Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113217 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
Looks to be a fun project  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:

Will this veer off in the direction of suitable germanish names rather than food?  ;)  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
Oh gawd, he's back and rude as ever; didn't even provide food and drinks  :lolb:. Looks like construction is moving along. Having grown up around house construction in the 60's-70's I'm amazed at the use of the lam-beams in so many applications today. Well, you asked:

1. Leave the windows high. Great place for the work bench.
2. I'm a bit concerned about the flooring. If you are talking about composiite vinyl tile (CVT), it's pretty when waxed, however, it's a major PITA to keep that way. It scratches easily and may not be very friendly with swarf and especially oily swarf. I can highly recommend just polish grinding the concrete and staining. With today's technology, they can make it look anyway you desire and cleanup is a snap.
3. 220v, Do as Jim suggested. One small 220 sub box and you can pull from it if ever desired.
4. Equipment: the mill looks good, especially if you should ever consider a CNC conversion. The lathe: I think you should squeeze just a few more pennies out of the purchasing dept and go for the G4002. I'm with Niels, I really like and use my power crossfeed. I just think a few years down the road you would be happier with it as it's just a heavier machine.
5. Name: Zee Peanut Gallery, Zee Swarf Cafe, or Zee Stinking Hoppie Haus

So those are my opinions and you know what they say about them  8), everybody has one   :lolb:. Nice to have you back, seriously. Now what's for dinner tonight? Tell everybody I said how they doing.

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »
1. Leave the windows high. Great place for the work bench.
2. I'm a bit concerned about the flooring. If you are talking about composiite vinyl tile (CVT), it's pretty when waxed, however, it's a major PITA to keep that way. It scratches easily and may not be very friendly with swarf and especially oily swarf. I can highly recommend just polish grinding the concrete and staining. With today's technology, they can make it look anyway you desire and cleanup is a snap.
3. 220v, Do as Jim suggested. One small 220 sub box and you can pull from it if ever desired.

4. Equipment: the mill looks good, especially if you should ever consider a CNC conversion. The lathe: I think you should squeeze just a few more pennies out of the purchasing dept and go for the G4002. I'm with Niels, I really like and use my power crossfeed. I just think a few years down the road you would be happier with it as it's just a heavier machine.
5. Name: Zee Peanut Gallery, Zee Swarf Cafe, or Zee Stinking Hoppie Haus

Cletus
I agree I have that and it's a pain Zee. 220v receptacles is a must so plan on one or two.

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »
Oh boy.............since we're spending more of Zee's money  :naughty: to upsize his lathe, here's one that would be worth a look see: http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1228VF-LB.html I'm a real fan of the D1-4 Camlock Spindle Mount and Variable Speed Brushless DC Motor Drive. Probably the attraction for me is that, coming from a Sherline background, it seems like sort of a "Super Sherline".

Here's the link to the 1st of 8 YouTube videos of Frank Hoose doing a review of this lathe: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfUI9uo4L0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfUI9uo4L0</a>

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Thanks all.

I'll look into the 220V. They have to run it for the dryer anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Yes our intent is to go solar panel. With the addition of the garage/workshop, and extending the 1st floor we're significantly adding more roof. The new HVAC for the addition and part of the house will be electric hybrid. When the time comes to replace the current HVAC and hot water heater then they'll go electric.

As for flooring. I'll stay with the vinyl (cheap and not waxed). I understand the concerns but this isn't a high production area. My current basement shop has vinyl tile and has held up pretty good.

That G4002 is an additional $1000. I don't think I can justify it.

Regarding power cross feed...I don't know much (anything) about it. Nor do I see any references to it on the Grizzly site for the two machines. Tell me more.

You're all giving me good ideas for the shop name. Thanks!

Just saw your post Jim. Nice but out of my price range. I see it has power feed but I can't figure out how it works.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 03:51:49 PM »
My shop has 8 220V circuits.  They are not big deal to wire in and you never know when you'll need one.  Mainly just need breaker space in the box. 

Larger air compressor my be the first use, and you might fall in love with a Bridgeport or a European piece of gear.

Leave the windows high for reasons stated earlier.

Offline kvom

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »
Power cross feed on manual lathes work off the lead screw.  A lever engages a worm to gear train that engages the lead screw on the saddle.  Really useful when facing larger diameters at slow feed rates.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
Power cross feed on manual lathes work off the lead screw. 

::) Some Lathes take their power feeds off the leadscrew: Big C has a separate power shaft and Mr Silky has a vari speed motor fitted on his saddle for sliding, both have that all important item for power feeds: clutches  :)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »
Not that most of the mill-owning folks here would need it but power cross feed is very useful if you use a milling attachment on your lathe.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
Even some of the far eastern hobby lathes have a separate feed shaft to save wear on the leadscrew.  ;) and the latest ones also have clutches ;) ;)

Shop is off to a good start Zee

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
Thanks all.

I'll look into the 220V. They have to run it for the dryer anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Yes our intent is to go solar panel. With the addition of the garage/workshop, and extending the 1st floor we're significantly adding more roof. The new HVAC for the addition and part of the house will be electric hybrid. When the time comes to replace the current HVAC and hot water heater then they'll go electric.

As for flooring. I'll stay with the vinyl (cheap and not waxed). I understand the concerns but this isn't a high production area. My current basement shop has vinyl tile and has held up pretty good.

That G4002 is an additional $1000. I don't think I can justify it.

Regarding power cross feed...I don't know much (anything) about it. Nor do I see any references to it on the Grizzly site for the two machines. Tell me more.

You're all giving me good ideas for the shop name. Thanks!

Just saw your post Jim. Nice but out of my price range. I see it has power feed but I can't figure out how it works.

I don't see power cross feed listed in the G0752 specs either. The PM-1022V has power cross feed listed. That might account for the price difference. Also the PM-1022V comes with a wedge type quick change tool post set, while the G0752 has a turret type. In my mind, that would make the PM-1022V a better buy than the G0752.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
Don't underestimate the utility of a four tool turret tool post.  QCs are fine if your job requires a lot of tools and you enjoy making/buying/storing tool holders but for everyday use an indexing four banger, fitted with the right tool set, will get the job done quicker than a QC.

I have both and the turret gets more use than the QC.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
Well, so it seems the finance department has vetoed most of our suggestions. So, any insight into the food situation  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 07:03:05 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:59:22 PM by Niels Abildgaard »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
Thanks all.

The G0752 is still top choice but I have more research to do and see if nifty features (that I would use) will justify going to a higher price.

As for windows...I'll leave one high and one low.  ;D
I understand the issues but I don't think I'll be standing by the window. True, the current plan is to have my desk at the other end but if I change my mind and put the desk at the window end then I would like to enjoy the wildlife. When lowered, the windows would be about 6" above the desk.

I'm not having any luck getting these videos up. One I'm trying to upload to Photobucket and it keeps dying at 90%. The other is a link to a facebook page and it doesn't seem to go there.

I'll keep trying.

I've always used a QC and like it. But that will come later and I can play with the turret tool post.

220V for an air compressor? That must be a monster. But it's a good question. I'm thinking something less than 30 gal.
The only application I can think of that requires quite a bit of air would be the blast cabinet. Sufficient?

As for food...nothing special. Last night was steak and baked potatoes and an escarole/walnut salad.

Tonight is probably left-overs.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal