Author Topic: The Printer - In all its RepRap glory  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Joco

The Printer - In all its RepRap glory
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
In parallel to the ER32 collet holder thread I thought I might just share a few images of my little beastie.

Its a RepRap based design using an Ardunio Mega and RAMPS board. I have a Raspberry PI connected running Octoprint along with a little webcam for checking on progress without having to pop into the garage to much. I have done some minor customisation to the Marlin firmware - mainly the addition of the bed probe for creating an offset plan against the bed, referred to as "Auto levelling".

The box it is in is just some think MDF but all the fittings that hold it together are 3D printed on the printer. Cose I could.  :-)

So while this did obviously cost some $$ to make its not a commercial bought one.  The game plan is to (once I have the rest of the workshop fully functional) build a new version, probably using openbeam aluminium extrusiions, along with the abilities that a lathe and mill will give me to make a more robust and capable printer. Quite probably utilising a bowden based extruder system, although I would like to keep using the 3mm filament as its much cheaper per KG (at least in NZ from the suppliers I have found that have good quality plastic) than the thinner stuff.

Cheers,
James.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:10:29 PM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Online wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: The Printer - In all its RepRap glory
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
James, did you design this printer or is one of the ones with files supplied from the internet? I have been toying with the idea of making my own, using the one I have to print the parts with. I have a couple of E3d print heads sitting here, waiting to be put to use.

The one I bought is a Wanhao I3 Duplicator Plus, and I have to say it has worked very well for about 500 hours of printing now. Bed size is 200 x 200 about 180mm.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Joco

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:07:29 AM »
Tom - this is a "sort of" kit-set job.   I bought the various parts from a range of suppliers following the standard RepRap Prusa Mendel (v2) design.  Printed parts from on place, rods/rails/bearings motors from another, hotted electronics from yet another.  Put it all together.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Online wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »
Tom - this is a "sort of" kit-set job.   I bought the various parts from a range of suppliers following the standard RepRap Prusa Mendel (v2) design.  Printed parts from on place, rods/rails/bearings motors from another, hotted electronics from yet another.  Put it all together.

Cheers,
James.

I looked at doing that at first, but I wasn't sure of my electronics skills to get it done. Now, with more experience, and the knowledge of where to look for help, I might give it a go. I would like a bit larger building area ... 300 x 300 x 300 or so and I would like the bed to just go up and down, not back and forth as it does now.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Joco

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:50:26 AM »

Cheers,
James.

I looked at doing that at first, but I wasn't sure of my electronics skills to get it done. Now, with more experience, and the knowledge of where to look for help, I might give it a go. I would like a bit larger building area ... 300 x 300 x 300 or so and I would like the bed to just go up and down, not back and forth as it does now.

Tom

That's pretty much my plan for my next build.  Bed is Z axis, bed being nice flat aluminium with adhesive silicon heating pads on its underside.   

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal