Author Topic: Zee's Shop Beginnings  (Read 113479 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Zee's Shop Beginnings
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
It's Maschinen, not Machinen.  Darn Pennsylvanian Dutchmen.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »
It's Maschinen, not Machinen.  Darn Pennsylvanian Dutchmen.

Is that it? Is that all you can contribute? C'mon Marv. I'm counting on you for a great shop name.

And darn me...I should have caught the typo (missing 's')
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
Hi Carl,

That's great a nice new shop! Congatulations.

I like "Zee's World" as a name or perhaps "Zeeprogrammer's  Bits."

Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 11:34:43 PM »
There are lots of people, myself included, who would be leery of entering Zee's World.  Damn, that's scarier than visiting "Marv's Mind".  Well, now that I think about it, maybe not that scary.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 11:40:13 PM »
There are lots of people, myself included, who would be leery of entering Zee's World.  Damn, that's scarier than visiting "Marv's Mind".  Well, now that I think about it, maybe not that scary.

Both sound like wild rides!

Welcome back Zee!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »

:thinking: "Zee's Bits". I like that. It ties into my being a software engineer, yet is generic enough to be anything.

Hey Marv...what's a good German words for 'bits'? (I tried the english-german translation but got "bits" back).

On a related note...I'm not sure about spelling...schmarn? Supposedly a mess but my mom used to make what she called 'schmarn'. Old bread collected over time, left on the window sill to dry, then soaked in egg stuff and fried. (Not so unlike french toast but had a special flavor). Loved it. I topped it with applesauce and sugar. Dad used crushed pineapple.

I've tried looking but maybe it's not a real word. Mom used to talk about being wabbie-wabbie too. (Like warm and comfy.) Pronounce the 'w' as a 'v'.

P.S. No, you're right. Marv's Mind is very scary. Particularly for those that might learn something but are intent on being...
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 11:52:00 PM »
Those both sound like Plattdeutsch.  Try to find an online dictionary for that abomination.  You might want to ask one of the Dutchmen in your area, too, especially the Mennonites - their German is atrocious.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »
Proper Dutch would be Machine Werkplaats for machine shop. But then we are not talking about those super powers.

You could try finding some Friesians, their version of German is related to Plattdeutsch, it certainly isn't Dutch as the rest of us know it.

Gerrit
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:59:52 AM by gerritv »
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 01:20:51 AM »
Hey Zee

It's great to see pictures of your new shop and remodel and also to see you posting again.  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »
Those both sound like Plattdeutsch.  Try to find an online dictionary for that abomination.  You might want to ask one of the Dutchmen in your area, too, especially the Mennonites - their German is atrocious.

Mom was born/raised in Bavaria just south of Munich. The language may be low German perhaps (like being from the Ozark hills) but certainly not Mennonite, Dutch, Pennsylvania or such. I remember coming back to the states and had difficulty understanding my teacher. Not much different than an easterner trying to figure out what someone from the mid-west is saying (or vice-versa). Mom moved to Munich when she was 16, she and Opi and Omi were bombed out, rebuilt, met my dad and the rest is history.  ;D Well actually, it was Omi and Mom that got bombed out. I think Opi was a Russian prisoner by then. He came home two years after the war. One of the fortunates.

I may be misspelling 'schmarn' but it's no abomination.  ;D It was one of my favorite meals.

I hope you have a 'vabie-vabie' evening.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 02:49:36 AM »

As for 220V...I can't imagine any need for it. Bigger machines, welding, etc. are not in my plans.
However, the dryer is right on the other side of the wall which means 220V is nearby. I'll ask the electrician about it.
Someone is going to take about circuit load...but I can work around the Saturday laundry shift  ;D

Here's what I'd do Zee (actually it is what I did when I finished out my hanger last winter). I ran a dedicated 220 volt circuit to my shop room to an outlet box. Then, when I moved my woodworking equipment back in, I put an extender box on that 220 volt box and then ran conduit outside the wall to my equipment that needed 220 volt. Shouldn't be expensive to have that done and then it would be there if you ever did need it. Some equipment is set up to be run on either 110 or 220 volts (minor rewiring in the motor). Given the option, it always runs way better, with more power on 220 volt. Food for thought.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 03:49:16 AM »
I may be misspelling 'schmarn' but it's no abomination.  ;D It was one of my favorite meals.

I wasn't suggesting that "schman" was an abomination.  I was referring to Plattdeutsch which, to my ear, sounds like hillbilly pronounced with a mouthful of spätzele.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 03:57:54 AM »
Did I mention we're going solar?

Oooo...tell us more!  Solar powered shop equipment maybe?

Todd

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 07:00:04 AM »

:thinking: "Zee's Bits". I like that. It ties into my being a software engineer, yet is generic enough to be anything.

Hey Marv...what's a good German words for 'bits'? (I tried the english-german translation but got "bits" back).

On a related note...I'm not sure about spelling...schmarn? Supposedly a mess but my mom used to make what she called 'schmarn'. Old bread collected over time, left on the window sill to dry, then soaked in egg stuff and fried. (Not so unlike french toast but had a special flavor). Loved it. I topped it with applesauce and sugar. Dad used crushed pineapple.

I've tried looking but maybe it's not a real word. Mom used to talk about being wabbie-wabbie too. (Like warm and comfy.) Pronounce the 'w' as a 'v'.

P.S. No, you're right. Marv's Mind is very scary. Particularly for those that might learn something but are intent on being...

Hi Carl, nice progress with your livingspace and shop extension.
Conncerning the German translation of bits, the right word should be "Binärzeichen or Binärziffer".
This is math or computer related, but as you already mentioned, the word bit in the computerworld is already global and is taken over in many languages.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:23:58 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »
No lathe without power-crossfeed in my shop.
I have an earlier version of the mill mentioned and am very happy with that.
If it can be had with VFD and belt drive I would buy that.

BitZeesHaus?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:11:57 PM by Niels Abildgaard »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal