Author Topic: Simplex  (Read 14260 times)

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
Re: Simplex
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »
Hi Guys,
Having ripped the front plate out of the boiler I felt I ought to solder the new one in.

Looks alot better and fits the frames now.

Those of you with a perseptive eye will see it does not quite sit level in the frames. It is sitting on the rear hornblocks even though I machined oer 10mm off the top of them. Need to check I have not left the botton of the firebox too low. To check this I have assembled the ashpan to use as a template. This was bought as a kit from Model engineers laser services. They are a bit fiddly to assemble but once together it is silver soldered.

Today I also soldered all the firebox plates together.

Everything is now in the pickle ready for checking tomorrow. If necessary I will reshape the inner and outer firebox bottom shapes to fit in the frames and the ashpan. Once done I hope to make a start fitting the boiler together!!

Julian

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »
Just been round to view the progress and have a quick  :DrinkPint:

Looking good :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 11:13:30 PM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry I have been a bit remiss with my updates. Got held up on some construction for my daughter but dine now. Yesterday I set about arranging everything to join the two halves of the boiler together. Everything clean and ready.

Put the inner assembly into the outer boiler tube and firebox. Used some 8mm bolts to help align the tubes to the front tubeplate.

The front tubeplate has been fixed at 3/4" down the boiler with three rivets through the tube and plate. Because they cant be riveted over I cut them to 1/4" long and squashed the shank slightly in the vice. They were then hammered into the holes and held well so nothing could move. To aid alignment the backhead has been bolted on with four bolts which will be replaced with rivets when it is time for it to be fixed. You can see one of the rivets on the tube

Everything has been assembled with flux on everything. The front foundation ring is on and has two rivets through it to hold it in place while soldering takes place.

Cheers

Julian

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 11:27:40 PM »
Hi Guys,
This morning was solder time. The boiler was stood up on its end with the hearth built around it.

I put a ring of silver solder around each tube to give them a head start. Three gas jets to get the heat up. Eventually I had two jets on the outside of the tube close together. I used the third to work around the tube plate to solder round the edge and the tubes. Just kept turning it through 360 degrees. Laid it down on its side to make sure there was plenty of solder on the rivets

Next it was laid down on its top so the front foundation ring was accessible for soldering. It took some heating but eventually got it done.

Happy with both solder jobs today. It certainly took some gas and some heat. I sweated like a pig and I think the amount of gas I used would cook Sunday dinner for all my family and friends. All in the pickle now for a good clean before these joints are checked and I move on to the stays.

Cheers

Julian

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
Your boiler is looking great, Julian!
A lot of work goes into one of these! I'm getting close to starting on my first boiler, so taking careful notes of how you are doing things here.
Thanks for the great pictures and explanations.
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 11:35:50 PM »
Very nicely done!

How many shop elves DOES it take to hold the other torch?   :Lol:

:popcorn:

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »
No shop elves just me. I have a turbo torch with the swiveling pipe that is free standing. One of the others like a plain propane torch wedged under one of the hearth blocks. The third is in my hand for free controlled movement wherever it is needed. Leaves a hand free to hold the solder stick.
Thanks for compliments guys. I certainly think the first big boiler is a very steep learning curve when you finally get to do it yourself. Now I am into this one I would have less worry about doing another. Already got my next two planned. You also learn little changes you need to do to make it easier for yourself like buying some better heatproof gloves to easier move positions.

Thanks

Julian

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 07:22:50 PM »
Nice job mate  :praise2: :ThumbsUp:

I hope mine goe's as well

Cheers

Rich

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
That is some very serious solder work, beautifully done.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 11:49:30 PM »
Hi Guys,

Here is a view many will not have seen. I bought an endoscope for a tenner online from china that sends real time views via wi-fi to my phone. I poked it inside my boiler to see the inside of the smokebox tube plate today. Pressed the button and got several photos. Here's a couple for you. Ahead you can see the tube plate, bottom left are a couple of the tubes, on the right the main boiler tube and on that one of the water feed bushes. Happy with the results from inside!!

I heard from our boiler inspector today and he has approved the use of copper rivets for the stays. This saves me making 51 individually from phosphor bronze rod. Rich has ordered some for his Conway and some for me. Today I finished off the two side pieces of foundation ring which are fixed temporarily in place awaiting the arrival of the stays. Until they arrive no more progress will be made on the boiler so tooling up and learning thread cutting in the lathe.

Julian.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
Hi

Stunning picturers  :ThumbsUp:

Be Round later for a look and maybe a couple of  :DrinkPint:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
That is super cool.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
Hi Guys,
Not posted for a while due to elderly parents needing repair and maintenance! I have been working away to finish the boiler but took very few pics. I get so involved i forget to take them. As this was my first large boiler it has been a very steep learning curve with many minor leaks that constantly appeared as i was trying to seal it up. I inserted and removed the plugs so many times thatt i wore out the threads on the boiler bushes. Once i could not get a seal on them i decided to make the drastic move to remove and replace all the bushes. I machines new ones but this time made them blind. I left 3mm of metal intact so there was no need for plugs. They have all had some machining including starting the threads but they will need the final drilling once tested. This approach completely changed the boiler testing and sealing and it moved on very quickly after that. I will post pics at some point for you. I have decided that all future boilers i build will have blind bushes from the start. The only ones not blind are the safety valve bushes to allow filling, emptying and testing.
Had my hydraulic shell test last week which it passed with no problems atall :cheers: :pinkelephant: :whoohoo:

Regards

Julian

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »
Hi mate

We'll give each other a slap on the back at the weekend and maybe a wee dram   :wine1: :cheers: :DrinkPint:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »
Good solutions to some complicated problems  :praise2:  :praise2: I have always stayed away from steam and boilers  ::)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal