Author Topic: Jesse Livingston Rocking Valve Mill Engine  (Read 21295 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Jesse Livingston Rocking Valve Mill Engine
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »
Todd, I'm not seeing any pictures for some reason.  Are other people seeing them?
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2017, 04:30:13 AM »
Todd, I'm not seeing any pictures for some reason.  Are other people seeing them?
Kim
All showing here, pc and Android tablet

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 05:40:49 AM »
Reply #59 does not show any picture here, either at the PC or on the Android tablet.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 07:47:56 AM »
Hi Todd,
Sorry can’t see them on my iPad either.... :killcomputer:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »
Can't see the pictures on Windows 10 PC and Firefox.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2017, 02:04:13 PM »
I'm seeing all of them. You guys have content from google blocked somehow?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2017, 02:14:40 PM »
Not seeing them here either, will try another browser.

Bill

Edit: nope not working with IE, or Chrome, or on android either.

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2017, 02:23:39 PM »
I've been messing with this a little this morning and I'm a little perplexed, but will keep working on it.

I'm using google photos and am direct linking which isn't documented by google (i.e., this could go "bad" but hopefully not for the same reasons as with PB!).  I'm using a shared album which has worked fine so far, and the new photos from my last post are in that shared album as well.   But for some reason, google is expecting a login for the new photos and that's why they aren't showing up.   So I don't think it is a browser issue.

I'll experiment a little.  Perhaps I need to do something special from now on when I fetch/paste the link in the first place.  I'll update the previous post when I think I have it figured out.

Todd

PS. sigh...maybe I should find a "real" photo hosting service, but I've been really enjoying how trivial the process is to go from photos on my phone to resized photos in the posts.

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
Sorry all, that was my bad.  I fixed up the photo URLs, and yeah the post is so much better with photos! :)

What happened is that for some dumb reason I was cherry picking the photos from my main photo feed in google photos, rather than going into the shared album.  You get very different URLs when you do that (apparently!).   Anyway, I fixed up the prior post so if you go back to page #4 of this thread and hit your reload, you should see them now.

Todd

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
Hello Todd, It's been a long time and I had intended to go right through your thread this afternoon to catch up but seeing your latest post I feel that I may be able to help you at last.

I also use and have used Google Photos and (Picasa previously) for many years. Over all I find it very easy to use and easy to embed images in the text.

I think you will find you are possible clicking on 'Copy Link Address when you need Copy Image Address. The album has to be open and the image has to be fully open before the menu containing the latter phrase is opened by right clicking the image. Left click on 'Copy Image Address' then insert as usual by opening the 'insert image' icon above the posting box to implant the  brackets.

Cursor in the brackets and right click then click paste.

This difference in the two phrases really threw me when the change over to GP from Picasa took place and took a while to realise.

You have to open the album fully then the image fully first

Hope that helps

Kind regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
Ah too late - well, never mind, the thought was there - now I can visit your thread at leisure  :)

ramon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »
Coming on well Todd, for soft soldering you may find it easier to "Tin" the surfaces first. That is apply a thin coat of solder to each mating face and then once cool assemble with paste flux in all the joints and heat, apply a little more solder if needed.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
That fixed the pictures  ;) Nice looking assembly too Todd.

Bil

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
Thanks all!

Yeah, I was thinking I must've done something weird to copy  the URL.   It turns out I did get the specific photo (i.e. starting with lh3.googleusercontent.com) but I found you get a different URL depending on what album you use to view it.   Go figure.  I knew something was odd when I first copied the URLs because I had to walk backward through the photos rather than forward as I wrote my post.  The photo feed is in reverse chronological order, and the album is forward.  Hopefully I won't get caught by that one again.

Doh!  I never thought about tinning first.  I do that when soldering wire, but for some odd reason never thought about it here.  Next time.  The little strips placed up front worked well, too.  Maybe I should have done more of that.

I tried to heat from the bigger parts to the smaller, but I think the steam inlet was just so small it cooked up way too fast when I got there.  The solder would melt but roll off (you can see a couple drips on the cylinder), so I suppose the flux burned off.  I picked it off with pliers, scrubbed the hot part the best I could with sandpaper (hot -- but cooled fast) and refluxed, which is why it held at all.  The solder stayed in a molten state at the cylinder so I think it got too dang hot.

I started on the valve chest sleeve but realized it would be very nice to have collet blocks and a spin indexer to cut those slots.  No, I don't really need that stuff, but my wife's looking for me to order some Christmas presents she can give me, so what the heck :).  I'll have to switch to another part for a bit in the interim.  I can't argue with more tools!

Todd

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2017, 05:20:39 PM »
Hello again Todd - firstly apologies for the cat but I wanted to show just how quick it is to get an image inserted. I thought that was a at least a neutral (or should that be neutered) image  :)

I have a feeling we are doing something different with our album set up as I don't recognise the reverse order you describe. I set my album up then transfer images to it as I progress. It is also easy to re-arrange the order should it be desired and save it.

I have been through your thread and have to say you've made a real nice job so far - I shall look forwards to seeing it run. My version is still on the cards - I have completed all the drawings but when I did the flywheel I thought a day or so later that 'those spokes look a bit on the thin side'  - Turned out I had misread my own drawings  :facepalm: I did come on to post about it but it coincided with that changeover period and all the posts previously made had disappeared. I'm afraid I had little motivation at the time to resurrect it!

However I'm really pleased to see how you have progressed yours and really inspired by it. I still think it's a lovely little engine so all is not lost at this end ;)

Regards - Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal