Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174233 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #870 on: June 02, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
Hi

Thanks Kim  :ThumbsUp:

The copper ones. these were in the solution upside down for about 6 hours

I'm going to try the salt water method next

Cheers

Rich

Offline samc88

« Reply #871 on: June 04, 2019, 06:10:42 PM »
That's coming along nicely

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #872 on: June 06, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »
Hi

Thanks Sam  :ThumbsUp:

Tried the saltwater method today

This is the way to go. Much safer and considerably faster. This test piece was in the solution for 1 hour at 3 volts. I'd say its twice as deep as the previous trials

Cheers

Rich

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #873 on: June 06, 2019, 07:46:41 PM »
Excellent - I am amazed how such a simple setup works so well. Wish I had known this trick years ago. Not sure if it matters how large a container it is, and how far apart the plates are - have you found any tips on that side of it?

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #874 on: June 06, 2019, 08:09:37 PM »
Hi Chris

If you look closely at the picture you can just see that I drilled the right hand hole 1/16" so that I could suspend the piece vertically from a piece of copper wire. At the half hour stage I lifted it out to check the progress and it fell off the copper wire which had burnt through so I had to fish it out and re attach. This test piece is brass by the way.

Perhaps a lower voltage and moving it further away would make a difference ???

I tried transferring the print to the metal with the iron on full heat but still no success. I still had to wet the metal to get it to transfer. I am assuming the ink has soaked into the cheap paper too much ?? I am using the laser printer at work and the cheap paper we have in it. Perhaps a better quality paper or even photo paper would be better. I also need to see if I can alter the print settings so that it prints on its highest quality. I think I will alter the drawing so that the outer border is much wider and then machine it down to size after etching which will give it a cleaner edge

Cheers

Rich

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #875 on: June 06, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »
Ah, thats the problem with the transfer. I used the Press N Peel Blue product which has release coatings to make the toner let go of the paper. I read that some glossy photo papers will work too. For plain paper, the water is helping dissolve the surface of the paper so the toner will let go. The plain paper will give fuzzier edges too.

For the wire, use heavyweight wire and twist it after putting it through the hole, so it has maximum contact with the part. Being uncoated, the wire will erode all the way around.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #876 on: June 06, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »
Hi Rich, your latest plate looks like the best one yet! Well done!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #877 on: June 08, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »
Hiu

Thanks Chris and cnr6400  :ThumbsUp:

Some more work in and around the cab

The cab roof has been rolled from some 2mm ally

I have made 3 little spring clips from the banding that you find around packing cases

As it turns out I only need 2 of the clips. A hole has been drilled in the cab roof right where I intended to fit the centre clip. The hole is for a brass tube extension that slips over the safety valve so that the valve vents outside the cab and not inside.

The clips are fitted with 4 1/16" rivets

2 turn buckles at the back of the cab, a simple bit of turning in brass and fitted with a bit of brass bar

The cab roof can be fitted/removed without the use of any tools

The left hand tank has been modified by the addition of a threaded bush.

The hand pump has been mounted in the cab. I have made a brass plate which has 4 tapped holes, M3, to match the 4 mounting holes in the pump base. 4 holes drill through the running board to suit. The by pass valve temporarily screwed into the tank. A hole drilled in the running board directly underneath the pump water inlet. A hole drilled in the running board in line with the new bush in the tank. I can now run a short pipe form the tank to the pump.

A trial fit of some pipework

Cheers

Rich

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #878 on: June 09, 2019, 05:36:43 AM »
Lots of nice work there, Rich!  The cab roof looks great, as does all the rest.

What size is the piping your fitting there?  It looks really small!

Kim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #879 on: June 09, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
Hi

Thanks Kim  :ThumbsUp:

The pipe is 3/16" (copper brake pipe) These are just rough ones and are not full length. Space is tight, I'm just trying to figure out the best route. The pipe from the top of the hand pump has to go to the clack valve at the front of the boiler and the pipe from the bypass valve has to go down to the axle pump.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #880 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
Hi

The pipework is very tricky and time consuming. Surprisingly there is very little room and trying to find a way through from outside the frames to inside is a challenge.

Making up the pipes requires patience. If one cuts the pipe a fraction short  ::) it won't fit. If the pipe is a fraction too long it won't fit  :facepalm:. If you try to force the bend too much it kinks  :facepalm2:

But eventually you start to get there

The pipe from the top of the hand pump to the boiler clack valve

The pipe from the axle pump to the by pass valve

The hand pump is designed to sit in the water tank and requires no bottom connection. My hand pump sits on the running board inside the cab so I had to make up a new bottom connection

A pipe from the axle pump to the other clack valve

The balance tube from tank to tank I made up as just the pipe first until it fitted. Then cut it in half and made up and silver soldered in the connection that feeds the axle pump

With all the rain we have had lately I have been collecting rain water

Cheers

Rich

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:21:43 AM by Firebird »

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #881 on: June 15, 2019, 07:58:41 PM »
Hi

I have one of these little mechanical lubricators

It will be mounted on the running board

I can't see any way of mounting it, there are no brackets ??

Anybody had one of these that could give me a clue

Cheers

Rich

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #882 on: June 16, 2019, 02:14:40 AM »
Hi Rich, I've seen that style mounted with a threaded outlet fitting through a hole in a deck plate, and nuts to secure it. This threaded fitting would be in place of the tee in your photo. The oil line is threaded onto the outlet fitting below the nuts (could be that same tee).

Other than that you could rivet or screw a mount plate or angle to one side and sweat the rivets or screws with soft solder to seal them against oil leakage.

Would have been a lot easier for the designer to provide some mount studs or extend the floor plate and add a couple of holes. Oh well.....
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #883 on: June 16, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
Hi

Thanks cnr6400 :ThumbsUp:

Now that you mention it I think I have seen some with the floor plate extended, I think the tank might have been a casting.

Oh and can I have this one please

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibLKg_uBaY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibLKg_uBaY</a>

I'll eat all my greens and wash the car and I'll look after it I promise  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rich

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #884 on: June 16, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »
An 8F  :thinking: that's a bit bigger than my Royal Scot, more of an extended Black Five  :-X

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal