Author Topic: New member Omaha, NE  (Read 219 times)

Offline Don32

New member Omaha, NE
« on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:34 AM »
Been reading this forum for some time and thought I would formally check in.  Been playing with some small steam, air, engines for a couple of years now, starting with some simple horizontal engines, made a couple launch engines and then the mill engine. All came out good and learned from each.  Found Kim's fine step by step on Rudy's five cylinder radial and it inspired me to make that one and now on my second one, a gift for son who is in the aircraft field. Always wanted to make this engine ever since Rudy put the plans in HSM.
 Very fortunate to have nice 20 x 24 detached shop that is heated and cooled  which has been used for antique car storage, then carving shop for decoys and now my machine shop.  My main tools are a Craftsman 618 which I have owned for 40 plus years and then added a LMS high torque mill which I added power feed and DRO and a LMS High torque lathe.  Have plans for a couple more projects to work on, a beam engine and a two cylinder model marine engine.
I am hoping that similar enthusiast in the Omaha area would like to meet and exchange ideas, coffee and etc.
Don

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: New member Omaha, NE
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:46:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum Don. Sounds like you are all fitted out with a nice shop and well along on your machining journey as well. Will look forward to seeing some of your past and future work!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:21 AM »
Welcome Don!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:59:06 AM »
Hi Don,
Welcome to the forum!  Rudy's little 5 cylinder radial is pretty fun to  build, isn't it?  I found the rotary valve really intriguing!  You should post some pictures of your engines.  And post a few pictures of your shop in the "My Workshop" section. I'd love to see your shop!

Kim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »
Hi Don and welcome to the group.

Vince

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Oregon
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »
Welcome to MEM Don.  :hi:

What LMS lathe and mill do you have?

I'll second what Kim said...............some pictures of your shop and engines would be great to see.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Don32

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:04 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Jim I have the LMS 3990 mill that I added the x power feed and also DRO which has worked great for me. The lathe is the LMS 5220. It has sort of DRO and it works okay but much happier with my magnet attachments for holding DI on the old 618. I could add that to the 5220 with some new attachments and may some day. Yes Kim the valve is sort of a challenge to make, in fact I made two since the first one I machined wrong and it ran the wrong way.  I have my second engine about done and will post a picture of it later along with my shop.  Will have to clean up a bit but its time anyway.
Don

Offline Don1966

• Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 01:24:17 AM »
Hi Don and welcome to the forum!

:hi:
Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Oregon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 02:31:14 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Jim I have the LMS 3990 mill that I added the x power feed and also DRO which has worked great for me. The lathe is the LMS 5220. It has sort of DRO and it works okay but much happier with my magnet attachments for holding DI on the old 618. I could add that to the 5220 with some new attachments and may some day. Yes Kim the valve is sort of a challenge to make, in fact I made two since the first one I machined wrong and it ran the wrong way.  I have my second engine about done and will post a picture of it later along with my shop.  Will have to clean up a bit but its time anyway.
Don

Nice equipment Don. I'm looking forward to pictures of your engines and shop.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill