Author Topic: Cabin Fever 2017 - Pics  (Read 3501 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Cabin Fever 2017 - Pics
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
Repost for your viewing pleasure

90LXNotch,Cheepo45,ToolsNThings,Fred, Hugh,dReeves,Sshire,Yogi
Best,
Stan

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Cabin Fever 2017 - Pics
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
I've really enjoyed looking at all of the Cabin Fever pictures. Understandably the focus is on the small engines that we build, but I'm curious as to what all else goes on at a show like this? I know there's venders and an auction, but not sure what else.

I've never been to a show like this. I think there used to be one out here in the west.........but not for a while now.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »
For those that like to see the engines working then Gil Garceau has posted 4 videos of the show (jo you need not look :LittleDevil:)

This is the first and the others will follow on if you watch it direct on you tube

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZznmCnei88[/youtube1]

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:51:23 PM »
Stan and Jason, many thanks for reposting these!!  Would hate to lose a whole year's worth of CF pics and vids :)

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
I've never been to a show like this. I think there used to be one out here in the west.........but not for a while now.

The GEARS show used to be held in Portland.  I did a very cursory Google and can't find anything about an upcoming show.

Since you're in Oregon, maybe cast around and see if they still hold the show.  If you learn anything, please publicize it here so we can all know.

Years ago, Schoenly and son, the organizers of Cabin Fever, held a show called "Men, Metal and Machines" in Visalia, CA.  It only lasted for two or three years and is no more.  It was great and I'm not sure why they cancelled it.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
My two favorite exhibits at CF were:

1) Rich's Monitor engine - favorite model of all time

2) Don Sadler's collection - seen at the start of Gil's 3rd video

Offline bytewise

• Dutchess Co. NY USA
Re: Cabin Fever 2017 Repost
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
There was a question about my engine in the right side of the photo above so I will repost some info.
The model is a 1:10 scale model of a prototype marine engine built by the William Doxford & Sons shipbuilders in Scotland in 1914. The engine had two opposed pistons in one cylinder. It was a two cycle, compression ignition engine with a Bore 20 in. and stroke 2x30 in. The engine was successful and in 1920 they started production of multi-cylinder versions for ship propulsion. Many hundreds were made up thru 1960.
There is a web site by the Doxford Friends Assoc. with lots if information about the company and their engines.
My project may be seen on this site. Search for 'Doxford Opposed'.
Pictures are attached: Prototype 1914, 1921 engine and my model.
I am in final fit-up and adjustment mode and hope to have it running soon.
Hugh

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
Great repost and great pictures  :cheers:. Jim, it's like Oshkosh with no runways . There are vendors selling any and everything, it's corporate vendors trying to lure us in on the latest and greatest, it's table after table of old farts like us showing off what we built (sometimes the Mrs. has to man the table if you are out shopping) . Best $100 hamburger you ever had: join us at NAMES this year and Vern (Stan) and I will personally see that you get the full effect.

Cletus

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
A fine looking bunch and some great engines  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I need some more time to study them but thanks for taking the pictures and reposting them  :cheers:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 12:27:37 AM »
Years ago, Schoenly and son, the organizers of Cabin Fever, held a show called "Men, Metal and Machines" in Visalia, CA.  It only lasted for two or three years and is no more.  It was great and I'm not sure why they cancelled it.

About the same time IIRC they were also doing a summer show here on the east coast . 2003 and 2004  was in york  2005 and 2006 in Leesport.  The summer show failed to turn a profit . They could not afford to keep it going  IIRC CF was a profitable venture from year one but not totally sure on this point.

I expect Men metal and machines was discontinued for the same reason as Iron fever.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
You're probably correct about it not showing a profit. 

Judging from what I saw at the MMM shows, there were plenty of model engineers there with interesting projects to show.  The show wasn't well advertised though so attendance may have suffered for that reason.  In addition, Visalia is some distance from the three big population centers in California and a considerable distance from the population centers of neighboring states.  A location somewhere between LA and San Diego might have been a better choice.  The LA metropolitan area alone has a population of some nineteen million.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal