Author Topic: Hello to all, and some advice needed please.  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Jon_C2015

Re: Hello to all, and some advice needed please.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Hey there Tony,

No problems on the machine questions, I am just grateful for any advise in this new world of Model Engineering.

I appreciate your time in sending me this information.

Many thanks again.

Jon

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
Welcome to MEM (Model Engine Maker) forum Jon.  :hi: It's a great place to hang out with friendly folks and lots of good advice.

I concur with Tony that the Elmer's #25 engine is a great engine to start with. It was the 2nd engine I built after getting started on this wonderful machining journey about a year ago.

I built an even simpler engine for my first engine, as documented in this thread: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5886.0.html

Good luck on your mill and lathe search. I'll be following along. I'm sure that it's been mentioned that no matter what equipment you obtain, be sure and budget a lot of money for tooling. Some is equipment specific and some more general like drill bits, mills, measuring devices, etc. Whoever said that you need to plan on spending as much on tooling as you do on your equipment must of been a real optimist. It's easy to spend way more than that.  :shrug: That said, by starting with simpler projects, a person doesn't need as much tooling to be successful. It can be acquired as your projects get more complicated.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 06:23:11 AM »
hey there Jim,

Many thanks for your very wise words.

I guess for a newcomer like myself, its so easy to get focused on what equipment that I need rather than the tooling to go with it.

So I shall listen and learn from all the exceptional advise that I have had thus far.

Many thanks again for taking an interest in my quest. The Elmer's #25 engine looks like a fantastic starter for myself.

Many thanks once again.

Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal