Author Topic: Head cold from Hell and maybe a Stirling engine.  (Read 23021 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Head cold from Hell and maybe a Stirling engine.
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2018, 01:42:55 PM »
They are indeed Brian. Everybody should build at least one. Now you need to add a flame licker as well to complete your collection. Yes these stirlings are pretty useless from a power standpoint, but think of them as thermodynamics in motion and you have a whole new appreciation for what Rev Stirling did back in the day :)

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
Yes Bill, probably a flamelicker will be my next engine. I'm going to take a break now for a while before another machining project.

Offline Perry

« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
An elegant water fountain with simple piston pump would be attractive driving model for stirling engine, silently runing and splashing water :)

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »
Great result Brian, well done, they are mesmerising to watch, no exhaust 2 smooth power pulses per revolution and little noise. I want to make another having watched this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2018, 03:56:59 AM »
Bill,
Wasn't Rev. Stirling's purpose for building the Stirling engine was that he saw one to many boiler explosions?
Brian,
How long till you get bored not building something and skip the break? :)
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
Great result Brian

I enjoy watching your engines evolve, being how it started from a head cold how about calling it "Snotty"  :cartwheel:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
sbwhart--Yuckkkk.--I may have one or two "Snotty" grandchildren (after all, it is winter in Canada) but I wouldn't want to put a name like that on my engine.--Especially now that it is running so well.
When I was ultimately successful in a half hour horizontal run with only the methylated spirits for heat I noticed one thing and commented on it in the video. The engine would speed up and then slow down as it ran. It never quit, but the speed changes were interesting. Now after running the engine another 3 or 4 half hour runs, it is running much faster and not intermittently slowing down. I am assuming there were different "high friction" points in the linkages and bearings, that were not readily apparent to me, but were significant to this one flea power engine. The more it runs, the more these "high interference spots" get worn down until they disappear.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »
Yes, that and even the flame varying - if a draught moves the flame around it can instantly affect the performance of the engine. I’ve seen some with shielding around the flame to keep it consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »
During the time I was building this engine and posting my progress, someone suggested that it should run with the heat from a "tea candle". I thought--"Oh sure. Maybe one of those test tube and graphite Stirlings would run on a tea candle, but not this one. It's simply too heavy for that."---Well, this morning  it proved me wrong. I can hardly believe this myself.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvoGoJUIXA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvoGoJUIXA</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »
Looks a bit sootier than the meths, but good to know it will run on the tea candle Brian. Nicely done!!

Bil

Offline Perry

« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2018, 04:28:14 PM »
Well done! That was me Brian, based on my own experiments with moryia based stirling ( no glass nor graphite)  do you have some bee wax candles? They do smell nice . Enjoy your very nicely running engine  :wine1:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal