Author Topic: Ball in Cone Governor  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Ball in Cone Governor
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
Having been away over Christmas I had plenty of time to think about the next stages of my diesel engine. It will require a governor as diesels are generally unstable, especially at low speeds, due to the leakage in the pump and injector.
Ideally this needs to be quite thin to fit between the crankcase and the flywheel. The ball in cone system would suit this quite well but I have not been able to find many details. The best I have is an illustration from 'The Modern Diesel' 13th edition published by Iliffe (attached).
From this drawing it is not easy to see which parts rotate and which are fixed, but the control sleeve does appear fixed by the yoke that connects it to the springs. There is something under the lower track for the balls that which is not obvious it may be some sort of rubber/resilient support or it could be a thrust bearing.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of governor?

I think that one surface should be fixed and the other should rotate so that the balls roll. Any thoughts?

I think that some form of spider/cage would be required to keep the balls evenly spaced and the system balanced  :headscratch:

Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Ball in Cone Governor
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »
Hi Roger

Looking at the drawing, I can tell you that the center rotates, the balls are caged (works like a modern CVT on scoters) and you can just see the end of the cage behind the left ball. There's one bush on the center axel that is stationary (the fixing pin is the one coming from you into the bush).

I'm not sure this design scales down that easily ....

Best wishes

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal