ShakeHead:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »
Hi Zee
The problem I see with only one row of lights down the middle is your body is going to be casting a shadow on your benches and tools. I have a  2 tube 4ft led fixture directly over my work benches. and this gives plenty of light in these locations. I have 10, 4ft led fixtures in my shop (garage) and there are still places that could use some more light. They were all florescent fixtures that I converted to direct wire (bypass the ballast) last summer, I love the led lights. The two lights over my benches were an afterthought because of the exact reason indicated above.

If it were me, and like Pete said, its not; I would put two rows of two and place them closer to the walls so you are not dealing with shadows. These are split into two circuits so I don't have to light up the whole place unless needed. Probably not an issue for your space.

This is a shop not a den, I really don't think you can have too much light within reason. The vinyl flooring is going to suck up some of that light if it has a wood grain finish.

Ok back to my corner now. :lolb:
Dave

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2017, 09:39:23 PM »
What Dave Otto Said....and let me tell you ...once there's a 5 in front of your age...those shadows really suck!...

Lots of light...no I mean LOTS of light overhead, and task lights too.      Did I say LOTS!? 

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
They were all florescent fixtures that I converted to direct wire (bypass the ballast)

Dave
What led innards did you use?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal