Author Topic: Simplex  (Read 14260 times)

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
Re: Simplex
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
Why stay away from steam and boilers? The learning curve is initially very steep but satisfying. Give it a go....
Already got another in progress and three others in the pipeline.

Julian

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »
Hi Guys,
I have posted nothing on this topic since May last year. I tend to take very few photos and just get on with building. I am close to completing this loco. Tanks, smokebox and boiler cladding have all been made and sprayed and are ready for fitting. I will try to take some pics today and post them.Before they all get fitted I have been setting the valves to work the best they can on air ready for moving onto steam. I thought this video might be of interest to you. Yesterday I got fed up of repeatedly removing the valve chest covers to check settings so I made some out of clear acrylic sheet so I can see the valve movements and the effects of any adjustments.

Cheers Julian

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
Very smooth running  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »
A few pics for you.

Front boiler cladding

Firebox cladding

Left tank with cutaway for reverser rod

Right tank

Frame

Lagged boiler ready for fittings to be attached

Cheers Julian

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 11:33:56 AM »
Thanks Admiral

It is reasonably smooth but a bit uneven. The eccentric rods are the wrong length so the valves on the left cylinder is opening differently from the right. I have made some adjustable eccentric rods to finalise their lengths and adjustments. The rods are 100mm centres but need to be about 97mm on the right and 99mm on the left. The adjustables will stay on until the boiler is steamed and run to allow any further adjustment then permenant rods will be made to the final sizes.

Thanks for your kind comment

Cheers Julian

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
Hi

Saw it running last night. Good progress and will be a nice loco when its finished  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Rich

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »
Looking and running good Julian! Well done!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
It is reasonably smooth but a bit uneven.

I noticed, but as it often is better to encourage people by being nice, I didn't include that in my comment - and now you tell me why, so I feel pretty sure it will be improved upon  :ThumbsUp:

Best wishes

Per

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
Thanks Admiral,

I appreciate your encouragement but also like constructive and helpful criticism. I have decided to take the opportunity to remove the valve chests and to clean up the port faces and the slide valve face while it is partially stripped. The cylinder to chest gasket was leaking slightly so that will be replaced. The studs are rubbish. They are the originals made by the previous owner/builder which I altered to be a better fit. BA thread into the cylinder with M3 thread at the top. Going to re-drill and re-tap completely to M4 for a better thread. I use metric all the time. I do not possess any Ba taps. I will make 4mm studs as I don't want to use m4 studding through the chests. My plan is to use stainless rod. I have an issue with use.com as I cannot upload any photos from my iPhone at the moment. When I can again I will post a pic of the cleaned port faces.

Rich has seen this loco through all its faults, changes, rebuilds and progress with some valuable input and whiskey! Every little bit helps!!!!!

Thanks for your comments and input.

Cheers

Julian

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »
use.com don't seem helpful so I uploaded to photobucket.
Hopefully this is viewable.

Cheers

Julian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal