Author Topic: ER32 Collet Tray in plastic  (Read 1173 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: ER32 Collet Tray in plastic
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »
You could save yourself some material and printing time by hollowing out the underside, if you print them top side down there won't be any need for additional support.

Jason, as usual, was right. I gathered my curage (and patience) and fired up Fusion 360 and drew me up a hollow 6 holer. Whadyaknow ... it worked ...

I cut back on all settings so the print is a bit rough, but it is only going to sit in a drawer.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sown up all wrong!

Offline Joco

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 06:26:50 AM »
Tom - nice tray.

I continued with my solid monsters and now have a full block of orange and a "purple"  block for some Imperial collets.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
You could be famous here James. The first person in the World to make something useful with a 3D Printer ...

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
You could be famous here James. The first person in the World to make something useful with a 3D Printer ...

I've seen some really excellent stuff at work. And the couple of days it takes to print them have been nothing in comparison with what it would have taken to make by hand. But it is not cheap  :facepalm2:

And the printers spend more time doing bunny jobs than ones for work  :embarassed:

Jo

P.S. Not that I can talk - I felt a sudden need to print off all my drawings on A1 before the old laser printer was returned to the supplier as they were going to throw out the paper and cartridges :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:16:58 AM by Jo »
Usus est optimum magister

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
Tom - nice tray.

Cheers,
J.

Thanks Joco ... I was just chuffed that it worked as that is more less the first successful thing I have drawn with Fusion360. I did learn quite a bit with that one piece. Onward and upward.

Tom

Offline Joco

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »
Thanks Joco ... I was just chuffed that it worked as that is more less the first successful thing I have drawn with Fusion360. I did learn quite a bit with that one piece. Onward and upward.

Tom

Tom - at the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, remember to experiment with the user parameters feature.  Some of the real power gets realised once you have dimensions/features running off these. Then just changing the value of one thing results in a nice flow on effect.  Its not as powerful as the fully programatic tools such as OpenSCAD but its still very useful. Unless Fusion has a full scripting language I have missed?!

Cheers,
J.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 08:38:43 PM »
Joco, no problem at all. I need all the help I can get and did not know about the parameters. Up until two days ago, I couldn't even get anything to stay on the screen :embarassed:

My wife and I are into fabric arts as well ... mainly traditional rug hooking. Laying out the pattern has always been a pain, and involved steps I didn't enjoy. Last night I fired up the computer and made a template that will help in the layout of a rug we want to do that should look like stained glass. Nothing brilliant to be sure, but it helped me learn, gave the printer something to do, and saves us several hours of rug layout time.  The template is 7" x 6" and is 1/8" thick. It can be used in any or all orientations.

Tom

Offline Joco

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 06:50:36 AM »
Tom - smart use of the tool I would say.    :ThumbsUp:

The parameters are a bit hidden but lots of tuts on the web so make use of them and experiment.
I cut my teeth on tools like 3DS Max, FreeCAD, OpenSCAD before moving into the AutoCad stable.  Took a bit of learning but with lots of online video hours under my belt I'm into it with avengence.   :cheers:
James
Wellington - NZ