Author Topic: Work in progress  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Jon_C2015

Work in progress
« on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
Dear all,

Please see attached just a few images of my new Garage/workshop. All ideas are going to be gratefully received, as I am looking for a lathe and a milling machine to install into said Mancave in order that I can spend many a happy hour tinkering with model engines.

Kind regards

Jon

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
Re: Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »
Very Nice.  Neat, Clean, Well-Lit, Warm.  I looks like you can spend many hours there on your home time.

Was the "Happy Wife ...." Sign your idea or hers? Whatever the source, It's great for one to remind oneself the keep perspective.

I'm looking forward to your posts about your adventures to come and I want to see how you squeeze a lathe and mill into that space.

ShopShoe

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
Many thanks ShopShoe,

it certainly is work in progress, I have got guys insulating the roof space this week, so I can put the woodburner on and spend many a happy hour tinkering away in the warmth.

My wife bought me the sign for Christmas, I think just to serve as a reminder, as you do! :Lol:

Just planning ahead now, I have ordered some racking for the Mancave, in order to ensure everything is kept stored away, then I plan to try and squeeze a lathe and Milling machine in there too.

Watch this space my friend.

Jon

Offline AOG

Re: Work in progre
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
No,no,no (puts nose firmly in the air) that is not a man cave.  :hellno: That is a workshop and should be referred to as such (otherwise the shop elves won't move in). A man cave is for drinking beer and watching your preferred sport. Many may have a man cave but only the best and brightest may graduate to a workshop. Welcome to the big leagues, may your time in there be as productive as it is enjoyable.

Tony

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
Tony,

You are absolutely correct!! I shall be having strong words with myself over correct terminologies for future posts.

The minister of war and finance (wife) started calling it a Man Cave, and thinks that I am using stealth tactics, by slowly moving out of the house and into the Workshop. She might have a fair point!

Its a pleasure to be on here my friend, and many thanks for your valued input

Jon

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
That is a great workshop Jon! Nice job on the workbench.  :ThumbsUp:

I have a similar workbench that I built years ago for woodworking. It makes a great platform for doing just what you have planned for yours.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
Very nice Jon. Nice bikes too :)  Just one thing to think about and I have only heard this so not from personal experience....but I have heard that wood burning stoves can contribute to more rapid corrosion/oxidation/rusting of materials and machine surfaces. Could be just an old wives tale, but have heard that for years. At any rate I am jealous of all that space!!!  Looks wonderful!!

Bill

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
That is a great workshop Jon! Nice job on the workbench.  :ThumbsUp:

I have a similar workbench that I built years ago for woodworking. It makes a great platform for doing just what you have planned for yours.

Jim

Many thanks for your kind words  Jim, I have always wanted to build a workbench of this size, and fortunately I had the space to build one. Made out of lovely American redwood. I have just ordered some racking for one wall of the workshop, so will get it powder coated to match the red and silver theme.

Many thanks again for you valued input and your very kind comments.

Jon

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 07:19:43 AM »
Very nice Jon. Nice bikes too :)  Just one thing to think about and I have only heard this so not from personal experience....but I have heard that wood burning stoves can contribute to more rapid corrosion/oxidation/rusting of materials and machine surfaces. Could be just an old wives tale, but have heard that for years. At any rate I am jealous of all that space!!!  Looks wonderful!!

Bill

Hey there Bill,

Many thanks to you for your very kind words and very important input.

I have installed an air moving system, in oder to give the workshop at least four changes of air an hour in order to limit any build up of dust, and a fresh supply of clean air. However very good point well made, is that I shall look into potential carbon deposits.

Once again, if it wasn't for people like you, I would be lost in this new world of Model engineering.

regards

Jon

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Beautiful shop! (not "man cave" ;)
Love the wood stove, and nice taste in motorcycles!

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
Many thanks for your kind words my friend,

It is certainly work in progress, and I have now realised that if I want to be part of this community I need to call it a workshop rather than a mancave.

The wood stove should keep the place toasty warm whilst I am looking over plans, and building anything and everything, or even just looking at my motorcycles.

Once again, many thanks for your very kind comments, Everyone on this site is very supportive.

Jon

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »
but I have heard that wood burning stoves can contribute to more rapid corrosion/oxidation/rusting of materials and machine surfaces.

I have been using only a wood stove to heat my shop for 6 years and have not found it to be any problem at all, except when the outside temps get to -30C then it is hard work keeping the temperature above 10C inside but that is workable.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »
Hey there Mike,

Many thanks for your  valued input and comments

It is on very rare occurrences that we would get temperatures of -12-15c in the UK. So I hope that the wood burner will prove a valuable asset in the winters. As mentioned I am getting builders to install 65 m/m thick Thermaboard in the roof space now. I hope that will help insulate the equipment from any damp and cold.

Am glad you haven't had any issues.

Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal