Author Topic: Hello to all, and some advice needed please.  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Jon_C2015

Hello to all, and some advice needed please.
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »
Dear all,

I would be most grateful for your valued input, as I am just in the process of setting up my workshop, and would like some advice.

Having not touched a lathe/milling machine since my Engineering apprenticeship with Shell, more years ago than I would care to mention, I am now hell bent on setting up my man cave(as the minister of war and finance calls it) with one of each, for small modelling projects.

I have viewed this site on many an occasion, and have been in awe at the creations made on such a miniature, and not so miniature scale. I do confess to feeling slightly out of my depth, however, undeterred I shall throw myself into the dark art of model Engineering. 

I have been immersed in Engineering all my working life, with the last 20 years being in subsea Engineering, my workshop space shall be a place of refuge, whilst on rotational leave, so I am quite passionate on getting the correct set up for my needs.

Being based in the UK I would like some information as to what lathes and milling machines would be available in this country. I have been researching Myford lathes, and it would appear that these lathes are not only practical, but a robust piece of historical equipment.

Many thanks to you all in advance for any replies with advice that you might care to share.

Kind regards

Jon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hello to all, and some advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:23 AM »
 :hi: Jon

So the next question will be how much space do you have?

A good Myford will not be cheap and is as easy to come by as a good ex School Industrial Machine like the Harrison M300. Chinese machines are made to a price and do not have the feel :disappointed: If you are feeling flush from your retirement then you probably will not go far wrong with a reconditioned machine direct from Myford.

Milling machines... we are back to the space problem....

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 08:15:31 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

As Jo says the key question is space. I have a small European combined lathe and mill . A larger lathe and a separate mill would be nice but they won't fit. If you have the space for semi industrial machines (and 3 phase electricity available) then the options increase dramatically.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
Good morning Jo,

Many thanks for your response.

The Garage is a double style design, of approximately 5.5m by 6m. I have recently had a wood burner installed, for added comfort, and have recently made a wooded bench in which top assemble models, view plans and such like.
As I work offshore, I have a month at home on rotational leave, so I plan in immersing myself in building small engines, and general pottering whilst decompressing from work. I don't mind spending some money on a nice investment, that I shall potentially have for many years, handing them down to my Son or Daughter for them to enjoy.

Once again, many thanks for your response.

Jon

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 08:42:50 AM »
Hello Roger,

Many thanks for your welcome wishes.

I will be looking at 240v machine rather than the big industrious machines. Just in doing some research, I would like something that could take on most challenges of model engine building, that isn't too cumbersome that every time I switch it on, the lights in the house dim. :Lol:

Many thanks again.

Jon

Offline mikemill

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »
Jon

I agree with others a Myford will serve you well, as to a mill I would look at the Seig X3 well proven machine and used by several MEM members, they do a smaller one now X2.5 and a larger version X4. I have a Myford and X3 and made many models with them.
Axminster and ArcEuro are the UK agents.

Mike

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
Hey there Mike,

Many thanks for your reply,

I have just had a look at the Seig X3, and this looks exactly the sort of machine that would suit my needs. I do think that a Myford and an X3 is the way to go.

Many thanks for your most valued help and assistance.

Jon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
And DROs  ;)

Jo

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
Hi there Mike,

With the size of garage/workshop space you have I would also look at the smaller industrial sized lathes and mills and with single to three phase converters now readily available the power requirements are not an obstacle any more.

Jo has a very nice collection of older equipment, mostly running on three phase, as well as her indoors collection of smaller tooling, and I have a Myford Try-Leva, now converted to 3 phase with a VFD, a Hardinge HLV-H which is a full 3 phase system and a Chester 626 mill, also converted to three phase and a VFD, and all fit into my single width but double length garage.

I totally agree with Jo's comments about DRO's and have these fitted to all axis on my equipment.

So don't be afraid of looking at older UK manufactured equipment, though of course take care when purchasing.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »
Hello Mike,

Many thanks for your detailed response, I do like the the aesthetics of the older style UK manufactured equipment, and at 49years old, I can relate to being an old style piece of manufactured equipment.

I would imagine that the older style equipment comes in Imperial only, being an old fart, then this is fine. Just out of interest are there conversion kits for older types of machinery?

Another question that I would like to put out there, is that I have read quite a few of Jo's post regarding machining from castings. How readily available are castings, and where are they available from?

Many thanks to all for you most valuable feed back, this is giving me a huge amount to think about.

Once again, many thanks.

Jon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
If the equipment dates from before 1970 it may be imperilous but much after that date is metric but if you fit a DRO it does not matter. Most Myfords are imperilous  :(

Castings are readily available from may suppliers, it all depends what you want to build:

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Engine_Range.html

http://www.blackgates.co.uk/

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/stationary-engines/index.asp

http://www.southworthengines.com/

http://www.stuartmodels.com/products/set-of-castings

http://www.ajreeves.com/stationary-engines.html

To name a few. But you may want to do something more simple out of bar stock to begin with  ;)

Jo

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
Many thanks Jo,

And yes I did have to google DRO, but think that a great idea!!

As previously mentioned I have read a lot of your threads regarding machining of casting etc, However you are probably very correct.

Lets not run before I can walk hey? :Lol:

I am very grateful to you all for your fantastic advise.

Jon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
Where are you in the country Jon?

Jo

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
I live on the Wirral, not too far from Chester Jo.

Regards

Jon

Offline AOG

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »
I'm sorry but I can't help you with your machine question but if you are new to the hobby may I recommend Elmer's number 25 wobbler as a starting engine. The plans are free , it's cheap on materials and it's a very forgiving engine for a new (or returning) machinist to get started with. The original plans are here:

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/25_26_WobblerBoiler.pdf

If you prefer metric, Julius has drawn them up in This thread.

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/25_26_WobblerBoiler.pdf

A picture of mine is attached.

Tony

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Hey there Tony,

No problems on the machine questions, I am just grateful for any advise in this new world of Model Engineering.

I appreciate your time in sending me this information.

Many thanks again.

Jon

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
Welcome to MEM (Model Engine Maker) forum Jon.  :hi: It's a great place to hang out with friendly folks and lots of good advice.

I concur with Tony that the Elmer's #25 engine is a great engine to start with. It was the 2nd engine I built after getting started on this wonderful machining journey about a year ago.

I built an even simpler engine for my first engine, as documented in this thread: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5886.0.html

Good luck on your mill and lathe search. I'll be following along. I'm sure that it's been mentioned that no matter what equipment you obtain, be sure and budget a lot of money for tooling. Some is equipment specific and some more general like drill bits, mills, measuring devices, etc. Whoever said that you need to plan on spending as much on tooling as you do on your equipment must of been a real optimist. It's easy to spend way more than that.  :shrug: That said, by starting with simpler projects, a person doesn't need as much tooling to be successful. It can be acquired as your projects get more complicated.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jon_C2015

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 06:23:11 AM »
hey there Jim,

Many thanks for your very wise words.

I guess for a newcomer like myself, its so easy to get focused on what equipment that I need rather than the tooling to go with it.

So I shall listen and learn from all the exceptional advise that I have had thus far.

Many thanks again for taking an interest in my quest. The Elmer's #25 engine looks like a fantastic starter for myself.

Many thanks once again.

Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal