Author Topic: Currin's Travelling Sherline Show  (Read 23918 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Re: Currin's Travelling Sherline Show
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2018, 02:32:14 AM »
I've obtained, via the big brown truck, a 10' x 10' sun canopy with side walls. Set this up in the "backyard" with a large tarp under.

It works well. I can leave it set up with the equipment inside, where we are seems safe. But with the tent it's not something that can be set up for a day or two, just when "landed" for a couple of weeks. Far better than not having a shop at all.

But you might note the clear blue sky and palm trees. The temperatures here, in Brenda AZ (I'll wait till you pull up Google Maps.....), are between just right (lows mid 40sF to highs in the low 70sF) to a little cool (lows in the high 30sF to highs in the mid 60sF). Just thought I'd make most of you feel bad. So working in a tent is comfortable for 3 to 6 hours a day, not much mass to temper inside temps.

Life is Good.

Hugh
Hugh

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2018, 06:15:28 AM »
Looks beautiful there Hugh.  Like the shop tent too!
Enjoy the warm, dry weather.  Its chilly and damp up here in the northwest!
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
Are they testing the telescope at those temperatures? Does the chamber also pull a high vacuum? That would be a hard test setup in the size needed. I'd like to see that.

I would like to see it too, but I expect that it's only the "insiders" that have a look before sealing the "chamber" and on camera.
I've only seen some Youtube videos about the telescope where they mention that NASA has refurbished the worlds biggest vacuum / temperature test chamber (their own) just so they could use it on this project.
It's supposedly the only place here on the planet where you can test big objects to those extremes - and as far as I remember it was build to test the Apollo programs vehicles - Lunar Lander and Command Module.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal