Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113267 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #300 on: March 15, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »
Lots of stuff to consider. Paper towel holder, mirror, tools, etc.

I realize this is way early but, having just gone through the product search myself, let me pass some information along.

On most towel holders, if you give a pull the roll will rotate and spill paper towels out in a stream onto the floor.  Similarly, if you give a sharp tug to tear off one towel, the thing will vomit towels everywhere. 

Through dedicated research aided by a really good hint, I came across this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024AKCTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The roller has a built-in light-duty ratchet.  As soon as your pull force stops, it stops the roller from further rotation.  At that point, a sharp tug will remove what you've unrolled without starting another towel vomit.  It's all stainless steel construction so it will outlast any cheap plastic towel rack.

I bought one and installed it in my shop and I'm pleased which, you can imagine, is no easy thing to do.  The only problem is that now my wife wants one.

We have one of those, but with a weighted base so that it just sits upright on the counter.   It works great!    The only down side is when I get up early for work, and I make coffee and such, and I need a towel, the ratchet wakes my wife up.....having said that, it says more about how much of a light sleeper she is , than how loud the ratchet is....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #301 on: March 15, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »
Lots of stuff to consider. Paper towel holder, mirror, tools, etc.

I realize this is way early but, having just gone through the product search myself, let me pass some information along.

On most towel holders, if you give a pull the roll will rotate and spill paper towels out in a stream onto the floor.  Similarly, if you give a sharp tug to tear off one towel, the thing will vomit towels everywhere. 

Through dedicated research aided by a really good hint, I came across this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024AKCTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The roller has a built-in light-duty ratchet.  As soon as your pull force stops, it stops the roller from further rotation.  At that point, a sharp tug will remove what you've unrolled without starting another towel vomit.  It's all stainless steel construction so it will outlast any cheap plastic towel rack.

I bought one and installed it in my shop and I'm pleased which, you can imagine, is no easy thing to do.  The only problem is that now my wife wants one.

We have one of those, but with a weighted base so that it just sits upright on the counter.   It works great!    The only down side is when I get up early for work, and I make coffee and such, and I need a towel, the ratchet wakes my wife up.....having said that, it says more about how much of a light sleeper she is , than how loud the ratchet is....

Dave

We have one of those!  :ROFL: If your towel doesn't tear off right away, it ends up sounding like when we use to use a clothes pin to mesh a playing card with our bicycle spokes. Referring to another thread going right now.............the younger generation might ask if there is an iPhone app for that sound.  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #302 on: March 15, 2017, 06:49:42 AM »
What about a voice-actuated paper towel dispenser?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/72929-OT-Wild-Idea-That-Needs-Really-Inexpensive-Speech-Recognition

Zee, I think your first machining project should be a fancy-pantsy towel dispenser with an inertial clutch to keep the roll from exceeding a certain RPM so you can yank off a sheet without the drama and frustration of the "wholly-roller" effect..  :ROFL:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:01 PM »
So, are we having a "forum member only" open house?

Eric

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »

Eric
Which bedroom is mine? Only be staying a few months....   :hellno:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
Don't think I could stay that long: my boys would miss me  :disappointed: and Zee doesn't have any castings  :hellno:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #306 on: March 15, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
Don't think I could stay that long: my boys would miss me  :disappointed: and Zee doesn't have any castings  :hellno:

Jo

Come on Jo!   Help a brotha out!   Take some from the back of the pile as a house warming gift! :LittleDevil:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #307 on: March 15, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
Women   :lolb:
Eric

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #308 on: March 15, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »

Jo
But Pennsylvania was FULL of steel mills at one time, must be SOME castings left SOMEWHERE in the area...   :Lol:

« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
No, they have all been sold to upscale modern artists: which will use them in "early industrial manufacturing " themes. However, least somebody is doing something to preserve them  :facepalm:

Eric

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
What about a voice-actuated paper towel dispenser?

It'd probably be activated by "augh!".

Perhaps a sub-set.  ;D
Perhaps not.

Which bedroom is mine? Only be staying a few months....   :hellno:

Next door.

Who said I don't have castings? Just don't get too specific.

I came home to find two young boys in the driveway with an axe.  :thinking:

Turned out the builder hired them to clear the rest of the driveway. It's a block of ice.
I'd only shoveled, could only shovel, a small path to get the cars out.

And I wish I hadn't even done that.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2017, 11:57:30 PM »
Oh wow!  :pinkelephant:
Light in the workshop!
This is perfect. Just what I wanted.
It doesn't get better than this...

Reminds me of the old days.  :lolb: :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #312 on: March 17, 2017, 02:14:20 AM »
Won't be long now!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #313 on: March 17, 2017, 02:31:57 AM »
That looks really great Zee.............but you might want to add one more light.  :lolb:

Getting close to when you're going to have to go and try to find your lathe and mill..............or order your new ones!  :naughty:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #314 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
Looking good! Is that white stuff still outside though??  :hellno:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal